Todays thoughts

bringbackmols

I'm absolutely delighted with the 3 points. They set up for one reason and from the get go was looking to waste time at any opportunity (irony being that McGregor picks up the yellow card for it despite all the first half time wasting alone).To drop points today was unthinkable so i'm really thankful for that.

Quick thoughts:

1. That really lacklustre at times, far too slow and tbh quite negative with the ball, slow to find forward thinking passes. Especially in 1st half. 2nd half picked up, though.

2. Hagi can't play right wing - wide. He isn't that player. He was not good today. how he got motm I will never understand. I know there is a player, I like Hagi, but in that position he is reduced to a shadown of himself. Also too many unnecessary flicks today. He chipped a through ball for Arfield in the 2nd half when all it needed was a standard pass which I thought was just strange.

3. Patterson looks uncomfortable at left back. Not his fault. He's just doing his best there. But don't expect that to be a genuine route to game time in the long term. I'm sure we're not, but if it were in any of our thoughts, I think today showed he isn't naturally comfortable in that position.

4. Gio made the exact right decision at half time I think. I was pleased to see that positive change rather than a straight swap Hagi > Wright.

5. Wright started off very bright, but a) that chance is absolutely awful, there is a mental block there imo. b) He hid from that moment on, got the ball a few times and just refused to go at his man. I think he may have a natural fear when he makes a mistake and that could be one of the reasons we won't ever see true consistency (probably the opposite from Kent in that respect)

6. THANK FCCUK FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7 points head. Come and get us!

Delighted with the win

Unhappy at the performance.

Hagi woeful and should be on the bench for a while and certainly be behind Sakala and Wright in the pecking order

Midfield 3 containing Kamara, Lundstram and Arfield shouldn’t be seen again.

Morelos has to be told strictly to remain around the centre of the box. Umpteen times he drifted wide to get involved leaving us no one in the box to aim any crosses at.

Patterson shouldn’t be seen at left back again

Wrong team selection for me. Why swap Lundstram with Aribo?

Also don't understand why Sakala is not starting ahead of Hagi. Can't for the life for me understand why he got sponsors MOTM. Slightly better in the 2nd but woeful in the first and cannot play out wide.

Again every SPFL with possibly the filth aside it should be 1 of either Davis & Kamara and the other along with Lundstram should be on the bench. It should be an attacking line up all the time.

Given what happened at County, a draw or worse would have set us back today. It would have given momentum to the tärriers. The 3 points were massive against Dundee hibs. They had 2 chances in the first 5 mins, and Watson’s header on the 95th minute nearly cost us 2 points. We had a collective poor show for most of the game. Tav saved the day and makes for a happy xmas.

Also don't understand why Sakala is not starting ahead of Hagi. Can't for the life for me understand why he got sponsors MOTM. Slightly better in the 2nd but woeful in the first and cannot play out wide.

Again every SPFL with possibly the filth aside it should be 1 of either Davis & Kamara and the other along with Lundstram should be on the bench. It should be an attacking line up all the time.
If Aribo got booked he was out for the Celtic game.

I expected a difficult game, it's United so you know it's a cup final to this lot. Also with the amount of absences they had, you knew they'd be nailing the basics down and when you do that, it'll always be difficult.

With Aribo being rested, it made no sense to me for Hagi to be wide, start with Sakala or Wright and give Hagi his preferred role.

Glaringly obvious we should never start with 2 of the following Lundstrum/Kamara/Davis/Jack out of the 3 Midfielders. Unless it's opposition where we are underdogs. Far too slow and minimal attacking threat.

Wasnt ever worried we'd concede. 3 points and very happy over here.

Hopefully we never play a Gerrard style team/tactics again.

2 holding players, regardless of where they are asked to play, should be binned for almost all the teams we play at home.

Can't be helped but left footed player at LB going forward (injuries/suspensions aside).

One of they days, but Hagi wide right with Arfield supposed to be supporting or go by him is never working.

It will only work if you have the likes of Aribo, Sakala, Morelos as a front three

Hagi will never be a wide right man.

Delighted with the win

Unhappy at the performance.

Hagi woeful and should be on the bench for a while and certainly be behind Sakala and Wright in the pecking order

Midfield 3 containing Kamara, Lundstram and Arfield shouldn’t be seen again.

Morelos has to be told strictly to remain around the centre of the box. Umpteen times he drifted wide to get involved leaving us no one in the box to aim any crosses at.

Patterson shouldn’t be seen at left back again
100% and god knows what GVB was thinking , fills me with dread just reading it.

The starting 11 was definitely wrong. What I'm happy to see though, is that Gio was quick to realise that and changed it at half time.

That midfield 3 should never play together again. I noticed for the 30 minutes Lundstram spent as the deepest midfielder he was constantly hiding behind Dundee United players. The centre backs had very little to work with in terms of getting the ball forward other than the long ball which worked a couple of times but it won't always come off. That improved when Kamara was the deepest midfielder again like we've seen in recent weeks.

I was quite shocked at how bad Hagi was, to be honest. His performances are continually getting worse and it's probably time for a spell on the bench. Sakala deserves that sport especially after his performance last weekend.

But in the end, we still kept the clean sheet, and we still won. Hopefully we've got that bad performance out of our system though and we get back to the progress we've seen under Gio so far.

There's alot to unpack from that performance. On the positive side.. its a game that we wouldn't have won two years ago with the amount of absentees! Some shocking performances in there but at least we have enough about us now to get over the line.

Another plus
Everytime we scrape through like this it fucks with their heads

The cheating celtic fan ref was not giving the penalty. It was the honesty of the Govan linesman that gave it. The ref had a better and closer view of the ball hitting the Utd players arm but turned a blind eye to it.

December is going to be a graft and a half. 3pts was the main thing and we kept the zero.

The manager was protecting Aribo today - he was one booking away from missing the Celtic game and GVB man managed the likely hood of him picking up a booking by keeping him on the bench until the later stages of the game

Thought we were terrible tbh and it looked like we could've played all day without scoring. Kent got pass marks and I thought Morelos should've burst the net a couple of times. Wright missed a sitter.

The manager was protecting Aribo today - he was one booking away from missing the Celtic game and GVB man managed the likely hood of him picking up a booking by keeping him on the bench until the later stages of the game
Sorry I wasn't clear. I fully knew why Aribo was not playing I just don't know why he swapped from Lundstram.

We got that performance out the way with 3 points. No one got pass marks today except Gio. He changed it twice when things weren't working, after 5 minutes and at half time.

I'm hazarding a guess here, but if Aribo picked up a yellow card today, I was told it would be the Celtic game he'd miss and not St Mirren. I've not fact checked that, but if true, and given who the ref is, I think the idea was to try win the game without needing Aribo so there were no needless yellow cards.

At least that's what I believe.

EDIT: Caught up with the thread, I see you were really asking, why Lundstram so ignore the above. Irrelevent.

Poorest we’ve been under Gio, some poor individual performances, others looked poor because of way game played out.

Don’t want to but have to give Utd credit, they were well organised and controlled the game for large parts.

They left 2 at the back with Morelos who, apart from a header just before half time had no joy until we went ahead. He had very little service but has to do more when the midfield are struggling. They kept two up to block the ball into Lundstrum and put pressure on CH with the ball and they’d switch the press between the two of them to ensure it wasn’t easy to pass through. In saying that Lundstrum and Kamara should’ve done more to find the space.

Utd then had 6 players in the middle of the park which made it really difficult. Hagi having a stinker didn’t help as threat on both wings would open it up a bit.

Got the goal from the pen and grateful for it but was more confident under Gio than I would’ve been previously. I don’t think we pick up max points in Gio’s games if Gerrard was still manager.

Would have taken a poor performance but secure the 3 points before kick off.

An off day, we go all in again on the 26th.

is it a rule in Scottish football that you cannot book a goalkeeper for wasting time between 0-85 minutes but if his name is McGregor he is penalised for the first instance ?

Performance well below par,although it doesn't help when a team parks the bus but at end of the day,it's up to us to break them down.
Important thing is,it's another 3pts in the pot,stretches the lead and puts pressure on them.

I think today showed that we can win ugly GVB will have learned a lot today about certain players and their suitability to the way he wants to play.
He was bold in his experimental approach of swapping players positions and also how quickly he changed when seen we were struggling especially in the first 15 minutes

3 points in the bag. I'll take that.
We won't be at our best in every game, but a dip in form today, I'll accept, rather than it potentially happening on 2nd January.
In Gio we trust.

Back