Todd Cantwell opens up on unfair criticism he has faced at Rangers

Unfair criticism for sure but it feels like the timing is always wrong when he's speaking out especially when the crunch games are about to happen. It's just inviting more potential criticism should the games go against us. Should look at getting a better PR person.

Not wrong.....however Todd, the time to do the talking is when we are sitting with trophies in the Cabinet, as this is parochial Scotland, and your comments will be twisted in more ways than an Olga Korbut Gold medal Olympic performance, albeit, you're only being honest.
Much easier to speak / criticise from a position of power.

You mean like this?

zrB34PV.png

I don’t understand all the calls for ‘shut it and do your talking on the pitch’
This is a media driven era. The players are obliged by the club to speak to the media.
What are you expecting? Players to refuse to answer any questions? Pre-clearance of questions to be asked?
The same people telling players to shut up would be raging if the club installed a media blackout and no information reached fans about anything

I see the Record already trying to put a negative spin on it

“Cantwell says Rangers stars won’t regret title failure”

They got that from an article in which Todd Cantwell has opened up about different things

That’s their hot take on it

Let’s be brutally honest here, if he played for them his “antics” wouldn’t even be a thing, in fact he would be lauded as a star. Through their history right up until today they’ve had horrible cheating diving bastards and not a peep from anyone.
I think Todd’s game is a bit like grealish where he invites fouls with the way he plays. It can be very frustrating for the opposition the only problem in Scotland is, as a Rangers player, the referees don’t offer the same player protection as others get.

So, according to some, the only people who are allowed to speak out about unfair criticism are those who win trophies? Everybody else should do their talking on the pitch? That's essentially saying that unless you are a resounding success, you have no right to respond.

Why should a player not call out what he feels is unfair criticism? Almost daily on here you have people bemoaning the fact that the club remains silent in the face of criticism, and now somebody responds and it's, "Ooh, he shouldn't have said that."

Do your talking on the pitch belongs in the Cliche thread imho.

Same response as #26
I get that you think that's dead clever, but using that logic, he can repeat this if we win on May 25th even if the filth win the league?

You'll be happy with him winning "trophies" but Rangers not being champions?

You really didn't think that through, did you?

Great player.

He puts the effort in. Sometimes overplays a bit due to some of the rubbish in our squad not being on same wavelength.

Not without fault but we are better with him playing.

And he lives rent free in the goat botherers head.
Calling him a great player is one extreme to the other.

Cantwell has the potential to be a brilliant player, player of the season in the future potentially category and could develop into one of the best players in the country. I enjoy him when on his game in a Rangers top. His inconsistency is why he is at this level I suppose though.

Very likeable lad too.

Cantwell has the potential to be a brilliant player, player of the season in the future potentially category and could develop into one of the best players in the country. I enjoy him when on his game in a Rangers top. His inconsistency is why he is at this level I suppose though.

Very likeable lad too.
What the hell are you on about?

I've posted my opinion on him and my opinion is not extreme or going from anywhere to anywhere.

I rate him as a player which I'm allowed to do.

Very likeable lad
Your post is all over the shop!

poster rates Cantwell. You say it's extreme yet say he's got potential to be brilliant which is even better than great!

Your post is all over the shop!

poster rates Cantwell. You say it's extreme yet say he's got potential to be brilliant which is even better than great!
Not really. It's a bold, extreme statement to claim Cantwell at this moment in time is a great player.

I was trying to justify or even concede that he could become a great player though as to not diss the opinion completely.

Apologies.

Good article speaking the truth. He plays off the cuff and no matter what he does he will always have his critics look no further than this site when things go wrong. He would never be out of my starting 11 and I see absolutely no reason why he should leave . We have no other player who can change a game like he does.

I get that you think that's dead clever, but using that logic, he can repeat this if we win on May 25th even if the filth win the league?

Cantwell shouldn't speak unless he's won trophies.
He's won the League Cup.
Aye, but that's singular. I said trophies, plural.

So the rule is now win one trophy - Shut up. Wiin two trophies - SPEECH

You're a brave man to argue with that kind of logical thinking.

They done it with Morelos and the same with Cantwell and they will continue with any other players that our support like or are a threat to their beloved Celtic. Put the spotlight on them demonise them and make them a target for shite referees.

Whatever.

Some of the posts on here about Todd are scandalous. I have heard a couple of absolute throbbers refer to him as TikTok Todd. Talk about buying into an agenda created by that lot. F.uck me!!!
And we all know where the tik tok thing came from.

I've no idea how anyone can claim to be a Rangers fan while joining a piece of shit like sutton in trashing our players.

Great player.

He puts the effort in. Sometimes overplays a bit due to some of the rubbish in our squad not being on same wavelength.

Not without fault but we are better with him playing.

And he lives rent free in the goat botherers head.
Great players deliver consistently and when it matters, neither of which todd does.

Fùcking hell.

No reply would have been better than that :)) :))
Learned the hard way on here Bud, that sometimes voicing your opinion in a certain way sees you staring at a ban.
As a very wise Poster once put it, rather than get banned, just view the likes on your comment to gauge the feeling.
That's where I'm at.

Learned the hard way on here Bud, that sometimes voicing your opinion in a certain way sees you staring at a ban.
As a very wise Poster once put it, rather than get banned, just view the likes on your comment to gauge the feeling.
That's where I'm at.
Not a great strategy given 8 people liked your original post about only talking when trophies (plural) were in the cabinet and 20 people liked the poster who told you Todd is entitled to speak.

Enjoy the game.

Not a great strategy given 8 people liked your original post about only talking when trophies (plural) were in the cabinet and 20 people liked the poster who told you Todd is entitled to speak.

Enjoy the game.
And that exactly demonstrates there are differing Schools of thought.
Other factors play a part, such as some of a certain age group think it's a must for feelings to be broadcast via Social Media. Other age groups think the talking should be done on the Pitch, more so in the parochial hellhole that is Scotland.
You can bet your bottom dollar, some media deranged a&se&oles will take him to task for those comments.
I'm not looking for an argument, I think he's one of our best players, but we've seen Sutton take great joy in calling him Tik Tok Todd, and making other disparaging remarks towards him via Social Media.
I don't necessarily like our players being ridiculed, as I'm sure you don't neither.

I have no problem with Todd Cantwell. He's the type of player who invites opinion and everybody has one.

Even the arseholes.

Outsiders will say what they want. It's those who claim to be Rangers supporters and throw him under the bus at every opportunity that bother me.

Nothing to do with the article as such, but I'm not 100% sure the lad will necessarily be here next season.

My instinct is that he may seek a move back south. Just my gut feeling.

I also remain unconvinced that him and Clement are on genuinely good terms.
For me personally he doesn't create or score enough goals for my liking and I think he has been very inconsistent at times and I think he is one we will look to move on this summer same could be said for many others too.

The Grandads lining up having a go at him, when he doesn't get to choose if he speaks or not, it's part of his role and the interviews are set up for him.

Personally, I love the guy.

But, if he really feels compelled to give an in-depth interview to someone, why doesn't he give it to Heart and Hand or something rather than to one of the rags responsible for creating and perpetuating the myths about himself that he's attempting to debunk.

Last edited:
He's won the League Cup.

By that logic, the 55 title winning team weren't allowed to speak, the St Johnstone cup winners of that season were.

How can you argue with that?

That's where I'm at.
I'd rather speak freely than worry about a ban, but each to their own.

As someone who copped a ban for having a go at snp voters, I'm not going to steer clear of worrying what they think.

If I get banned again, so be it.

He’s already got the first trophy of the season, and can get another 2, he’s entitled to fucking speak.
Your right. It shows he has belief we can pull this back , to speak up. That's what we want our players to be like.

He's our most creative player by a long way, he's got a bit of fight about him, what's not to like

I'd rather speak freely than worry about a ban, but each to their own.

As someone who copped a ban for having a go at snp voters, I'm not going to steer clear of worrying what they think.

If I get banned again, so be it.
I'm with you re the SNP !

If he played for them the attitude of the Scottish Mhedia towards him would be totally different
Cantwell at Celtic would be described as some kind of jewel of Scottish football and celebrated as such in the media.

The derision of skilful players at Ibrox as some kind of fancy-dan who hasn’t really settled is tiresome & predictable.

He's won the League Cup.

McFadden, Stewart and of the media 'sportswriters' NO trophies but qualified to say whatever they want.

See if you are going to go on about unfair treatment and criticism everywhere you go...maybe a lot of it is warranted.

Really disappointed to be back at this stage with Cantwell. He looked to have grown up and worked hard to win big Phil over but back to the usual flattering to deceive and insta nonsense.

Hopefully we can cash in this Summer.

Back