Todd cantwell tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good game tonight but I think the time is probably right for him to go while we can still get a fee for him rather than the usual leaving for free under a cloud and all goodwill from the fans gone.

We need players who can have games like that consistently, he just doesn't do it regularly enough.

A bird can't fly in a cage.

Thinks he's a special player, when in reality he is a slightly above average English championship level midfielder. Capable of some excellent stuff, but more often than not completely anonymous.

Far too inconsistent for me. Shows flashes but quite often has no real end product

He wouldn't get near their starting line up. This has to change if we want to win the title. Would happily try and get a fee for him and Raskin. They will not make up two of a three man midfield if we have ambitions on winning the league

Clement has not played him in the two biggest games of the season and said at the weekend it wasn’t a game for Cantwell.

Would not be surprised if he moves on. There is something there with Cantwell and it is frustrating we are not getting it out of him consistently
I will qualify this by first saying he was again kicked around the park with no protection from the ref

For me, we would miss the second half Cantwell, especially the version we got once the going was good - the energy and busyness mixed with his undoubted skill could still be big for us

But the first half version was the frustrated and head down player. I may of course change my mind on a rewatch but our attacking play was shapeless and individuals seemed out of ideas.

On balance, I’d prefer to keep him and see what he can do with actual wide players in our squad and more energy behind him in midfield

He’s a likeable guy and has given some great moments, but he’s one of our more sellable assets and his output simply isn’t consistently good enough.

I think he’s leaving and he certainly does deserve to go with the goodwill of all bears. A shame his time here didn’t deliver more.

He isn’t a team player and should go in the summer as well

Only produces against the poor teams , and gets dropped in big games - won’t start in the cup final either as another one who is only interested in his game than the team

I’d love Cantwell to stay, and hope he does because when he is loved and when he gets the arm around him and a team is allowed to give him freedom, he can be a terrific player and can bring us better results.

Yes there’s been games where he’s maybe not shown his best form, but he’s still a maverick type player who requires freedom, so I do think we should do all we can to keep him and build something with him here.

One to keep.

I wish him well, but Cantwell is one of too many players who are more or less exactly where they were this time last year, and some (not Cantwell) have regressed. For me he's in the "maybe he'll do better with a good pre-season and better players around him" category with somebody like Diomande, but I feel like there shouldn't be a question mark over this: By now, he should unquestionably have given us 10+ goals, 10+ assists and pushed on into the "build the team around him" camp. In Cantwell's case, that can't be explained by injury, and I don't think it can be blamed on the manager either.

He's contributed, but he hasn't been the solution I think we thought we were getting this time last year. I'm on the fence, if we get a really decent fee I would sell him and replace, but I don't have a problem with retaining him for next season's squad.

He’s a player we must keep .
Other players should be moved on before him .
If we're going to field midfield dross alongside him, or play him out of position, then yes, gert shot of him. No point keeping him then.

But if you want to see goals being laid on, crosses sent in, quick passing and good vision/creativity, shots fired in and some pretty entertaining and quite cutting interplay up front between other good, driven players ... then keep him on.

He may be big headed but he's certainly talented.
Play him the right way, with other players that want to go forwards and score, and he'll do well for us.

If he could perform to half of the level his massive ego thinks he is for every game we would be fighting off £25M bids from down south this summer.

However back in the real world we'll sell him to an aspirational English Championship club with a few quid for a punt for a fraction of that.

He's been frustrating since he signed, turns up now and again! Great against Hearts in the semi, rotten next few games, dropped for the biggest of the season then shows up again tonight.

I'd like to keep him for one more season, at least until Jan but never been convinced Clements a massive fan

His celebration, then walking round the stadium at full time looked like he was fighting back the tears, on sky just now with red looking eyes. Am I reading into this or could it be a goodbye to Ibrox?
When he was waving at the fans he pulled his jersey over his face as if to wipe tears. Could've also been to wipe sweat but his eyes also looked a bit wet during the interview and he seemed a bit tense. Could've been sweaty so I'm not jumping the gun but I did definitely think myself that he looked a bit emotional

Radio Scotland were putting the boot into him the whole of the first half on radio. Couldn’t contain there disdain for him and his supposed theatrics when tackled. Funny they say not a jot when any of the Japanese at that lot do the same constantly.

Clement said he had fire on and off the ball tonight and that’s the Todd he wants to see.

Get the impression that is where they don’t see eye to eye

Wish he played like that more, we’d maybe be champions.
When you actually allow him the freedom to play and express himself this is what he can do.
To borrow an ex managers mantra, Clement needs to take the hand brake off

Might well have been his last game at Ibrox, for Rangers; the manager obviously doesn't rate him, otherwise he wouldn't have left him out of the starting 11 for the two biggest games of the season. I for one will be sad to see him go, if he does leave in the summer.

Great player, who doesn’t get respected on the line up enough. My opinion is that , he tried damn hard to conform his natural instincts to attack , at the behest of both beale and clement .

Perhaps when we improve the squad, attacking players like Todd can be respected to attack , defenders can be demanded to defend , and strikers can be supported consistently to score .
It’s hard to critique Todd Cantwell , when the balance in this squad is banal.

On a side note , I adore the love he has for our club, and the contempt he keeps for the MSM in this country , and the haters of our club. Rangers supporters would do well to consider these facts. He is an exceptional talent , that needs positivity from his own , to be his best . The manager should give him a fucking break , by letting him play in the team , in my humble opinion .

Agree we need work horses not show ponies.
Lots to criticise Cantwell for, work-rate isn’t one of them.

He lacks tactical discipline (as called out by the manager earlier in the season) and his decision making is sometimes dreadful. But he runs himself into the ground (often aimlessly, granted) every game he plays.

There surely will be a clear out of players, Todd is one of the better ones overall, there are many who should be moved on long before him.

But we can’t clear the whole squad.

Should be kept.

Not particularly bothered if he stays or goes. Yes he’s a good player but inconsistent and has the odd injury. Stop start from him.

Get the feeling Clemente doesn’t overly rate him, and for that reason I would be more inclined to let him go if we get decent money so Clemente can bring in his own man in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back