Todd cantwell tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks after the end of the season is the time to assess whether to keep or move on players.

You need that time to get the recency bias out your head and assess contribution over the entire season.

No denying Cantwell has talent and was very good tonight in the second half, but has he stepped up enough during the season when we needed him?

I don’t think it’s odds on to assume he will get significantly better or will change the style of how he plays. He’s 26 and a stubborn (not all in a bad way) character. I think what we’ve seen so far is what we’ll always get from him - up to the manager to decide whether he can utilise that to the maximum.

I’m so scunnered that I don’t have an affinity for any of them bar Butland, and we know he’ll be sold to bump up the summer transfer kitty, so it’s not worth worrying about if he stays or goes.

After reading the van Rumst interview on Rangers Review from earlier this season, it said Clement relies on a leadership team as a go between with himself and the dressing room.

Clement needs to replace that leadership team. Tavernier, Goldson, Lundstram and Barisic (the “senior leaders”) need to be shown the door and thankfully two have booked their flights to Turkey already.

We need a totally fresh start, rather than continually trying to build a house on top of foundations that are rotten.

Clear house, anyone can go for the right price, no sentiment. Clement needs backed and he needs to build his team.

Burns my brain that some fans would want him gone or even dropped. But then we’ve got fans this season who felt Tom Lawrence should be playing ahead of him so I really do give up when that’s deemed a reasonable topic of debate.

Yes he’s not been at his best but who has ?! He’s still head and shoulders ahead of the majority and could get back to his best if we get players in the final third around him better than the dross we’ve had this season.
If he’s so good can we expect a fair bit of interest in him from other clubs? He’s clearly not happy and the manager seems very reluctant to start him in the biggest league games

He's certainly one of our better players , the manager don't seem to fancy him much.
I'd like Todd to stay but can see him moving on in the summer

Dundee at home with nothing to play for- some are easy pleased.
and some are endlessly and terminally displeased!
A guy puts in a MOTM performance (aye, I know it was against Dundee) and he still gets torn to shreds.
The petulant and embarrassing sight of hundreds of "fans" leaving after we went 2-0 down just sums up how fickle some of our support can be at times and piling on to Cantwell after putting in a great performance is just as disappointing.

Bet you would like to see him gone but then I ask the question ,who really are these so called bears who would like to see the back of a player with his ability,I wonder.
Haha, cos I don't think he's good enough I'm not a so called "bear"?

How about me calling out so called bears who are happy with that standard every week?

He's a decent player with ability, but he's not consistent and not someone we can rely on to deliver.

Cut our losses, take what we can get and look for someone better.

and some are endlessly and terminally displeased!
A guy puts in a MOTM performance (aye, I know it was against Dundee) and he still gets torn to shreds.
The petulant and embarrassing sight of hundreds of "fans" leaving after we went 2-0 down just sums up how fickle some of our support can be at times and piling on to Cantwell after putting in a great performance is just as disappointing.
I aint tearing him to shreads.

I don’t see how anyone could find fault with Cantwell tonight.

Kicked from pillar to post in a country where the media and referees (and a disturbing amount of his team’s own “supporters”) are permanently hostile.

But he kept going and was man of the match.

Personally if the money was right I wouldnt be against selling.

But some of you guys will just move onto your next target then of course. It’s what you do.

Last edited:
Well he didn’t start against them in the last 2 defeats did he ?

I’ll tell you one thing Greig, we’ve beaten them once in 2 seasons & we played a midfield diamond with him at the top & we beat them 3.0.

Or do we continue with the 4231 insanity & expect a different result in 10 days or so ?
Part of that comes down to what I keep saying about him, when played further forward -- he draws free kicks.
And for all the accusations of theatrics, with some of the reffing we get he has to do that to get them.
Then he gets up and keeps at it afterwards.

Since free kicks outside the opposition box have been a major part of our gameplan for a while, I'd have thought Cantwell should be a significant player for our first team.

I think it's obvious that Cantwell and Clement don't see eye to eye and I think they're both too stubborn to come to a compromise on whatever the issues are between them.
If he doesn't do what Clemente tells him then he can't expect to get picked for tight games. Suspect he doesn't show enough positional discipline for Clemente when the team is out of possession, which contributes to how we are not a great pressing team anymore. Problem is that there's plenty of others in the same boat that are not great at tracking back - see septic's first goal on Saturday where O'Reilly didn't need to do anything special to find himself free on the edge of the box.

I think most are scunnered after saturday and the collapse this past 6 weeks or so.
We all are, there's no doubt about that but what's happened to our once famous "No Surrender" attitude?
I've been supporting Rangers long enough to remember when the team had a bad start to a game, the supporters were determined to urge the players on and play their part as the "12th man" and it worked more often than not and we got the result by everyone getting behind the team.
I'm sorry to say that some of our current "supporters" just behave like petulant entitled children that throw their toys out the pram when things aren't going their way when they want it.
I'd be interested to hear how the hundreds (if not thousands) of fans who chucked the towel in after 40mins feel after they learned we strolled out 5-2 winners and scored some great goals in the process?

I like him. He has an abundance of skill and is good to watch. His wee reverse pass at the edge of the box tonight was reminiscent of Davie Cooper. He is an entertainer who takes risks that don’t always come off but it’s better than watching safe sideways passes. He is targeted by the opposition for a reason, they see him as a threat.
That pass into Silva is exactly why we should keep him need more of that from him manager needs to work to get that out of him more often.

I’m a Todders fan

I’ll tell you one thing Greig, we’ve beaten them once in 2 seasons & we played a midfield diamond with him at the top & we beat them 3.0.

Or do we continue with the 4231 insanity & expect a different result in 10 days or so ?
The way they play is what's needed at moment we are to open and they just play through us

I've been very pro Clement and talked about backing him regardless until he has a summer window at the very least - however, if he's not going to be flexible in his approach when it's clearly not working the knives will come out next year.

I thought he looked like he was waving goodbye when he got to BF3 where I am. It could’ve been a a fan with a banner also though as there was about 50 different in there.

We all are, there's no doubt about that but what's happened to our once famous "No Surrender" attitude?
I've been supporting Rangers long enough to remember when the team had a bad start to a game, the supporters were determined to urge the players on and play their part as the "12th man" and it worked more often than not and we got the result by everyone getting behind the team.
I'm sorry to say that some of our current "supporters" just behave like petulant entitled children that throw their toys out the pram when things aren't going their way when they want it.
I'd be interested to hear how the hundreds (if not thousands) of fans who chucked the towel in after 40mins feel after they learned we strolled out 5-2 winners and scored some great goals in the process?
We now have fans instead of supporters.

Part of that comes down to what I keep saying about him, when played further forward -- he draws free kicks.
And for all the accusations of theatrics, with some of the reffing we get he has to do that to get them.
Then he gets up and keeps at it afterwards.

Since free kicks outside the opposition box have been a major part of our gameplan for a while, I'd have thought Cantwell should be a significant player for our first team.

I think when he’s on it he takes us to another level Skorn.

One point a number of people have ignored is the amount of times this season he’s played with his left thigh strapped up. Maybe 15-20 earlier in the season, including Rugby Park in the opener as a sub. I think he may have been fighting injury all season.

Doesn’t do it enough when it matters. Played well tonight just like he did last season when the league was over.

Sell.

Exactly this. Another who does it when there’s nothing to play for. It’s been clear to some from day one Clement thinks he’s a one trick pony and doesn’t rate him. He’s going and it’s the right decision

We need much better players.

We now have fans instead of supporters.
That's a very succinct comment.
I quite agree!
Sadly being a "supporter" now attracts moronic comments of being a "happy clappy" and other such nonsense.
Let's get back to basics by supporting our team and enjoying talents like Cantwell when they turn in a good performance rather than continually putting a negative spin on absolutely everything.
It's fkn tiresome!

I think when he’s on it he takes us to another level Skorn.

One point a number of people have ignored is the amount of times this season he’s played with his left thigh strapped up. Maybe 15-20 earlier in the season, including Rugby Park in the opener as a sub. I think he may have been fighting injury all season.
I'm a fan mate, but the manager is clearly not.

Whether we can get better with the funds available remains to be seen. We might well get an inferior player ability wise who fits the team and system we want to play better which therefore wins us the league.

Tell you what though, if it doesn't work and we get beat the first two old firm games next season the manager will be under a lot of pressure.

Cantwell is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and judging by Clement dropping him regularly I think he feels the same
Genuinely fail to understand how good he thinks he is has any meaning.

Couldn’t care less how good or shite any player thinks they are; surely you just judge them on how good they actually are.

His celebration, then walking round the stadium at full time looked like he was fighting back the tears, on sky just now with red looking eyes. Am I reading into this or could it be a goodbye to Ibrox?

Tik Tok Todd needs to stand up & be counted more often. He has the talent.

If we'd in to the Saturday game with a midfield of diamonde sterling and unfortunately lundstram with Silva and cantwell inside forwards supporting dessers.

We'd have had a much better chance at winning the game.
Not sure why Lundstram. Raskin was excellent when he came on at the weekend and was very good against Dundee. He drove us forward, Lundstram drives us back.

So he decided to turn up tonight against Dundee when the league was over.

That must be just as frustrating for the manager as it is for the fans. He turns up when he likes. When you are playing catch up you can’t afford to have that luxury.

I expect him to leave and go on to have a truly unremarkable career bouncing around a few different clubs.

Such a waste of a talent.

Played well last night and the second half in the semi final. Doesn't do that nearly enough though.

Mental that Clement seen fit to start Lawrence ahead of him on Saturday though after his perfomance in the previous old firm game. Even more mental he never got on at all despite players like Wright coming on.

Which has been part of my point…

Something is missing there for him to be trusted in what is our biggest game

Just not sure what… but if there’s something that this squad have been fantastic at at times, it’s turning up when the pressure is off. I still think there is nothing to read into the 3-0 game

We full agree with each other that 4231 isn’t the way to go against them.

Is a diamond the answer? I’m not sure because of the way we now use the full backs - I think that’d be criminally narrow

So that leaves us with more of a 433, and at that point are we in danger of pulling him too far back? I’d almost be tempted to play him off the left, but the very few times he’s gone missing, that’s been where he started

Unless we are expecting a large offer for him then I think him leaving is a huge mistake. We have a huge turnover expected, surely we plan on keeping some players ! Plenty should be chased before him in my opinion
I don't see why anyone would be thinking of a large offer. His manager has dropped him for some of the biggest matches this season. Phil must be ruthless in this rebuild and that includes todders.

I'm a fan mate, but the manager is clearly not.

Whether we can get better with the funds available remains to be seen. We might well get an inferior player ability wise who fits the team and system we want to play better which therefore wins us the league.

Tell you what though, if it doesn't work and we get beat the first two old firm games next season the manager will be under a lot of pressure.

I’m already like many fans questioning big Phil Cav.

At our level of football, including Europe of course, surely our manager must have a plan B at least ?

I don’t recall Phil changing our system once so far, no matter the opponent.

At a personnel level, how he could choose Tom Lawrence to play at Parkhead after his performance at Ibrox is actually staggering. Lawrence wasn’t even close in terms of fitness & mobility.

Reactions: cav
Cantwell deserves better players around him than he has mostly had in his time at Rangers.

When he's not playing it's clear his presence is badly missed.

Perhaps he has not impacted the OFs as we wouldn't expected but nobody at Rangers did this season so it's an unfair individual criticism if levelled at Cantwell.

I'd be sorry to see him go and I'd be excited to see him play in a better XI once Clement makes this is own team.

I like him but he’s too inconsistent and his numbers are shite for his position.

Ultimately, I have no attachment to any of these players, if the manager wants them all gone then that’s fine with me. They’re only getting what is deserved.

Davie Cooper was a bit like Todd you could tell after ten minutes if he was up for it much more talent it has got to be said. Not much mentioned about the constant fouls on him last night it seemed like scumdee trying to kick him out of the cup final.

Davie Cooper was a bit like Todd you could tell after ten minutes if he was up for it much more talent it has got to be said. Not much mentioned about the constant fouls on him last night it seemed like scumdee trying to kick him out of the cup final.
Last night was yet another 'inept' performance from the referee, Cantwell was given no protection.

I like Cantwell, I think he does more than enough effort wise and always try to start something, the problem is teams are allowed to have a number of free hits at him. He gets no protection and you see after he's been done a few times he trys to find space in parts of the pitch that he doesn't need to be in, this 100% effects his game. Once you see the players starting to slow down and get tired he comes into the game again as they are not in the positions to continue to kick him.

He will be a great player once we sort out our squad next season, I'm all for a rebuild and get a fresh start for the majority of this team, Cantwell for me is one I would love to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back