Tom Culshaw

MarcoNegri

Not sure if stats back this up but feels like our set pieces both offensively and defensively have deteriorated big time since he left with Gerrard.

By all accounts this was his main responsibility when he was at the club and he had us in a good place in this area.

I still can't get over that 3rd goal last night.

Not sure if stats back this up but feels like our set pieces both offensively and defensively have deteriorated big time since he left with Gerrard.

By all accounts this was his main responsibility when he was at the club and he had us in a good place in this area.

we still look like we will concede at every set piece.

I’ve been saying this for 18 months we are shocking at defending set pieces we are all over the place defending them .I can’t watch when other teams have a corner or free kick

Last night Goldson was inches away with a header and later in game I think was Danilo only had to stick his head out and would have scored from a free kick.

The other end the less said the better embarrassing

Unless I was imagining things I'm sure Goldson was picking up De Jong in the first half, so not sure what the hell happened? Abysmal goals to lose.
not seen it back but my original thought last night was goldson was marking him but de jong ran offside from back to front and goldson didnt want to go with him in case he played others on onside behind him.

De Jong then ends up miles onside when the ball is played and has pretty much a free header

Unless I was imagining things I'm sure Goldson was picking up De Jong in the first half, so not sure what the hell happened? Abysmal goals to lose.

After Souttar struggled a bit against him last week, it was Goldson picking him up last night.

However, for some reason that was altered and we had the mismatch of Lammers v De Jong.

Last night Goldson was inches away with a header and later in game I think was Danilo only had to stick his head out and would have scored from a free kick.

The other end the less said the better embarrassing
That nobody was attacking the back post to tap that in is criminal.

Ironically the crosser of said ball scored by doing just that a few minutes later. Why is it our right back seems to be the only one willing to do this?

After Souttar struggled a bit against him last week, it was Goldson picking him up last night.

However, for some reason that was altered and we had the mismatch of Lammers v De Jong.

Which tbh, that’s inexcusable.

Lammers gets smaller when he jumps.

No idea why we’d make that switch.

It should be Goldson every time.

Last edited:
See when you see the dejong goal from the free kick back from the other angle Tav and Lammers are both under the ball and then there are 5 rangers players all marking each other. Goldson, Souttar, Sterling, and two others. It's absolutely comical defending.

We had something like £10m worth of forwards on the bench last night and we are still sitting with Tav, Goldson, Souttar & Borna as a back four.

We are still losing the same amateurish goals as we were three seasons ago.

There is a saying that comes to mind...

I would give him what he wants to return

Set plays have been a shambles since Gio

That nobody was attacking the back post to tap that in is criminal.

Ironically the crosser of said ball scored by doing just that a few minutes later. Why is it our right back seems to be the only one willing to do this?

How many times did Morelos bundle the ball into tht net sometimes it was untidy and nearly missed but he got it in.

At least 4/5 times this season ball has went across the face of goal and our strikers nowhere to be seen.

Defensivley we are horrific.

Corners or fouls that are coming in to our box we alwasy look like conceeding.

I watch through my fingers when teams have them against us, we look all over the place and lacking a plan with everyone just doing their own thing and not set up as a team
I've had a horror of balls coming into our box since that cup final against Hibs and bar the #55 season, successive managers have failed miserably to rectify it.

Goldson is dug shit in the air and has the bravery of a mouse so he is never going to get in about players.

Zonal marking doesn't work. Beale should know that
Goldson wasn't zonal marking last night. Maybe he should have been. There were multiple times last night where he was trying to wrestle / stay close to De Jong and wasn't looking at the ball at all.

Zonal marking where he actually watches where the ball is coming from might help.

I'm not suggesting we do 100% zonal marking by the way.

Culshaw oozes class. He just gets it. Could listen to him all day.

He wasn’t like that when the cameras stopped rolling. He was actually quite a dick, I’m sure a certain admin on here once he sees this will add to it.

We miss him beale should of bring him back
I have genuinely said it before. I know what this board is like for bringing known faces, but someone focused on set plays could actually make a difference. I certainly thought we missed Tom. Many of our corners are haphazard at best, and rarely anyone on the edge of the box ready to strike, ready to pass out wide sure, but not to pop a shot off.

Defensivley we are horrific.

Corners or fouls that are coming in to our box we alwasy look like conceeding.

I watch through my fingers when teams have them against us, we look all over the place and lacking a plan with everyone just doing their own thing and not set up as a team
Totally agree and I would go as far as to say that applies to our overall play, no plan and everyone just trying their own thing.

Most managers seem to have accepted these days that you need a mix of a zone + man-to-man marking when defending set pieces. Last night for their 3rd we went to a full zone. It's absolutely baffling we've let the best header of a ball on that park have a free run at a header

Just to add to this general point, I think we need better coaches (preferably including a Rangers man) supporting Beale. I'm convinced his team are pretty out of their depth

Back