Tom Lawrence

He’s not good enough to play thee games. His role in the squad should be to provide sub support / cover against the lower teams in the league, where he’s enough technique to be effective. For me, that’s a squad role we should aim to utilise youth players for.

Clement’s decision to start him, and not to sub him as soon as the red card was shown, was fucking mental! Even without the red he should have been told to hit the showers at half time.
I can get why he started. Cantwell has been as average.

But to go 10 mins with him and Dio as your CM was bizarre and nearly put them out of sight.

I can get why he started. Cantwell has been as average.

But to go 10 mins with him and Dio as your CM was bizarre and nearly put them out of sight.

2 things though.

6/10 cantwell is twice Lawrence. Cantwell hasn’t had a great season, but his level is much, much higher than Lawrence.

That wasn’t the only option. Sterling should have started in midfield.

As for Diomande, I feel for him. Playing on his own in midfield watching us boot the ball over his head.

He, like others can do a job against bottom six rubbish who park the bus. He can strike a ball, which helps in these situations.
However, he offers absolutely nothing in an OF game where energy and attitude can make up for shortfalls in ability. An empty jersey anytime he’s faced them.

But at least Cantwell puts the effort in, albeit not the required standard.
Sophie’s choice for Clement really. A lazy player who can’t cope with the pace of the game or a player who won’t carry out his instructions, has little discipline and is more concerned with flicks and tricks for an Instagram reel.

2 things though.

6/10 cantwell is twice Lawrence. Cantwell hasn’t had a great season, but his level is much, much higher than Lawrence.

That wasn’t the only option. Sterling should have started in midfield.

As for Diomande, I feel for him. Playing on his own in midfield watching us boot the ball over his head.
I think Lawrence was very decent in the Championship.

So you have a year out injured and then taking him this season to get fit. I get the point, but I think it's a bit more nuanced. We can all now see he is done.

I don't know what Cantwell is. Overplays it all the time and gives it away a lot. He's been piss poor this season.

Sterling in mid is a tough one, as there are so few options wide. Whatever you do, you balls up another position. But that's injuries for you.

The general gist of course is just sign better players.

Sophie’s choice for Clement really. A lazy player who can’t cope with the pace of the game or a player who won’t carry out his instructions, has little discipline and is more concerned with flicks and tricks for an Instagram reel.
Quite

It's a crap position until he gets some more of his own players in.

Reactions: WLF
I think Lawrence was very decent in the Championship.

So you have a year out injured and then taking him this season to get fit. I get the point, but I think it's a bit more nuanced. We can all now see he is done.

I don't know what Cantwell is. Overplays it all the time and gives it away a lot. He's been piss poor this season.

Sterling in mid is a tough one, as there are so few options wide. Whatever you do, you balls up another position. But that's injuries for you.

The general gist of course is just sign better players.

I think we need to stop expecting that players from the English championship, or even low in premier league, are nailed down to perform for us in these games.

Lawrence doesn’t have the physical attributes to compete with Celtic’s midfield. Same can now be said of Lundstram.

I think we need to stop expecting that players from the English championship, or even low in premier league, are nailed down to perform for us in these games.

Lawrence doesn’t have the physical attributes to compete with Celtic’s midfield. Same can now be said of Lundstram.
That's definitely a fair point. I have posted elsewhere that Lundstram was a journeyman at Oxford with half a good season at Sheffield united. I think Lawrence had more than that, pre injury, but it is true that if you buy championship rejects you might well end up a championship side.

In that regard Sterling is the exception and not the rule and seems a happy accident rather than any genius by Beale.

Cantwell is also looking like he falls into that bucket.

We also bought both knowing they would be past 30 during their stay and legs is a big issue for the side.

I would hope Koppen would find better cheaper elsewhere.

For example, Cortes and Diomande already look better.

That's definitely a fair point. I have posted elsewhere that Lundstram was a journeyman at Oxford with half a good season at Sheffield united. I think Lawrence had more than that, pre injury, but it is true that if you buy championship rejects you might well end up a championship side.

In that regard Sterling is the exception and not the rule and seems a happy accident rather than any genius by Beale.

We also bought both knowing they would be past 30 during their stay and legs is a big issue for the side.

Yes, agree it’s good we are looking more broadly.

Players we bring in have to have the physicality (like sterling, Diomande and Cortes) to be competitive with the pace of top level players.

It’s now athlete first, football brain second, then technique in terms of what is necessary to win.

Yes, agree it’s good we are looking more broadly.

Players we bring in have to have the physicality (like sterling, Diomande and Cortes) to be competitive with the pace of top level players.

It’s now athlete first, football brain second, then technique in terms of what is necessary to win.
Yup, some legs in midfield and wide, Silva was good but has no pace, and that's a different game.

They have to defend deeper for a start.

It's vastly different if Danilo, Cortes, Sima are fit and Matondo on the bench.

The manager can't do much about that. Although Sima was overplayed too much on his return.

When you look at some of our signings and theirs. We take Lawrence and I do t k so if he’s any different due to the long injury, but they get O’Riley from MK Dons I think and he’s been excellent for them. Be the next one they’re punting for big fees. We really need to sort our recruitment out!
Like it or not we don't have a midfielder who offers anything close to O'Riley or Hatate.
Sterling is promising and may get to that level, the rest nowhere near.

Think I already have. Maybe you should read my post again.

What a load of rubbish.The manager was down to the bare bones of a squad and had few options.In an OF game there is nothing to choose between Lawrence and Cantwell. Neither are good enough.
So I've read your post again as instructed and it's still a load of rubbish, your words not mine, The Manager didn't need to play Tom Lawrence, he chose to and it backfired again.

Absolutely spot on

So many excuses, the manager played him and he let him and the fans down AGAIN, the fact it was half arsed only antagonises the fans and shows you how far unconnected with the fans he is, after the baby fingers to the lips celebration against Kilmarnock.
The other glaring concern is the Manager is happy to play Cantwell as 1st choice for 60mins every other starting game, but then comes up with Lawrence who was a carbon copy exactly the same, waste of space like last Celtic game.
Genuinely what was Clement thinking and he has now put far more pressure on himself by some baffling team selections than he needed to do.

He is fucking terrible, a brutal footballer who I can’t wait to see the back of this summer. Two old firms in a row where he’s been miles off it but our manager has went with him twice in a row, brutal.

Back