Torino 75 years Superga tragedy.

River Plate's away kit tends to use the colours of Torino due to the links between the clubs that were forged during this tragedy.

Article about the connection the two clubs have:

I have a good book about that great Torino team and the tragedy that wiped them out and I've always had a liking for the club, much more than the likes of the Milan clubs or Juventus. That strip's a cracker.

River Plate's away kit tends to use the colours of Torino due to the links between the clubs that were forged during this tragedy.

That's a wonderful and infofrmative read.

Reactions: ao2
Thanks for posting.

This book by Dominc Bliss about Erno Erbstein might be of interest.

As you will know he was the manager of Torino. Whilst, obviously, looking into the tragedy in great depth, it also highlights what an amazing career and life he had.

Before this tragedy, where were Juve in the grand scheme of things, in terms of Italian football in general but also in terms of stature between the two clubs in Turin in particular?

Before this tragedy, where were Juve in the grand scheme of things, in terms of Italian football in general but also in terms of stature between the two clubs in Turin in particular?

My knowledge of Italian football is pretty limited so others will be able to give a more informed opinion.

As far as I'm aware, though, Juventus were the more dominant team in the 30's with the larger (national) support.

My knowledge of Italian football is pretty limited so others will be able to give a more informed opinion.

As far as I'm aware, though, Juventus were the more dominant team in the 30's with the larger (national) support.

Yeah for some reason they seem to have been the nation's overall favourite. Have you any idea why that is?

Anyway, it looks like Torino, as a club, really never recovered from that tragedy and Juventus have gradually drawn away.

Yeah for some reason they seem to have been the nation's overall favourite. Have you any idea why that is?

Anyway, it looks like Torino, as a club, really never recovered from that tragedy and Juventus have gradually drawn away.

I didn' know why so googled it. This article suggests it was in part to do with an influx of workers from the South of Italy to work at the Fiat factory:

Back when I used to read a lot of fanzines, there was a UK based Italian football fanzine "Rigore" ( I think that means penalty )
They had an article about why Juventus have always been so big in Italy.
It stated that even in Milan, its thought there are two teams, but the writer made the point that there are actually three, there are just as many Juve fans in Milan as there are AC and Inter fans.
Juventus also have as many fans in Naples and the surrounding area as Napoli do.
From memory, they could not explain the exact reason why Juventus became so big, but Genoa, who were successful in the early days of Italian football did not.

I didn' know why so googled it. This article suggests it was in part to do with an influx of workers from the South of Italy to work at the Fiat factory:

Just read it and again an interesting read.

I loved the way they turned their back on the scousers wee stunt, with the banner about friendship. You were instrumental in killing 39 of our fans, but let's all be pals now and forget about it.

I'm not asking you to google it, but maybe someone could enlighten me in what the origins are in Juve v Inter being the biggest fixture in Italian football?

I take it, this must go way back.

I read somewhere years ago, that along with the influx of workers from the south to Turin to work at Fiat, Juventus aren't seen as being a club particulary identified with that city (their simple black and white colours too play a part) and therefore they have a peninsula wide appeal that anyone can adopt.

Just read it and again an interesting read.

I loved the way they turned their back on the scousers wee stunt, with the banner about friendship. You were instrumental in killing 39 of our fans, but let's all be pals now and forget about it.

I'm not asking you to google it, but maybe someone could enlighten me in what the origins are in Juve v Inter being the biggest fixture in Italian football?

I take it, this must go way back.
See below.

Incidentally, Paulo Maldini once complained it should be redesignated as Juve vs Milan due to both being dominant at the time with Inter in the doldrums, but no question of it ever being revised now.

It's always intrigued me how utterly dominant Northern Italy is when it comes to it's football clubs. Milan, Turin, Genoa, Bergamo, Verona, Venice Balogna, Florence, all providing mid to super sized clubs. I can only think of Napoli from the South being of a similar status.

Thanks for sharing, an interesting read.

It's always intrigued me how utterly dominant Northern Italy is when it comes to it's football clubs. Milan, Turin, Genoa, Bergamo, Verona, Venice Balogna, Florence, all providing mid to super sized clubs. I can only think of Napoli from the South being of a similar status.
You missed out the Rome clubs, would you consider them north or south ? B-D

Anything South of the River Po is Southern Italy….According to the Northerners :))

The FIAT story and the Juve support seems to me the story put out by the Juve support. Used to work with a few. Guys from Brescia, Milan, Napoli off the top of my head. When asked why they supported Juve all were honest enough to say because they always won. This I’d think is the main reason they have the most fans.

Last edited:
Anything South of the River Po in Southern Italy….According to the Northerners :))

The FIAT story and the Juve support seems to me the story put out by the Juve support. Used to work with a few. Guys from Brescia, Milan, Napoli off the top of my head. When asked why they supported Juve all were honest enough to say because they always won. This I’d think is the main reason they have the most fans.

The glorio hunterasi, then?

Back