Toronto Maple Leafs (Rangers related?)

Every UK Hocley fan should have a soft spot for the Leafs, bearing in mind they are coached by former Whitley Bay Warrior Mike Babcock. And yes, I'm old enough to have played against him as well.

Donald S.Cherry and John Ferguson used to sing "The Old Orange Flute" on CFRB. I forget who the RC was on the morning show but that was what he got when Cherry and Ferguson were on.
I remember once on St. Pats. Day Cherry saying he didn’t really mind all the hoopla but that his people never celebrated it.

He was brought up in Kingston Ontario and apparently in those days it was a very Orange town.

Do you live in the Toronto area, if so, why the surprise?
My son lived in Calgary for a while and had to buy the premium NHL package to get the leafs games, it's most certainly not a Canada wide thing, don't really know what else you would be expecting in the TO area.

No I'm south of Calgary,

Every UK Hocley fan should have a soft spot for the Leafs, bearing in mind they are coached by former Whitley Bay Warrior Mike Babcock. And yes, I'm old enough to have played against him as well.

Nah;

Used to play in green and white
Used to be called the St Pat's
Don't stop about 1967
I'm a Red Wings man

Case closed :p
*I know the Red Wings are shite.

I remember once on St. Pats. Day Cherry saying he didn’t really mind all the hoopla but that his people never celebrated it.

He was brought up in Kingston Ontario and apparently in those days it was a very Orange town.
Was told he was in the Orange Order at one time but have yet to find any proof.

Cracking game last night as well (if you can get over the ugly green uniforms)
Cracking game if you ignore Freddie shitting the bed and Matthews losing face offs that lead directly to goals against.

The sweaters are a joke,had to laugh when Gord Miller said 'The uniforms are great Ray eh', and Ferraro said ,'Hmm I'm not sure Nyalnder looks like he's wearing number 219' :D

Having to listen to that excruciating Oirish jig seven times was torture too,still welcomed the seven goals mind you:)

Cracking game if you ignore Freddie shitting the bed and Matthews losing face offs that lead directly to goals against.

The sweaters are a joke,had to laugh when Gord Miller said 'The uniforms are great Ray eh', and Ferraro said ,'Hmm I'm not sure Nyalnder looks like he's wearing number 219' :D

Having to listen to that excruciating Oirish jig seven times was torture too,still welcomed the seven goals mind you:)

Ha ha, glass half empty sort of guy then?

Ya, defence wasn't the order of the night but entertainment in spades :)

I've been a die hard fan since the,Sittler,McDonald Salming days,and always hated when they played in those disgusting,ugly shirts.half hoping they were going to get thumped.:mad:

A few years back Cherry was asked on TV if he was going to the parade for St Patricks Day, he answered 'No I'll be going to the one in July'
Quality reply. :D

I've been a die hard fan since the,Sittler,McDonald Salming days,and always hated when they played in those disgusting,ugly shirts.half hoping they were going to get thumped.:mad:
I've been a fan since Keon,Armstrong, Baun, Ullman, Henderson,Brewer etc.

Dave Keon is my favourite all time Leaf and always has been, long before he was voted as the greatest ever.

A few years back Cherry was asked on TV if he was going to the parade for St Patricks Day, he answered 'No I'll be going to the one in July'
Everybody went to the annual parade, a bird I used to go with told me her Mum and Dad used to drag them every year when they were kids and she was of French stock, the Canadians just loved the pomp and ceremony of it all.

Everybody went to the annual parade, a bird I used to go with told me her Mum and Dad used to drag them every year when they were kids and she was of French stock, the Canadians just loved the pomp and ceremony of it all.
That was so many years ago,I can actually remember watching HNIC when he said it.
Showing my age ouch !

That's strange, his biggest complaint living out there was lack of Leafs coverage/games.

I have the sportsnet and tsn sports packages just like having Sky or BT.
Every game is on practically. If I'm watching Calgary we have local presenters during the game. Before, at intervals and after the game the program goes back to the main hub/studio I'm assuming Toronto. Goes like great performance from Calgary , meanwhile Leafs forward Austin Matthews blah blah blah. WTF :)) ......I don't have a big issue will TML, they are a fab outfit. I hope they get to the final and get trounced by us though

I've never heard that, but he has claimed that his ancestors are from County Kerry.

I’ve heard a pile of complaints from people outside Toronto that the coverage of the Leafs is over the top. It’s largely because they have far and away a larger fan base than any other team in Canada.

I have the sportsnet and tsn sports packages just like having Sky or BT.
Every game is on practically. If I'm watching Calgary we have local presenters during the game. Before, at intervals and after the game the program goes back to the main hub/studio I'm assuming Toronto. Goes like great performance from Calgary , meanwhile Leafs forward Austin Matthews blah blah blah. WTF :)) ......I don't have a big issue will TML, they are a fab outfit. I hope they get to the final and get trounced by us though

Last edited:
Only follow hockey loosely but why do the leafs keep getting smashed now weren't they beating everybody at the start of the season ?

Emigrated to New Brunswick. Bruins or the Habs were the popular teams.

We chose the Leafs......son is a massive fan.

Only follow hockey loosely but why do the leafs keep getting smashed now weren't they beating everybody at the start of the season ?
Still top five in the league but missing several key players and have been in free fall, or inconsistent at best since New Year,one of their top players didn't play till December and it's took him till just about now to get up to speed,their marquee player was injured for a couple of months and he too took a while to get back into his stride, throw in the fact the goalie who has been one of the best in the league has hit a slump and a few other facts,schedule etc and it explains it a bit why they've been slumping.

One theory is the players know they've clinched a play off spot months ago and the only thing they're playing for now is home ice advantage so sub consciously have switched off,the same thing happened last year, clinching early and slumping till play off time.

Just have to hope we're ready this year,but we'll need everyone fit and ready.

kejn0k.jpg

Looks like it´s Leo Komarov on the left. Top bloke. Called Leo the Lion when he plays for Finland, tackles the crap out of the opponents. Fans love his never say die attitude.

Or Danny Browns son playing for them.

Who you would also have played against. (aye the dad, not the son:))

Hockey in Feb/Mar we way different from Hockey Oct/Nov. Business end of the season, teams in both East and West conference's battling it out for playoff spots. When the tough get going.

Hockey in Feb/Mar we way different from Hockey Oct/Nov. Business end of the season, teams in both East and West conference's battling it out for playoff spots. When the tough get going.

This theory doesn't apply to the Leafs, the Leafs have more or less secured a playoff spot months ago and the only thing they were battling for was home ice advantage,now they aren't even battling for that,but one thing they certainly are not battling for is a playoff spot.

This theory doesn't apply to the Leafs, the Leafs have more or less secured a playoff spot months ago and the only thing they were battling for was home ice advantage,now they aren't even battling for that,but one thing they certainly are not battling for is a playoff spot.

No but other teams they are coming up against are, hence them losing more games. They should have been fighting for home advantage v Boston. They have dipped in form at the worse possible time.

I've been a fan since Keon,Armstrong, Baun, Ullman, Henderson,Brewer etc.

Dave Keon is my favourite all time Leaf and always has been, long before he was voted as the greatest ever.
I never got to Canada until 1974.needed my sports fix (no Rangers) it was the Leafs or Habs
leafs won out. Some great names there Cliff,my personal all time favorite Borg Salming.

I never got to Canada until 1974.needed my sports fix (no Rangers) it was the Leafs or Habs
leafs won out. Some great names there Cliff,my personal all time favorite Borg Salming.

That was the team I first watched,Borje Salming,Lanny McDonald,Darryl Sittler,Tiger Williams etc.

Rangers could do with a Tiger Williams these days.

No but other teams they are coming up against are, hence them losing more games. They should have been fighting for home advantage v Boston. They have dipped in form at the worse possible time.
A few factors come into play here, losing Gardiner and Dermott for a lengthy period when able replacements like Rosen and Borgman were already injured didn't help and we don't stand much chance against the Bruins unless Dermott at least comes back in time.

Coaching leaves a lot to be desired also with the way he's deploying two guys pushing 40, they should be getting less ice time to get them fresh for the playoffs, and in the case of Marleau should be getting benched as he's contributed nothing all season and is negatively impacting the team, but hey Patty has an Iron Man streak going so can't mess with thato_O

The Keeper of The (Stanley) Cup, Mike Bolt, is a good mate of my family - think I've been to the boozer with "Stanley" about a dozen times. Always creates quite a stir. Got an old picture somewhere with the Stanley Cup wearing our CR Smith home top and a Rangers scarf, have to look it out.

Back