Turning this form around

SuperGers07

I think most would agree there’s been a host of factors in why we aren’t firing on all cylinders. Covid, injuries, suspensions, farcical performance against Malmö as well as a stop start pre season.

We talk about the position of strength that, as a result of all of the above we have failed to capitalise on thus far.

With regards to the form, this side of 2021 there’s been a handful of good performances and we’ve slugged it through the rest.

From January onwards (maybe before?) we knew we’d won the league, performance levels perhaps naturally dropped yet we still found a way to grind it out.

We need to somehow get back to grinding it out if indeed we can’t score a fucking lot of goals at the other end.

That’s where questions raise their head, the summer window, in the main was botched. Lundstram who I admit has managed to do a 180 and win us over and fair play to him. Tremendous character. Other than that? Disappointing business.

Add to that seemingly allowing Goldson to see out his deal? His performances match that of someone whose head isn’t completely in it. He needs to step up.

Which leads to the here and now, in a current 4 way battle for top spot when really it shouldn’t be this difficult.

Our run of away fixtures through winter are the big ones.

Players like Kent and Helander will instantly make us a better side, but January will make or break the season. You would expect if it’s right then the other side of the city will throw a bit at it to ensure they get their hands on that UCL bonus.

Can we say the same? We look like we will need to bring in another centre half (Simpson now completely bombed out) and probably another striker also. Even loan deals could be enough to swing it our way.

We need to get to January and be right in the mix and make a final push.

We put away them chances on Saturday and we aren’t having this conversation.

That being said I think we need to find a settled starting 11 which we haven’t had yet this year.

The problem is we didn’t put away those chances , it’s been Groundhog Day all season . Adding to that we are conceding more this season .

This is why we are having this conversation!

I think most would agree there’s been a host of factors in why we aren’t firing on all cylinders. Covid, injuries, suspensions, farcical performance against Malmö as well as a stop start pre season.

We talk about the position of strength that, as a result of all of the above we have failed to capitalise on thus far.

With regards to the form, this side of 2021 there’s been a handful of good performances and we’ve slugged it through the rest.

From January onwards (maybe before?) we knew we’d won the league, performance levels perhaps naturally dropped yet we still found a way to grind it out.

We need to somehow get back to grinding it out if indeed we can’t score a fucking lot of goals at the other end.

That’s where questions raise their head, the summer window, in the main was botched. Lundstram who I admit has managed to do a 180 and win us over and fair play to him. Tremendous character. Other than that? Disappointing business.

Add to that seemingly allowing Goldson to see out his deal? His performances match that of someone whose head isn’t completely in it. He needs to step up.

Which leads to the here and now, in a current 4 way battle for top spot when really it shouldn’t be this difficult.

Our run of away fixtures through winter are the big ones.

Players like Kent and Helander will instantly make us a better side, but January will make or break the season. You would expect if it’s right then the other side of the city will throw a bit at it to ensure they get their hands on that UCL bonus.

Can we say the same? We look like we will need to bring in another centre half (Simpson now completely bombed out) and probably another striker also. Even loan deals could be enough to swing it our way.

We need to get to January and be right in the mix and make a final push.

I actually thought the corner was getting turned on Saturday, as the first half was the best I'd seen us play this season.

A good Hearts side couldn't get a kick.

However, you can't legislate for massive individual errors.

Our normally reliable keeper drops an absolute howler and our striker misses 4 clear cut chances, 2 of which were absolute sitters.

I actually thought Goldson played well and totally dominated Boyce.

I'm a bit more hopeful of a resurgence in performance and results than I was before Saturday's game.

Continually doing the same thing and trying to justify it by saying we played well for 45/60 minutes certainly isn’t going to work for Gerrard, that much is true.

Needs to be more ruthless with his subs, and as I’ve said since day one, having one single tactical system with only a couple of very slight variations is limiting.

But we didnt

And have scored 15 goals in 9 league games

Teams like St mirren only scored a couple less than is ffs.

That’s embarrassing
7 of those 15 goals came in the 2 games against Livingston and Ross County.
Otherwise it's 8 goals in the other 7 matches.

Which last season would still have seen us pick up points we have dropped.

Our defence is leaking goals too easily so it means we need at least 2 to win every game

Continually doing the same thing and trying to justify it by saying we played well for 45/60 minutes certainly isn’t going to work for Gerrard, that much is true.

Needs to be more ruthless with his subs, and as I’ve said since day one, having one single tactical system with only a couple of very slight variations is limiting.
Agreed. He and the coaching staff simply must look inwards and ask themselves if they are truly getting the best out what’s in front of them. We are approaching that point now that fans will only let so much go.

99% of teams have one 'tactical system' with slight variations.

I actually thought the corner was getting turned on Saturday, as the first half was the best I'd seen us play this season.

Our normally reliable keeper drops an absolute howler and our striker misses 4 clear cut chances, 2 of which were absolute sitters.

I'm a bit more hopeful of a resurgence in performance and results than I was before Saturday's game.
Agree with this it's been a total overreaction to Saturday and I say that as someone who hasn't been too happy with this season so far. If we keep playing like that and take our chances then we won't have many issues moving forward.

The way we are playing is impacting my confidence that we’ll win a cup final

Im hoping that Helander and Kent can come back and give us the extra 10% we’ve been missing

Slightly-ish.

In the main performances have been poor all season. The goals need to come. Scoring 1 a game, missing countless sitters and hoping we don’t concede is only going one way. Everyone knew Hearts were scoring eventually with that pressure building on Saturday.

Why when he won't dislodge Helander Goldson or Balogun? He's better off where he is and playing matches.
He will stay til the summer. Needs games, by which time he comes back and Balogun and Goldson will be gone.

We will still need to sign a number of CBs regardless

He will stay til the summer. Needs games, by which time he comes back and Balogun and Goldson will be gone.

We will still need to sign a number of CBs regardless
Katic will be gone in the summer regardless of how he does. I don't see Balogun going suspect he will be around for another year.

I would expect Katic back, just feels like he is being given a preseason, would expect the coaches would rather be working with him with the view to him being part of our CB group next season.

Katic will be gone in the summer regardless of how he does. I don't see Balogun going suspect he will be around for another year.
He will be what by then ? 34. He has said he’d like to end his career in Germany.

I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep him on

Injuries are an issue. Equally problematic is a loss of form.

At the back we've seen Tav and Barasic perform relatively poorly. Helander is out and that means relying on Goldson and somebody else. Unsettled back 4 that are out of form isnt good for the way we play, where Tav was regarded as a major attacking threat down the right.

Midfield is also an issue. Davis isnt fit enough to maintain any kind of form over a prolonged period. Kamara isnt a major creative threat and Lundstram has taken time to find any kind of form. Jack would give the midfield a bit of energy but there's still no sign of him. Aribo isnt a proper midfielder and playing him there exposes the weaker areas of his game. Arfield is finished. Bacuna may or may not offer something, but I don't believe he's good enough to be a first team player for Rangers.

Going forward? Kent missing through injury. Wright inconsistent. Roofe not quite 100% yet. Jury still well out on Sakala. Then you've got a badly misfiring Morelos.

There's no help coming until January. Even then it would potentially be a loan at best, or a player sale to fund any changes. The improvement has to come from within the club. The coaches need to find a way of getting the current group of players to work through whatever it is that's caused a significant drop off in performances this season. I'd still take winning ugly to losing beautifully, but the margins between winning ugly and just playing ugly are really thin. You can see us dropping points this season and I wouldn't be confident going into the cup semi final. It's definitely closer to 50/50 than clear favourites.

This is where Gerrard and his coaching team need to show that they can change things and rebuild player form.

First half against Hearts I thought we looked terrific, powerful, creative, hungry. Everything we had been lacking. The only ingredient missing was goals. (Which is obviously the most important one)

Second half we were OK. We created some great chances that with a bit more luck (Roofe's for instance) kill the game or with more clinical nature (Alfredo) we kill the game. The longer it went 1-0 the more likely Hearts would throw everything at it. They grew into it and their full backs pushed up along with wide midfielders meaning Tav and Borna were stuck in our half having to be covered by Kamara and Lundstrum.

I've said it already but the changes we made played into Hearts hands. We had no pace in the front line to stretch them or take advantage of their high full backs. But still, we take our chances and we win that at a canter

We are improving slowly

Defence equally as big an issue too

Last year at points I felt secure at 1 nil given how dominant we were not gifting chances never mind goals

Now that aura has been dented

Why when he won't dislodge Helander Goldson or Balogun? He's better off where he is and playing matches.
Helander is injured and I'm sure Katic will be more match fit than him come January..take for example if anything happens balogun or goldson who do we put in? Bassey?

The point is, we do have key players out and others off form. But we need to be able to adapt to that.

I understand that there are nuances to how we play, but the bottom line is it's almost always a 4-3-3. Whether that's with two wingers and a forward, a creative player behind a 2, one or two sitting midfielders, doesn't really matter. We're not flexible enough.

We have fantastic full backs. We could switch it up by going 5-3-2/3-5-2 to give Tav/Patterson/Barisic/Bassey more freedom (that wouldn't be my choice).

We could go 4-4-2 although without Kent we don't really have the wide players for that.

Either way, we need to be able to switch it up more.

I also think too that we don't attack with pace often enough. Without Kent, and excluding the full backs who attack from deep, we seem to take too long to create chances.

I'm not saying he should be in the team, but sometimes 'weaker' players can offer something different that we need. I'm thinking of the likes of Barker who hasn't had any game time this season. Or Arfield in place of Aribo.

Kent
Tav
Goldson
Morelos
Barisic

Until at least 3 out of those 5 start dominating games again then we are going to keep making it a slog I feel.

Roofe and Paterson I would start on Thursday. Try and solve things by mixing it up. Kent we just need to hope comes back like the player who ran riot in the festive period last year.

Goldson we can't do much about. But hard to say he is even close to reaching last seasons levels.

Morelos and Goldson are by far the two I feel are dragging us down performance wise. Harsh I know, but no coincidence those are probably the two who might well rather be elsewhere. Not solving that in the summer is looking costly.

We're not scoring. Score more, win more.
Goals to date this season (ignoring League cup)
Europe. 1 1 1 0 0 0
SPFL Home 3 1 1 2 1
SPFL Away 0 4 2 1
18 goals in 15 matches, 11 matches with either 0 or 1 goal.
We should have taken full points v Motherwell and Hearts. It should have been 3 0 at ht, both matches.

He will be what by then ? 34. He has said he’d like to end his career in Germany.

I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep him on
34 in the summer yeah maybe a shot at the champions league he might want to stay another year then go back to Germany. I wouldn't either as I'm not a huge fan of him but I doubt he's on a big wage.

My biggest concern is that we’re now going into late October and still seeing posts of “we just need to find that performance, it’ll come”.

Last season after every poor result I noted plenty of that lot saying the same phrases even up until January.

For the majority of games this season, we’ve struggled to create a lot of chances and we’re leaking 1 goal every other game. We’re also struggling to score more than 1 per game.

The only saviour so far has been that lot dropping points however, I have said consistently, if they can sort their defence out then they’re capable of going on a run of wins.

They’re scoring goals, creating many chances and their front 3 seem to be on form. Their defence has also looked tighter in the past couple of games too unfortunately although I do still have doubts over it.

We badly need to hit some form and soon as we have a run of tough away games coming and as it stands just now, I can only see us dropping more points before they do.

We have yet to play well for 90 minutes. Regardless of Covid, injuries etc, that is scandalous.

But we didnt

And have scored 15 goals in 9 league games

Teams like St mirren only scored a couple less than is ffs.

That’s embarrassing
We've scored in every game league game bar 1 this season and sit top of the league whilst joint 2nd in goals scored. Will take that all day long but the finishing has to improve

Helander is injured and I'm sure Katic will be more match fit than him come January..take for example if anything happens balogun or goldson who do we put in? Bassey?
If anything was to happen to either Balogun or Goldson then I suspect we would try to bring someone in. Katic has only just started his first league game for them at the weekend he has a long way to go before we were to even consider bringing him back to play here. He will stay there for the whole season and then suspect move there permanently in the summer.

Going by the weekend we have finally managed to create multiple clear chances, which we haven't been doing for quite some time now.

The final piece of the form jigsaw is finishing.

I'm hopeful now that chance creation continues and the finishing clicks .... Then we will scud a couple of teams and the tails are up.

I get the between game optimism and searching for solutions but for me, it's mid October now and we've not played a good 90 minutes once.

Every game is a struggle even against the most basic opposition; Dundee, Alashkert. The game against Hearts in isolation can be put down to a bad day but this season it's just another example of only playing for a spell.

I think we need freshening up. There's players in this team that have been very good Rangers players but they look like they need a new challenge.

The manager has earned the right to go how he wants but I think we're nearing the end of his reign. His team will be broken up soon and I'm not sure he'll be allowed to rebuild it how he wants to.

Aside from beating them which is always a great day, the games have been a hard watch this season.

99% of teams have one 'tactical system' with slight variations.
As a plan A, absolutely.

But so many teams also have a solid plan B that’s pretty different to plan A. Some teams can go from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 and back to a 5 or 3 at the back fluidly within the one game - we can’t.

It’s not the biggest problem, but a couple more approaches would help for me. This isn’t a new angle for me, I’ve said this since day one with Gerrard.

Ultimately if our players put away chances, it wouldn’t matter.

If anything was to happen to either Balogun or Goldson then I suspect we would try to bring someone in. Katic has only just started his first league game for them at the weekend he has a long way to go before we were to even consider bringing him back to play here. He will stay there for the whole season and then suspect move there permanently in the summer.
It will only be a loan we will bring in, January is still 2 months away and Katic could be more ready than we think but saying that he had had a serious injury what ever happens we definitely need some cover.

Last edited:
Against Heart's we played some great football and created some chances but when we get a break on the ball and catch them on the back foot we stop and wait for support it's frustrating it gives them time to regroup if we are going to stop do it in the box keep them on the back foot and press them hard.

We are that fluid at home in particular that when we are on top in particular our team look nothing like 4/3/3 TBH.

Against Hibs there were moments in the game you could have stopped in and wouldn't have any clue the formation we were playing.

In attack by the time Lundstram or Davis goes between the CB we often end up far closer to what can look like a 3 3 4 by the time our fullbacks are pushed high and out in wide areas looking for overloads and 2 v 1s, we end up with more width than a 4-4-2 for instance would offer.

The only thing that is missing is goals really. Once we get Kent back and Fashion settled then we will kick on. Top of the league and it’s as if we’re totally shite, we’re not.

When our style of play needs the full backs producing and they are off form we are always going to struggle, we just have too many players off form, plus I don't feel like we press like we used

It will only be a loan we will bring in, January is still 2 months away and Katic could be more ready than we think but saying that he had had a serious injury what we've happens we definitely need some cover.
Sadly Niko isn’t near ready. He’s only played 90 minutes twice so far

Back