UEFA update

Syme

UEFA has invited the general secretaries of its 55 members associations to a videoconference on Wednesday 1 April at midday to share an update on the progress made by the two working groups that were created two weeks ago and to discuss options identified with regards to the potential rescheduling of matches.

The meeting will look at developments across all UEFA national team and club competitions, as well as discussing progress at FIFA and European level on matters such as player contracts and the transfer system.

But Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin has suggested that it could also be possible to wait until August to complete their existing competitions.

Ceferin told Italian paper La Repubblica: "There is the possibility of ending this season at the start of the next, which would then be delayed and begin later."
Next season could be 'shortened' by making qualifying and knockout matches one-legged rather than two, or by altering the qualification formula in some other way.

English PFA chief Gordon Taylor has backed the plans.

He said: "I don’t see why there should not be a flexible approach by everyone to finish this season in the proper manner no matter how long it takes.

"Domestically there is a lot of money at stake which would have a massive impact for the game — we’re talking about three-quarters of a billion pounds in TV money."

While pushing the Uefa deadline back could mean more chance for domestic leagues being played to a finish, another radical proposal which has emerged today is banning Premier League stars from going home and forcing them to live together so football can kick off again behind closed doors in June.

That could see the squads of all 20 teams staying at separate locations — with no chance of going home to their families — until the season is finally over.

Keeping a team isolated as a unit would make it easier to prevent Covid-19 from spreading.

Matches could either be played on the normal schedule or in mini-tournaments in one location, such as the FA's St George's Park training base.

Does that mean it won't discuss domestic competitions?

Maybe not since it might come under the European Leagues

More sounds like trying sort the bigger issues first to see if any domestic campaign can start again

Null and void isn’t happening is it? Sooner we deal with that the better.

Next season ain’t starting until this one is complete, by hook or by crook, this season is being played out to a conclusion.

Global pandemic and players are forced to be away from their families....aye right....didn’t Bosman teach these clowns anything about Players now having the same rights as any other worker!!!!

Next season ain’t starting until this one is complete, by hook or by crook, this season is being played out to a conclusion.
Looks like it we’ll just have to get on with it

So as we all thought, it comes down to money over the safety of the players... Its also nice to know that kicking a ball around a field is seen as essential across Europe!

how can they possible think this will be safe when only yesterday the health minister in this country says social distancing will be in place for upto 6 months

shamleless greedy b4stards need to take a long look at themselves

So one legged European qualifiers and players being basically kept as prisoners.

Money talks no matter how ridiculous they have to make things.

Reactions: VGM
another thought is football is supposed to be for the fans

what good is playing mini tournaments or games behind closed doors yet again normal paying fans are getting shafted

also making footballers all live together and not go home until the games are played is one of the craziest suggestions i have heard

So player extends a contract by a month to complete the season. Ruptures their ACL - who picks up the tab for their rehab after their extension is done?

Can of worms...

what kind of world are these bampots on? Players, to self isolate themselves from their families for months. Honestly, it really is pathetic what money does.

There will be no football played in front of a crowd until October unfortunately these dumb cants need to wake up ffs.
19/20 Void new season starts in October no winter break and i would make CL/EL old skool 2 leg knock out rounds and no league cup.

The players will never go for that.

Also how does that give a fair and equal season in terms of home / away / difficult grounds to play at? Playing games in a training centre? Wtf.

Still doesn't answer the question on player contracts and squads. Those out of contract in June will see zero reason to risk their next lucrative deal by being injured in hectic 3 week end of season farce.

Rumminigge said in a press conference just before the season stopped it was about the money. German league could lose 770 million euros. So this is no surprise to me and I did post that he said this.

Bayern Munich being one of the big boys it was always going to be the main counties who called the shots.

No, he said COULD be up to 6 months.

even if she said Could be upto 6 months

it will take a month to play the reaming games if you play 2 games a week

then you have the fact that none of the players are going to be match fit

i dont see how they think this is possible

the new tv deal starts next season, would it not make more sense to try get that going as normal

Last edited:
Playing remaining games is best outcome.
However if not until August/Sept. it raises all sorts of problems.

For instance should celtc ,ourselves,Hearts etc be allowed to go out and reinforce our team pool of players specifically for the remaining games? This was not available during the uncompleted season!
Advantage for clubs with more funds- sporting integrity?

While pushing the Uefa deadline back could mean more chance for domestic leagues being played to a finish, another radical proposal which has emerged today is banning Premier League stars from going home and forcing them to live together so football can kick off again behind closed doors in June.

That could see the squads of all 20 teams staying at separate locations — with no chance of going home to their families — until the season is finally over.
[/qoute]

Aye very good, why not just throw away the key while you're at it.

Playing remaining games is best outcome.
However if not until August/Sept. it raises all sorts of problems.

For instance should celtc ,ourselves,Hearts etc be allowed to go out and reinforce our team pool of players specifically for the remaining games? This was not available during the uncompleted season!
Advantage for clubs with more funds- sporting integrity?
Most Scottish sides would be incapable of putting 11 players on the pitch if the season restarted after May because the majority of their players will be out of contract.

Players out of contract
New kit deals for clubs
New sponsors on jerseys etc
Lots of legal angles there.
If played after transfer window opens can they still play in the old season.
Its mental null and void for me.

So, using EPL as a guide, 20 teams with a squad of 22 players plus coaching and associated staff. They'd need to take over dozens of hotels to keep the players isolated.

This is another bonkers idea just to try and appease the tv companies.

They must threatening to withhold payments for no product, and most likely, big clubs will have spent, or budgeted for it all.

Reports in the news (can’t remember where) today said Italy could announce as soon as this week that the league is over and Juventus as champions based on current standings. I imagine every FA is desperately watching what happens then and follow suit. The EPL and SPFL are desperate to award Liverpool and the filth the league and if other countries start doing this (especially such a tight league as Italy! The rest will follow.

The truth unfortunately can often be unpalatable.

Only one team on the planet,there scum fans and cheerleaders in the press are actively wanting the league when this is happening.
Crass bastards

Do you know something everyone else in Europe doesn’t?

Reports in the news (can’t remember where) today said Italy could announce as soon as this week that the league is over and Juventus as champions based on current standings. I imagine every FA is desperately watching what happens then and follow suit. The EPL and SPFL are desperate to award Liverpool and the filth the league and if other countries start doing this (especially such a tight league as Italy! The rest will follow.

Germans and Spanish have already said they want to void the league this season.

So when football starts again, which will be well after when next season should've started, we’re gonna get the remaining 19/20 games, someone wins the league, then the following week is the first game of the next season which will be shorter? It’s all speculation but that’s mental to me.

This season should be ended, all finances directed towards keeping clubs and leagues afloat, then starting 20/21 season with one/some cup competitions on a seasons hiatus to make room for a full league calendar.

I know everyone has to plan for the future but I think Gordon Taylor has come across as a disgusting individual, going on about money
Your bang on what you say, but at least we know now for sure what they're all thinking.

Football is basically owned by tv companies now. They call the shots in every way. Not even allowed a Sunday morning hangover these days without having to be on the road to the games.

There's too many reasons as to why it's near impossible to finish this season;

Player contracts - Surely you can't just extend everyone's contract without a clause in there saying it can be extended for such a reason? All players will have to agree and they won't all agree.
Financial impact on clubs - Some clubs won't be alive by the time we come out the other end of this, so how do you complete fixtures?
TV contracts - I'm sure the likes of BT and Sky will be flexible in regards to this season if it's played out to a finish but if next year's competition's are reduced to one-legged ties because of it then surely BT/Sky or any other media company around the world would be losing out on a hell of a lot, after all they've paid to broadcast a certain amount of games and that won't be happening due to disruption.
European fixtures - Different countries around the world will ease measures at different paces. When football appears again there's a chance that countries around Europe will still have measures in place that make it difficult for one team to travel to that country to play them.
Players need a break - Are we really going to finish this season off, jump straight into next season in order to finish it off in time for the Euro's then straight into the Euro's which follows into the next season? That's 3 years of football without a lengthy break in order to accommodate the last quarter of this season. Madness in my eyes.

Null & void the lot and let's hope we can start as normal in time for next season. If not, then we can talk about condensed seasons.

UEFA are keeping their options open until there's no option. They can't and won't turn around to the companies who've paid billions for rights and tell them the competitions are void. They will wait until they are forced to do so.

Surely Juve can't be Champions with a one point lead!
Same with Barca!

All football players are to wear NASA spacesuits and oxygen cylinders on their backs............ Funk me this planet has all been smoked out by strong weed.

Okay I will be Sunshine brigade. What if Celtic lost Eduardo. I would give us a fifty shot of catching them at that pint.

All clubs, including our own will need to start season ticket renewals soon. How do they expect ordinary punters to make immediate financial sacrifices in such tight times, for a season that seems to be getting pushed further away and may even need to be watered down in some way. Asking fans to make what will be an immediate financial sacrifice in such uncertain times, for a season that may not start until November/December will go down like a led balloon.

Back