Uefa vice-president - European Super League 'exacerbation of selfishness and greed'

GranvillusClutterbuckus

Mastercard doesn't do irony, but if they did... :))

_115100434_barca.png

The proposed European Super League is the result of "selfishness and greed," says Uefa vice-president Fernando Gomes.

It was revealed last week that talks had taken place over the creation of a new £4.6bn competition.

Outgoing Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said the club had begun proceedings to join the league.

"It violates all principles of sporting merit. It would be a self-proclaimed privileged club," Gomes said.

The European Super League would involve the top sides from across the continent, although discussions are at an early stage.

In his resignation speech, Bartomeu said Barca had started proceedings to help their financial future.

However, Gomes said it would have "no passage of support" in his native Portugal.

"It deserves my refusal because the world is currently experiencing its greatest challenge, at least for the last century, and the last thing it needs is the exacerbation of selfishness and greed," he added.

"In my opinion all governing bodies should refuse it in a very clear way."

Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said that the proposed league would be a serious blow to the Premier League.

"The other leagues try to destroy the advantage the Premier League has. For them the best thing to tame it is to create a European league," Wenger told the Guardian.

"If they get the agreement from the English big clubs it will happen."

Fifa said on Wednesday it was not aware of any agreement for Barca to join the European Super League.

"As we already said last week, the topic of a so-called 'European Super League"' comes up every now and then and Fifa has no wish to comment further on this since there are already well-established football institutional structures to deal with it," Fifa said.

I'll take no lessons on greed from that mob.

Also:

"It deserves my refusal because the world is currently experiencing its greatest challenge, at least for the last century, and the last thing it needs is the exacerbation of selfishness and greed," he added."

I'd have considered the second world war a bit more challenging than working from home or Primark being shut, but that's a side point.

_115100434_barca.png

The proposed European Super League is the result of "selfishness and greed," says Uefa vice-president Fernando Gomes.

It was revealed last week that talks had taken place over the creation of a new £4.6bn competition.

Outgoing Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said the club had begun proceedings to join the league.

"It violates all principles of sporting merit. It would be a self-proclaimed privileged club," Gomes said.

The European Super League would involve the top sides from across the continent, although discussions are at an early stage.

In his resignation speech, Bartomeu said Barca had started proceedings to help their financial future.

However, Gomes said it would have "no passage of support" in his native Portugal.

"It deserves my refusal because the world is currently experiencing its greatest challenge, at least for the last century, and the last thing it needs is the exacerbation of selfishness and greed," he added.

Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said that the proposed league would be a serious blow to the Premier League.

"The other leagues try to destroy the advantage the Premier League has. For them the best thing to tame it is to create a European league," Wenger told the Guardian.

Fifa said on Wednesday it was not aware of any agreement for Barca to join the European Super League.

"As we already said last week, the topic of a so-called 'European Super League"' comes up every now and then and Fifa has no wish to comment further on this since there are already well-established football institutional structures to deal with it," Fifa said.

The complete lack of self awarness reminds me of a certain club.

_115100434_barca.png

qT7CGmZ.gif

Thing is with these big teams , only 2 or 3 will be near the top of it and challenging for the title the rest will be also rans. How will Man Utd fan base hold up after a couple of seasons of finishing 16th or say 14th.

Wenger is right here.

The rich English clubs don't want this. They currently have an advantage over every other club in Europe.

The only way they give that up is if the diddies don't cave in and give them what they want.

But the diddies aren't daft. Playing in the EPL is still a good deal for them financially even with the changes being made.

The only way a European Super League happens is if they make it without the English first. It would then need to have more revenue than the PL, and only then would the English join it.

Thing is with these big teams , only 2 or 3 will be near the top of it and challenging for the title the rest will be also rans. How will Man Utd fan base hold up after a couple of seasons of finishing 16th or say 14th.
Barca or Madrid will win it every year, with the occasional team getting lucky every now and again. Fans from teams like Man UTD will get pissed when the penny drops and they realise they have become elite version of St Johnstone.

Barca or Madrid will win it every year, with the occasional team getting lucky every now and again. Fans from teams like Man UTD will get pissed when the penny drops and they realise they have become elite version of St Johnstone.
They will be looking forward to a 3rd round FA Cup clash at Port Vale, thats if they are allowed entry to the competition.

Yeap, this is what I don't understand about the proposal. Every club heading into it will think they have a chance of winning but in reality like every other league it will have different levels of club over time.

The clubs that will become the diddy teams of the new league are expecting fans that have had decades of being a big fish to accept becoming a mid table nobody?

All top tier clubs are only at that status due to the fact they won things historically. Putting clubs in a super league which will not be as competitive as people think, will see these fair weathered fans gravitate towards other teams.

I personally only support Rangers and don’t have a second club, an English, a Spanish club etc.

I hope we remain within the Scottish football set up going forward.

So,assuming the big English Clubs agree to this,will they treat the EPL like the league cup,the ba's burst if that's the case and you have to feel for clubs busting a gut to join the league who have spent millions on stadiums and squads. There wouldn't be much point in Rangers or Celtic join it if the likes of your Liverpool's,Man.Us are going to leave it.

Yeap, this is what I don't understand about the proposal. Every club heading into it will think they have a chance of winning but in reality like every other league it will have different levels of club over time.

The clubs that will become the diddy teams of the new league are expecting fans that have had decades of being a big fish to accept becoming a mid table nobody?
The higher you finish the bigger the money, a gap will start to form and those at the bottom will start to complain about the difference in money and how the higher finishing clubs are moving farther away - the higher teams will become the "Elite Elite Teams".

It would be better for them is they just agreed to split all money made between them, but lets face it - they are as greedy as each other and not 1 will be willing to take a chance of possibly losing a bit of cash.

More likely Bayern will win it every single year. So what's in it for anyone else?

Back