Under The Cosh Podcast Mark Hateley

Well worth sharing - he’s genuinely funny.
Interesting bit there for me is when he talks about 9 come here but walks to the third point of the triangle.

Something that really pisses me off watching Collum ref is the way he demands players come to him like an arrogant little wanker.

Hadn’t seen that one before, enjoyed it. Interesting he knew he was being bribed but was happy to take the suits and jewellery anyway.

After listening last night, I have to say that's one of the worst podcast under the cosh have done in my opinion. Usually the guests have some funny stories about other players and staff, Hateley came across abit arrogant I thought. Still love the guy mind you!

After listening last night, I have to say that's one of the worst podcast under the cosh have done in my opinion. Usually the guests have some funny stories about other players and staff, Hateley came across abit arrogant I thought. Still love the guy mind you!

Basically my thoughts exactly mate. Listened this morning, he was a great player but he’s not a great story teller and I’d rate this as one of the worst UTC I’ve listened to.
Considering who he’s played with he should have some all time stories but……meh.

Anyone new to this pod who thinks the Hateley one is decent I can’t urge you enough to check out some of the other episodes, quite a few crackers been mentioned on the thread.

Basically my thoughts exactly mate. Listened this morning, he was a great player but he’s not a great story teller and I’d rate this as one of the worst UTC I’ve listened to.
Considering who he’s played with he should have some all time stories but……meh.

Anyone new to this pod who thinks the Hateley one is decent I can’t urge you enough to check out some of the other episodes, quite a few crackers been mentioned on the thread.
I'm glad someone agreed with me quickly on this mate lol.

Oh I know all about it matey, I signed up to their patron a few months ago as I was enjoying the free ones so much. Fairly helps the Nightshift go in lol.

I don’t think there is much love lost between Hateley and McCoist, a good working relationship but completely different personalities.
I was in Hateley’s company a couple of times and he always referred to McCoist as the “fat forward”. Definitely loves himself…

I don’t think there is much love lost between Hateley and McCoist, a good working relationship but completely different personalities.
I was in Hateley’s company a couple of times and he always referred to McCoist as the “fat forward”. Definitely loves himself…
Be surprised at that. He’s the only person I’ve ever heard call him Alistair rather than Ally.

See some differing opinions on this.
IMHO. Mark Hateley was an all time legend at Rangers. His two goals to win the league at Ibrox against the sheep on a day where we were riddled with injuries is the epitome of a winner. He dragged the team that day to the title by the scruff of the throat.
In the podcast I wasn’t interested in funny stories of other players he played with I was interested in his mindset on becoming the player he was which no one can dispute. He may be accused of being arrogant I think he simply knew his own abilities and how talent and sheer hard graft turned him into a born winner.
As for his relationship with Ally the only one I cared about was the one on the park and I don’t think anyone could question the success of the pair of them. In my living memory I can’t remember a better strike partnership than these two and that’s why I will always have nothing but gratitude and admiration for big Mark and super of course.
I was also really interested when he spoke of Ally as a goal scorer. On a thread on FF a few weeks ago the OP asked if Ally was a world class striker. Mark Hateley’s opinion is that Ally was the best finisher he ever played with and when you consider Lineker Shearer and the other guys he played with in England France and Italy that’s some statement.

IMHO. Mark Hateley was an all time legend at Rangers. His two goals to win the league at Ibrox against the sheep on a day where we were riddled with injuries is the epitome of a winner. He dragged the team that day to the title by the scruff of the throat.
In the podcast I wasn’t interested in funny stories of other players he played with I was interested in his mindset on becoming the player he was which no one can dispute. He may be accused of being arrogant I think he simply knew his own abilities and how talent and sheer hard graft turned him into a born winner.
As for his relationship with Ally the only one I cared about was the one on the park and I don’t think anyone could question the success of the pair of them. In my living memory I can’t remember a better strike partnership than these two and that’s why I will always have nothing but gratitude and admiration for big Mark and super of course.
I was also really interested when he spoke of Ally as a goal scorer. On a thread on FF a few weeks ago the OP asked if Ally was a world class striker. Mark Hateley’s opinion is that Ally was the best finisher he ever played with and when you consider Lineker Shearer and the other guys he played with in England France and Italy that’s some statement.
Great post. Hateley is one of my all time favourites Rangers players; great reading a post like yours.

A better double act than Ant and Dec.

Great post mate. Very few on here regardless of what they have done for the club escape criticism.

A better double act than Ant and Dec.

Great post mate. Very few on here regardless of what they have done for the club escape criticism.
I think some of the criticism was based on the podcast rather than big Mark himself. Few players ( maybe only Laudrup and Gazza ) escape criticism rightly or wrongly. Some ex players sometimes do the human thing and say or do something stupid. Big Butcher gets pelters but again I remember how huge his signing was and his equaliser at pittodrie which ended years of misery without a title. Judge the players on what they did what they brought to the club and the enormity of some of their appearances in a Rangers jersey.

I think some of the criticism was based on the podcast rather than big Mark himself. Few players ( maybe only Laudrup and Gazza ) escape criticism rightly or wrongly. Some ex players sometimes do the human thing and say or do something stupid. Big Butcher gets pelters but again I remember how huge his signing was and his equaliser at pittodrie which ended years of misery without a title. Judge the players on what they did what they brought to the club and the enormity of some of their appearances in a Rangers jersey.

The criticism wasn’t of the big man in his playing capacity, he was a legend and always will be, it was of his performance on a podcast. The Under The Cosh isn’t a high performance pod, it’s a knockabout laugh a minute, behind the scenes in dressing rooms and away trips type pod. That’s why 90% of the guys on it are league 1 and 2 type guys that most won’t know.

The criticism wasn’t of the big man in his playing capacity, he was a legend and always will be, it was of his performance on a podcast. The Under The Cosh isn’t a high performance pod, it’s a knockabout laugh a minute, behind the scenes in dressing rooms and away trips type pod. That’s why 90% of the guys on it are league 1 and 2 type guys that most won’t know.
That’s a fair shout. Maybe it says more about their selection of guest than Hateley himself.

In 1993/94 we were struggling with injury and form. The European adventure from the season before killed us. Mark Hateley carried us the majority of the way, helped with the signing of Durie in Oct/Nov. He was sensational that campaign. I think people mostly look at his partnership with Ally, which was incredible, but he did plenty when Ally was out injured for a long spell after breaking his leg.

Best all round striker we've had in my lifetime, he had the lot. Deadly pace wise over the first 10/15 yards, fantastic left peg, could link up, pass, get stuck in and of course the outrageous heading ability.

Edit, a good should for the best or at least in the top 3 or 4 of our best all round strikers in our history.

My favourite podcast with one of my favourite players from my favourite era of football. Can’t wait.

Thought the Jason McAteer one recently was one of the best, you just can’t beat that mid-late 90s era, especially around World Cup 98. Pop culture was booming.
Leon knight and Aaron Wilbraham were both good as well Si Ferry talking about Di canio was funny as well

Back