Underrated Rangers Players

Phil'ieve

Who did you think was brilliant who you don't hear others talking about too often?

Hemdani for me, I don't recall ever seeing that guy misplacing a pass. I'm sure he did at some point :D but the point is he was so composed and tidy 99% of the time from my memory. Buffel is another, when he was good he was great, cracking football player.

Anyone else?

Who did you think was brilliant who you don't hear others talking about too often?

Hemdani for me, I don't recall ever seeing that guy misplacing a pass. I'm sure he did at some point :D but the point is he was so composed and tidy 99% of the time from my memory. Buffel is another, when he was good he was great, cracking football player.

Anyone else?

Hemdani was a strange one. Played in every European game but not domestically?

Always felt that Buffel didn't have the heart or aggression to be consistently good.

Hemdani became so underrated he was overrated. He was probably the ultimate luxury player in hindsight.

Arteta is a bit underrated imo. It gets overlooked how pivotal he was during the 2002-03 season and even started well the next. Everything got a bit messy after that.

Hemdani became so underrated he was overrated. He was probably the ultimate luxury player in hindsight.

Arteta is a bit underrated imo. It gets overlooked how pivotal he was during the 2002-03 season and even started well the next. Everything got a bit messy after that.
He scored a penalty :p

Joke obviously, but don't think he was ever underrated. He was a magnificent player.

Most underrated players are underrated for a reason. They were inconsistent/ average but had the odd moment of brilliance that sticks in people's minds. #Mo Edu

Every team needs a strong reliable consistent player

For me players like Stuart Munro, John Brown, Iain Ferguson fit the bill and were a key part of our success

Before he got ill, I would say Ricksen was underrated & Moore used to be as well but is now getting the credit he deserves.

Vidmar would be one I'd throw out there & though neither were superstars (& also pr*cks), I liked both Dodds & Steven Thompson. They just came at times where we had a ridiculous amount of quality strikers at the club to stand out.

Every team needs a strong reliable consistent player

For me players like Stuart Munro, John Brown, Iain Ferguson fit the bill and were a key part of our success
John Brown's football ability does often get overlooked but Iain Ferguson is like KT or Papac, they get showered with praise but are still somehow viewed as 'underrated'

Before he got ill, I would say Ricksen was underrated & Moore used to be as well but is now getting the credit he deserves.

Vidmar would be one I'd throw out there & though neither were superstars (& also pr*cks), I liked both Dodds & Steven Thompson. They just came at times where we had a ridiculous amount of quality strikers at the club to stand out.
I've no idea why we signed Thompson, although I won't complain about his contribution when he was with us. Was it to do with cutting costs, as we still had Flo at that point and De Boer.

I think we signed Dodds, who was a level or so above Thompson, as cover for Mols when he and JJ got injured.

What was the deal with the animosity to them after they left?

I've no idea why we signed Thompson, although I won't complain about his contribution when he was with us. Was it to do with cutting costs, as we still had Flo at that point and De Boer.

I think we signed Dodds, who was a level or so above Thompson, as cover for Mols when he and JJ got injured.

What was the deal with the animosity to them after they left?
Not sure with Thompson, Dodds believed he should've played more, which is hard to get behind, because of who else we had but his scoring record did give him a decent argument.

I remember having soft spots for Burnley & Cardiff when he played for them, like Lafferty, I always felt like because he was over 6ft, folk assumed he was just a target man, when I think he preferred to be cuter in his style for a bigger guy.

Hate that he became the poster boy for w*nky BBC pundit.

Johansson for me. Was a consistent performer in the first season or 2 under Advocaat and shouldn’t have been sold.

Tav is under rated by many. He’ll leave us as Euro top goalscorer from right back if he stays for another year. Sensational.

Depends on whether you mean underrated by Rangers fans or underrated by the wider football world.
Guys like John Brown, Nigel Spackman, Stuart Munro and even Alex MacDonald weren't recognised by many outside of Ibrox for how good they were, but they were appreciated by those who mattered.

Sone Aluko for me. Really wish we could have kept him for a few seasons, he was absolutely brilliant.

Reactions: TQ3
Depends on whether you mean underrated by Rangers fans or underrated by the wider football world.
Guys like John Brown, Nigel Spackman, Stuart Munro and even Alex MacDonald weren't recognised by many outside of Ibrox for how good they were, but they were appreciated by those who mattered.
Underrated by the wider football world are Ally McCoist and Andy Goram

A couple of shouts for Buffel

I like him. But is he really underrated. Or just inconsistent and therefore rated fairly appropriately.

Some great shout outs in thread.
Came on to say Buffel and Munroe but already mentioned.
Also would add;
Moore
Drinkell
Johansson
Rod Wallace

Tav

We wont truly realise what we have until he is gone
It's a massive feeling of trust with Tav for me. When you're desperate for a goal or things aren't going well but there's always that "it's ok Tav is here" feeling, always pinning my hopes to him and so often he goes and makes it happen. It will feel like something is massively missing when he isn't here. We probably won't ever replace him. We'll get a good right back but you're never getting another Tav for what he contributes in numbers, loyalty, professionalism and almost always fit. He is literally one in a million.

Rod Wallace an absolute Bargain who contributed massively in his first two season. I was younger at the time but why was he cast aside by Advocaat?

Anyone else?
Buffel was ahead of his time.

If he was ten years older, there would have been so many more positions available for a smaller, dynamic attacking midfielder.

Was Calvin Bassey underrated? Obviously he was our most profitable player, but don't remember him being super highly regarded by the majority of fans. Can't remember to be honest, was steaming for most of that 2022 season.

If underrated means the player was an 8/10 but is causally considered a 5/10

Then Brian Laudrup is underrated

He's considered a 9.5/10 player and is on legendary status

But the reality is he was a 24/10 player

waaay better than most people realise

I don't know if he was underrated, or just overshadowed by Cooper and McCoist, but I loved Robert Fleck. He was the closest I think I have seen to Defoe in terms of speed of thought and reaction when a half chance opened up.

Steven Whittaker was a very good player for us and served us well in a number of different positions. Capable of the odd worldy goal as well. Obviously the way he left along with Naismith sadly tarnished his reputation but he was a stalwart in that Walter side between 2007-2011.

Tony Vidmar

Tugay - some great players in front of him but he was probably better than them all.

Actually think Jelavic and Prso are underrated given the short time they spent with us.

Hemdani was used perfectly by Walter, had a very specific role that he usually carried out very well in European games, didn't suit how we played domestically.

Never watched it again, but from memory he was miles off it against Zenit, worst player on the park which surprised me.

Anyone else?
Quintin "Cutty" Young

Back