VAR offsides. How tight is this?

Got to be onside if attacker given the benefit.

I hate VAR, could be used for good in black and white situations but is turning into a mechanism for disallowing goals based on micro-decisions.

We’d suffer badly if ever implemented here, think trial by Sportscene but at the game itself.

It's embarrassing.

How's that a clear and obvious error?
That’s what gets me. There was a game I watched midweek, Liverpool maybe? Where there should’ve been a penalty but it wasn’t given because it wasn’t a “clear and obvious error” but the referee had got the wrong decision! It’s mind boggling

Should be like cricket. If it’s that tight you should go with the onfield decision. Before VAR rules where give the advantage to the attacker, now they’re getting ruled out for a literal bawhair.

This will be carnage when the SPFL eventually bring it in up here.

That’s what gets me. There was a game I watched midweek, Liverpool maybe? Where there should’ve been a penalty but it wasn’t given because it wasn’t a “clear and obvious error” but the referee had got the wrong decision! It’s mind boggling
It depends what the ref describes to the VAR official.

As an aside, how good do Leicester look under Rodgers? Really good game so far imo

Its offside. Its a factual decision rather than a matter of opinion. Should we disallow goals because the ball is only 2mm over the line because its 'too tight to call'. In actual fact, offside and goal-line technology are the two areas where technology really come into play because there's no 'grey' areas of personal opinion - its a goal or not, its offside or not.

Should be like cricket. If it’s that tight you should go with the onfield decision. Before VAR rules where give the advantage to the attacker, now they’re getting ruled out for a literal bawhair.

Same with American Football they usually go with the decision on the field

Thread seems to be turning into a Rodgers love-fest

That's not what VAR was designed for.

It's meant to be used when the ref has made a clear and obvious error for a goal, penalty or sending off.
No it isnt, clear and obvious error is part of it. Every goal is automatically checked for offside, ball out of play, a foul by the attacking team or handball.

It's meant to be used when the ref has made a clear and obvious error for a goal, penalty or sending off.

NB. The concept of 'clear and obvious' errors does not apply to offsides. A player is either onside or offside - you cannot be a little bit pregnant. So even if a player is offside by a matter of inches, the goal will be ruled out, which is exactly what happened with Manchester City's third-goal-that-never-was at West Ham.

The "clear and obvious" wording doesn't make sense and I don't think it's even part of the rule any more. If it was clear and obvious the ref would get the decision right in the first place.

VAR was designed to reach the right decision and that's what it's done, as fractional as it might be it's still offside.

Thats because in cricket you dont know where the ball is ending up, its just calculating where it 'should' end up. That VAR check is able to calculate where the 2 players are so it becomes a yes or no for the offside.

NB. The concept of 'clear and obvious' errors does not apply to offsides. A player is either onside or offside - you cannot be a little bit pregnant. So even if a player is offside by a matter of inches, the goal will be ruled out, which is exactly what happened with Manchester City's third-goal-that-never-was at West Ham.

Again, it's not the purpose VAR was originally intended for.

VAR operating with greater precision than a NASA Moon landing.

The moment a pass counts as being played forward is subjective, the part of the body that is chosen for the attacker and defender is imprecise, but they pretend to measure it by fractions of a millimeter

It should be used for the purpose it was designed for.

One of my biggest gripes with VAR - and I am, in general, in favour - is that there doesn't seem to be a 'standard' across the globe. Each Association - and indeed even FIFA and UEFA - seem to have implemented their own version of VAR and how it will be applied. We've seen different implementations in place for the Men's World Cup and then for the Women's World Cup for example. No doubt it will be different again at the Euros next Summer. Its crazy.

Leicester 2 -1 up now, Spurs have benefited previously from VAR so can't feel too hard done by, But the disallowed goal seemed to have knocked the stuffing out of Spurs, So VAR is certainly influencing the game

Back