VAR overturn a goal and give a penalty the other way

That's when VAR works well but having just watched the Leicester v Man City game and Man City got a penalty for something very similar that Leicester didn't. Thats maybe more of an issue with the handball rule than VAR though

Leicester v Man City game and Man City got a penalty for something very similar that Leicester didn't.

Leicester player had his arm away from his body which is why it was a penalty, That was the big difference

Perhaps the challenges system for var like used in tennis would prevent this kind of situation from happening. Could be misused though to break up play etc, no way is perfect.

Perhaps the challenges system for var like used in tennis would prevent this kind of situation from happening. Could be misused though to break up play etc, no way is perfect.
I wouldn't be a fan of the challenge idea. I don't really get as upset as others by the time VAR is taking to get the decisions right.

I wouldn't be a fan of the challenge idea. I don't really get as upset as others by the time VAR is taking to get the decisions right.
I'm not particularly for or against it but if players can get the ref to check an incident at the time it happens it may prevent the situation we had in the game today. I don't mind the waiting either, I would wait an extra minute to have the correct decision made.

Fine but we'll see what your opinion is first time something like what happens in that video happens to us.
There are times it would go against us but based on the referee performances lately I'm certain it would work in our favour far more.

Similar incident at Anfield recently v Southampton. Danny Ings was tripped in the Reds penalty area but no penalty given. Reds go straight to the other end and score while VAR official waiting for game to stop before reviewing the Ings incident. But Reds goal allowed to stand and no VAR of the trip. Consistency?

This raises more questions than answers.

So, while play goes on and review occurs, if a player commits a yellow card foul is that negated? Like a goal is?

What if the team who eventually benefit from the VAR review score a goal while decision pending? Is that goal chopped off? If not, why not?

Fine but we'll see what your opinion is first time something like what happens in that video happens to us.
it'll hurt no doubt

But at the end of the day - in this case - the rules would have been applied correctly

We'll all be here pissed (who wouldn't) but in the end we'll be glad that the rules are being upheld to an even standard.

We can't sit here and shout for equal standards of refereeing then essentially cheer on Bournmouth getting away with a handball. Pick and choose 1. Do we get fucked over constantly and get no decisions at all, or do we fairly lose some decisions and fairly gain some decisions? Take your pick mate.

That's when VAR works well but having just watched the Leicester v Man City game and Man City got a penalty for something very similar that Leicester didn't. Thats maybe more of an issue with the handball rule than VAR though
Just watched the highlights.
Personally, I see a big difference in the incidents.
I‘ve just seen an explanation of the rules so both were penalties.
I’d still say though, that the city player protecting his face has his hands in a perfectly natural position.

Last edited:
If a rangers goal gets chopped of on thursday by the length of a toe,which puts us out of europe. I look forward to the var fans coming on to tell us that it was the correct call.

Quite simply...VAR is the single worst thing to happen to the game.

I'm sorry but after watching the fiasco of match of the day, anyone who thinks this is good for the enjoyment of football, need to have a good look at themselves. How the spurs player stayed on the pitch makes it a bogey.

Var is taking over the game,its been the most talked about thing all season. Give me good play,cracking goals any day. Not tv angles.

I'm sorry but after watching the fiasco of match of the day, anyone who thinks this is good for the enjoyment of football, need to have a good look at themselves. How the spurs player stayed on the pitch makes it a bogey.

Var is taking over the game,its been the most talked about thing all season. Give me good play,cracking goals any day. Not tv angles.

The natural flow and spontaneity of the game has been hugely affected by VAR. A ref consulting a linesman is usually quite rare to hold up a game, but VAR's impact has been much more intrusive.

The natural flow and spontaneity of the game has been hugely affected by VAR. A ref consulting a linesman is usually quite rare to hold up a game, but VAR's impact has been much more intrusive.
Thing for me is, how can guys sitting in a room somewhere not agree that the spurs player should be red carded.

I was listening to five live in the car when the Burnley thing was happening. The reporter actually said "The scoreboard here still says 1-1 so this penalty could make it 2-0 or it could stay at 1-1".

If a rangers goal gets chopped of on thursday by the length of a toe,which puts us out of europe. I look forward to the var fans coming on to tell us that it was the correct call.

I don’t get your point, letter of the law, your toe would be offside in this case.
So anyone complaining about it doesn’t understand the rules.

I’d love any Rangers fan to tell me why they wouldn’t want it, especially in the case of the first cup final of this season.....

I don’t get your point, letter of the law, your toe would be offside in this case.
So anyone complaining about it doesn’t understand the rules.

I’d love any Rangers fan to tell me why they wouldn’t want it, especially in the case of the first cup final of this season.....
If you think getting var is going to guarantee trophies, I fear you might be disappointed. If scott brown had done to a rangers player what the spurs lad done and not been sent off, this site would have crashed.

If you think getting var is going to guarantee trophies, I fear you might be disappointed. If scott brown had done to a rangers player what the spurs lad done and not been sent off, this site would have crashed.

who said it would guarantee trophies!

all I’m asking for is for is to be referee’d to the same standard. In fact, just the same standard as Celtic.

perhaps we’ll see the same level of bias with ScotVar, but anything is better than the current model.

Was he in the cricket field stand because I watched the game on TV and both decisions looked correct
Rubbish ! The top of the shoulder is not considered a handball and both times it came off the shoulder.

who said it would guarantee trophies!

all I’m asking for is for is to be referee’d to the same standard. In fact, just the same standard as Celtic.

perhaps we’ll see the same level of bias with ScotVar, but anything is better than the current model.
Is it. If your happy with this mugging of the game, fair enough. Not for me, I love the flow of the game. For instance, the chelsea goal even being checked ruined that moment for the fans. Football has never been perfect, but survived just fine,long before var came on the scene.

The guys doing VAR had an nightmare yesterday. Will there be a retrospective ban for the Spurs player?
I normally think VAR gets it right but the Chelsea v Man U and today have made me wonder.

Do you know what I find kills it for me?
Rangers not getting stonewall penalties. Opponents not getting stick on red cards, leaving us 10 points behind having been robbed of 7 points or more.
I'll have VAR over that any day.
It won’t change that much with VAR. Might just get the stonewall penalties but the hammer throwers will still get there free reign to kick feck out us

I think the 2nd one is the right decision because he is sticking his arm right out, however the 1st one should have stood, it didn't even hit his arm

If its gonna be clearly fair then surely we can all live with the calls that rightly go against us?
How do Chelsea fans feel?

Ok, they won the game but Lo Celso should've been sent off. VAR admitted their error on the decision THEY gave after watching it about half a dozen times. The ref could've watched the sideline monitor to give his decision before VAR was consulted.

There's still a few amendments to be done to gain everbodys faith in it.

Back