VAR Penalty Claim

Was it a penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 565 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 310 35.4%

• Total voters

LetsGo

There hasn't been much chat about this since HT in the match thread for such a big moment. Getting the first goal could potentially have changed the entire complexion of the match for us.

Personally I thought VAR made an error not giving it or at least telling the referee to have a look. The ball hits Teze on the bicep which should be a foul. The commentary made a mention of sleeve line but that is not the case, the laws of the game are clear on where the ball hitting is and isn't a foul and it's below armpit level.

FaTnH-AXwAAx8bL

FaTnIP0XwAISWGB

EwEJV6G.jpg

vNyqw2p.jpg

It wasn’t a penalty, yeah he was reckless with the first challenge with the flailing arm if he handles , penalty all day, but he got lucky with the rebound…

I’d have given it. I’ve no idea how they define arm and and upper arm these days. It seems to hit his shirt sleeve, going by the diagram it should have been given but others are saying the sleeve is not handball.

We’d be better addressing our defending at corners than worrying about it

Personally thought Colak nearly getting his top ripped off at the same corner was more of a penalty.

I’m sure if it hits the sleeve line its no longer classed as handball.
I thought that was what the post was about and voted yes.

The handball one wasn’t though he was a baw hair away from it at first as he had his hand well in the air when the ball came over.

My understanding is, if it hits the sleeve part of the arm its not a penalty. I think the stills are a bit misleading, because it looked like it did in the live video.

Tbh its an absolute travesty that its even being debated. A bastardisation of the original rules. Guy has no idea whats happening. Its not as bad as ours against USG, but it would still be an utterly shite way to concede a goal.

My understanding is, if it hits the sleeve part of the arm its not a penalty. I think the stills are a bit misleading, because it looked like it did in the live video.

Tbh its an absolute travesty that its even being debated. A bastardisation of the original rules. Guy has no idea whats happening. Its not as bad as ours against USG, but it would still be an utterly shite way to concede a goal.
Simple solution for next weeks game is for us to wear long sleeve shirts and just bat away any dangerous balls in the box with our arms with impunity!
;)

If had to ask same question a few weeks ago, no but var has to be consistent, just like referees who control the game, you can't issue a penalty and a booking 1 wee,k then a few weeks later refuse a penalty,for virtually the same incident, its either a penalty on both incidents or both should never have been given simple.

For anyone mentioning sleeve line - where does it say that in the laws of the game? Here is how they define the 'arm' in law 12.

Handling the ball​

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. Not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence.
The ball strikes him on the arm well below the oxter, and it is making his body unnaturally bigger so it should have been a penalty.

It wasn’t a penalty, yeah he was reckless with the first challenge with the flailing arm if he handles , penalty all day, but he got lucky with the rebound…
His arm was up at the star
I thought the same, his arm was up, then he puts it down before the ball strikes his shoulder, Colac getting pulled in the box should have been a penalty. VAR could ruin the game if it's not used properly

Yes, I can see why it may have been given, his arm was up after all.

But it was still iffy and personally, I'd rather not see us be awarded penalties on such a basis.

Let's just do them with good old fashioned Presbyterian perseverance and guile.
I'm all for sticking up for my Presbyterian and indeed Huguenot heritage but I'd take that as a penalty every day of the week!

There hasn't been much chat about this since HT in the match thread for such a big moment. Getting the first goal could potentially have changed the entire complexion of the match for us.

Personally I thought VAR made an error not giving it or at least telling the referee to have a look. The ball hits Teze on the bicep which should be a foul. The commentary made a mention of sleeve line but that is not the case, the laws of the game are clear on where the ball hitting is and isn't a foul and it's below armpit level.

FaTnH-AXwAAx8bL

FaTnIP0XwAISWGB

EwEJV6G.jpg

vNyqw2p.jpg
It should be colaks you should be concentrated on, shirt pull in the box no penalty, wow

It should be colaks you should be concentrated on, shirt pull in the box no penalty, wow
That never got a VAR review which was shocking but this was crystal clear stonewall decision and would have changed the game at 0-0.

I got a text from my dad instantly (at game) and recorded it on phone from TV.

I've watched it back about a hundred times, and penalty all day long for me.
Would it be 'harsh'? Possibly, are they usually given these days? I'd say yes

His arm was up at the star

I thought the same, his arm was up, then he puts it down before the ball strikes his shoulder, Colac getting pulled in the box should have been a penalty. VAR could ruin the game if it's not used properly
I shouted penalty right away, but the replay proves otherwise, the rebound hits his upper arm/ shoulder, he got lucky…

The referee couldn't differentiate between the players arm and sleeve top in real time. He must have seen that as a penalty. It certainly looks a penalty on the replay. Arm up in the air and then extended from the defender. Penalty all day long imo.

It’s as if he touched the ball twice in a split second, hand first then Goldson headed it onto his upper arm. First touch is a penalty

I can never keep up with the handball interpretations. Is it still taking distance traveled into account?
If so that might be a possible reason not to give it as it's instantaneous from Goldsons header.

The more I watch it you know...

I’d have given it. I’ve no idea how they define arm and and upper arm these days. It seems to hit his shirt sleeve, going by the diagram it should have been given but others are saying the sleeve is not handball.

We’d be better addressing our defending at corners than worrying about it
Well I am no expert but why wouldn't every team wear long sleeved tops and go around like a volleyball team knocking everything away?

Voted no, I think the handball claim was soft to be honest.

The two shirt pulls on Goldson and Colak in the penalty box I thought should've been looked at more though.

I voted no only because my understanding is that we are using the T shirt rule. If that is wrong then it is a penalty. In my view he actually intended to handball it the first time and missed it.

Overall I would say that ref was one of the best I have seen. He was good at explaining his decisions and seemed to have the respect of the players.

Back