VAR

TheBlueMagoo

theres definately some advantages ie naymer dive.
you cant give pens for totally accidental collisions,a little shove or pulls. not that it would make any differance in this country! a three man video review would ban jack for diving against motherwell.

Has advantages and disadvantages.
It's going to be one of those things that will have rules amended within it over time.

cant say its making the game better by giving pens in pretty much every game. should probably marrow it down to certain marginal incidents

Hopefully in time it can assist with cutting out constant fouling in the box at corners and people diving, but there's definitely teething problems.

I think teams should be allowed a certain number of challenges each half as well - similar to tennis.

Doesn't seem to be any consistency with it from referee's, looking at some things for 1 team but ignoring the same situation for the other team. Like above i think it would be better with each team having a certain amount of reviews during a game where the captain can approach the ref to ask him to look at it. If you are wrong you lose a review. If right you get the decision and keep your remaining number of reviews.

Like some say, it has its good points and has its bad points, but there needs to be consistency.

Each team should have three challenges.

Win it, and you get another one.

Same as tennis. All that’s going to happen now is you’ll have arsehole players diving all over the shop and jumping up immediately and making the wee tv symbol.

Doesn't seem to be any consistency with it from referee's, looking at some things for 1 team but ignoring the same situation for the other team. Like above i think it would be better with each team having a certain amount of reviews during a game where the captain can approach the ref to ask him to look at it. If you are wrong you lose a review. If right you get the decision and keep your remaining number of reviews.

Like some say, it has its good points and has its bad points, but there needs to be consistency.
VAR alerts the ref to look at something again, not the other way round. The video refs are watching the game and if they spot something the ref has clearly missed they encourage him to take another look or tell him it was offside etc.

Switzerland are doing very well out of incompetent refs and VAR officials.
An illegal goal v Brazil and a stonewall penalty not given to Serbia.
4 points by my reckoning.

It's quite simply not working.

Too many obviously wrong decisions being ignored whilst mariginal 'opinion' type stuff being decided. In its current guise it is no better than letting the referee get on with it.

Can it be improved? Undoubtedly yes. Will it be improved? Somehow I doubt it?

It's made the game less fair if that was possible. In the sense that the ref may see something as not being a foul at either end but for some reason VAR seems to pick it up at one end but not the other.

In time it may become better but the way it is now it's not for me.

I am still for it, however I agree regarding each manager should be allowed to challenge 2/ 3 times a match on any decision he wants, after that it's down to refs decision.

It's open to corruption...so bin it!

Sweden should have had a penalty v Germany, England should have had TWO! Why they weren't looked at was because of who was sitting in a wee office within the stadium.
Can you imagine the SFA having control over VAR? Looking at what they want to bring attention to and what incidents to ignore. It would be a nightmare for us.:eek:

Players are not perfect, refs not perfect either and that’s fine by me. But VAR is shite and it’s opened a can of worms the yanks won’t let FIFA close. They are obsessed by the thought of getting things right even when it makes it worse. Before you know it they will be sneaking in the odd commercial or 4 while the ref is up the tunnel looking at nowt on his wee tv. Buyer beware as 3 hr long league games are in your future.

Huge fan of it. The decision not to give that wee rat his penalty has totally justified the use of VAR. Yes, there have still been some things that went unpunished like the Kane incident but, if it is used more to stop the cheats I'm all for it.

The Australia penalty against Denmark was the one that turned me against it. Ref see's it, the players hand isn't moving toward the ball, nor can he really do anything about it, nor do Denmark receive any benefit from it and yet a panel of "experts" deem it a penalty. Nonsense.

cant say its making the game better by giving pens in pretty much every game. should probably marrow it down to certain marginal incidents

I don’t get this logic.

Maybe don’t foul players in the box if you don’t want to concede penalties

The Australia penalty against Denmark was the one that turned me against it. Ref see's it, the players hand isn't moving toward the ball, nor can he really do anything about it, nor do Denmark receive any benefit from it and yet a panel of "experts" deem it a penalty. Nonsense.

It was the same ref who decided it was a penalty, the VAR officials only suggested he look at it agin.

The ref deemed it a penalty. The VAR just suggests to him that he looks at it again.

Refs probably need time to adapt to it as well. One can sure cite certain games and point at mistakes there, but a) it is not always the same ref and b) not always the same chap(s) on the screen. If the ref wants to stamp his own authority on the game, he can point to the spot straight away and/or ignore what is being said via earphones. Will also depend on how much he trusts the chap on the other side too.

Obviously, if he blunders there and then, consequences need to be taken. The problem in Scotland though is that no matter who does that on the field or as VAR (should it happen), incompetence prevails and those presiding over those on the park and behind the screen are bampots too. That said, if both make the wrong decision the bias becomes ever more obvious.

I e.g. wouldn't be surprised if the ref gave the second yellow to Boateng yesterday (given the amount of time that passed) after consulting with the VAR about it.

It's been done in icehockey for ages and needs time to settle into the game.

Refs probably need time to adapt to it as well. One can sure cite certain games and point at mistakes there, but a) it is not always the same ref and b) not always the same chap(s) on the screen. If the ref wants to stamp his own authority on the game, he can point to the spot straight away and/or ignore what is being said via earphones. Will also depend on how much he trusts the chap on the other side too.

Obviously, if he blunders there and then, consequences need to be taken. The problem in Scotland though is that no matter who does that, incompetence prevails and those presiding over those on the park and behind the screen are bampots too. That said, if both make the wrong decision the bias becomes ever more obvious.

I e.g. wouldn't be surprised if the ref gave the second yellow to Boateng yesterday (given the amount of time that passed) after consulting with the VAR about it.

It's been done in icehockey for ages and needs time to settle into the game.
They were saying on commentary that VAR aren't allowed to intervene for bookings.

My question is nowadays when say a player runs on to a through ball, if the offside flag goes up whats to stop the player contiuning on and trying to score? It happened a few times last night and i wonderes why the players just stopped when VAR may have reversed it as it was very close.

My question is nowadays when say a player runs on to a through ball, if the offside flag goes up whats to stop the player contiuning on and trying to score? It happened a few times last night and i wonderes why the players just stopped when VAR may have reversed it as it was very close.
You're running the risk of a booking by doing it a lot of the time, the refs blown the whistle, everyone else has stopped. VAR is probably more for instant goals ruled out for offside rather than a guy who has 30 yards to go with the ball after being flagged offside.

The one last night where it would've been interesting was the linesman only flagging once the guy was 10 yards out and about to shoot when he was offside about 20 yards before that, I think that's the one you're meaning. In that case you should probably just plant it in the back of the net and see what happens. There was one last night where the replay showed he was onside, can't remember if it was the same chance or not.

It was the same ref who decided it was a penalty, the VAR officials only suggested he look at it agin.
I just watched it back, what is the ref signalling when the incident happens with his hand up in the air? Is it not to play on?

I just watched it back, what is the ref signalling when the incident happens with his hand up in the air? Is it not to play on?
Yes, play continues because the ref doesn't think its a penalty, thats why the play was at the other end of the pitch. The VAR officials in the control room see a bunch of replays and signal to the ref that he might want to look at it again because he's missed something.

The ref then watches the incident on a monitor and decides it a penalty.

Each team should have three challenges.

Win it, and you get another one.

Same as tennis. All that’s going to happen now is you’ll have arsehole players diving all over the shop and jumping up immediately and making the wee tv symbol.

Your absolutely spot on, forget what game Tuesday or. Wednesday, two opposition players hall the forward to the ground in the penalty box, everyone sees it, bar the Ref and VAR, no penalty given. Have three Claims like you say and penalty given, bal hits a players arm whilst jumping to clear a header, penalty given, where no intent, VAR it’s already taking a lot out of the game.

It's open to corruption...so bin it!

Sweden should have had a penalty v Germany, England should have had TWO! Why they weren't looked at was because of who was sitting in a wee office within the stadium.
Can you imagine the SFA having control over VAR? Looking at what they want to bring attention to and what incidents to ignore. It would be a nightmare for us.:eek:

I actually don't think the Sweden one was a penalty. You're allowed to lean on players, definitely wasn't enough to warrant a penalty IMO.

Definitely has been quite a few missed though.

Back