Warburton interview in The Guardian

He’s a snake,he’s a weasel,he’s a pebble in he sea and the pain he feels is washing all over me.I hope gets sacked and wish him nothing but bad fortune during his career.

Lads, another crucial point is how we always looked dead on our feet from 75mins onward. Fitness levels were no where near where they needed to be. He tried to rectify that when he brought in Craig Flanagan from Hibs but even then we looked as though we lacked stamina in the closing stages of matches.

I can recall watching footage from Pedro's first training session when they had medicine balls out thinking 'hopefully this geezer will sort out the fitness issues'. Talk about a false dawn.

Warburton at face value looked like a decent appointment. He had an expanded skill set having been an academy manager as well as a technical director - things missing from our club structure at the time. From that perspective I can understand why the board opted to go with him and I would strongly imagine that having DW as his assistant might've swung it in his favour. Any notion that he would take the Premier League by storm were completely dispelled when Tommy Wright handed him his arse at Ibrox in the LC. Furthermore, big Davie blew the gaff completely when he admitted that they were really surprised to attract a player of Joey Barton's calibre.

A flawed appointment compounded by hiring another theorist from a Qatari mid-table side with a goal difference of less than plus five who weren't going to renew his contract.

I was assuming the issue raised by the previous poster was with the choice of opposition in the first place.

The truth is that I don't think we won a league match after beating Celtic; we'd won the league and Challenge Cup the week before and, as far as the players were concerned, the season was done.

I took pelters for suggesting that Hibs going through to the play-off final was advantageous for us. In the event they got beat and approached the final with an energy and motivation that'd be lacking if they'd had an eye on that game.

Yes, we really had gone right off the boil long before the final, which was even more of a reason for fitting in some more matches to keep us fit. His tactic of only playing that one bounce game could have been a masterstroke if we'd come out of the traps hungry against a team who were no doubt in the depths having lost the play-off a few days earlier. But that goal in the first two minutes and then the general malaise that spread through the team really set the pattern for the rest of the game and we looked dead on our feet, in our biggest game in years. It still hurts like hell that one.

Back