Was gutted for James Tavernier tonight

He is a victim of the narrower system that we are playing.

In an attacking sense, he doesn't have anyone up the line to play it to & then overlap. Whilst his protection defensively comes from central midfield rather than wide.

While he hasn’t been as good as he was this season he still has 1 goal and 5 assists which for a full back isn’t bad going. He wasn’t as bad as people are making out last night but I agree a change of penalty taker for a bit would be good.

He seems a lot more subdued that recent years, maybe it's down to formation or different tactics. I'm sure he will be back to his best soon.

Thought he was poor tonight and has been since the start of the season however he did set the bar very high last term.

Those saying Morelos to take pens from now on, yes he is one of the best forwards i have seen for us but he is not a natural clean striker of the ball

He and Goldson were poor again.
Poor how?
Both were caught out twice by raw pace and precise passing. That’s it.
Tav regularly had 2 men to mark.
No one was poor. It was a solid performance by the team.
I think Tav is being regarded as “poor” in comparison to his usual regular 8/10 performances, compare him to most other right backs and you’d be saying he had an ok game.
Goldson is only getting pointed out by so many (not necessarily you) because he’s been picked ahead of Katic, it’s a little bit embarrassing.

He was dreadful tonight, Candieas covered his back side so many times, he's been dreadful all season.
I’m not sure about “covering his back” but they linked up so well, and Tav felt confident going forward as he knew Candeias would be covering (most of 5he time).

Can you imagine the emotional pressure he was under, absolute nerve shredding for him and no one can say a bad word about it as we'd have all been the same. Thought he was a worthy captain on a great night

That's why none of us are on the park. In amongst the outpouring of emotion on here, the perspective is that it was a penalty versus Feyenoord in a 'league' match. We're not talking Novo versus Fiorentina or Arteta v Dunfermline.

If Tav retains his penalty duties then he has to adjust his style

I thought he telegraphed where he was putting the ball with the angle of his run up or step up actually and the keeper I think would have saved it if it was on target

It was a pressure pen and glad we got the 3 points but he didn’t have a great game last night but he’s still our captain and everyone has an off game so hopefully he bounces back on Sunday

I’d take the pressure off him for pens and ask Alfie and Defoe to take them for next few months

I thought both Tav and Goldson had OK games defensively, which ultimately was more important than their poor distribution.

Tav can play poorly, yet can still have one or two great bits of play that can lead to goals. He is still dangerous even when he is not firing on all cylinders.

Whether we take Tav off penalties or not, I'm far from convinced that Morelos is the man to take them. As good a goalscorer as he is, his technique is generally what lets him down. Barisic would be a decent shout for me.

I was very impressed with the team’s reaction to it. Whether it was to help the captain out, or because they decided to enact the game plan that probably hadn’t been delivered in the first 7 minutes.

One thing I will always say about Tav is that he never hides. He will always step up, and that is the character we need, regardless of disappointing games, mistakes, missed penalties or whatever.

Rangers captain wearing the number 2 jersey and he misses his penalty.

He recovered to play well but you could tell at the end and in his BT Sport interview how upset he was.

Football can be cruel but his team mates rallied to get the win.

i have no criticism of missing penalty at all , it happens, we know he's good from the spot but i thought he was poor second half last night defensively and gave the ball away too often.

Feel for Tav and Kamara just now.

As much as they have been poor at times, can also see they are trying things to make a difference in games. But unfortunately nothing seems to be happening for them.

Not much slack given by our support ever.

Must have had huge pressure wearing that No2 on his back last night on the day after Fernando passed must have went through his mind waiting on the ref blowing for the kick .
Penalty itself 3 inches to the left and it was the perfect penalty .
My thoughts are next penalty Tav to take it misses it then give the next to Borna

Gutted! Why, FFS?

He missed a penalty and didn't have his best game, that was it.

Catch yourself on mate.

It was an emotionally charged night after what happened to Ricksen.

Taverniers links to Ricksen as the current number 2 and current Rangers captain who then gets the opportunity to score the opening goal and he missed it.

I said earlier in the thread better players have missed penalties in high pressure circumstances but yes I was gutted for our current Rangers captain

Show the guy support ffs

It clearly got to him during the game, at full time and in his press conference.

He is human mind.

Catch yourself on mate.

It was an emotionally charged night after what happened to Ricksen.

Taverniers links to Ricksen as the current number 2 and current Rangers captain who then gets the opportunity to score the opening goal and he missed it.

I said earlier in the thread better players have missed penalties in high pressure circumstances but yes I was gutted for our current Rangers captain

Show the guy support ffs

It clearly got to him during the game, at full time and in his press conference.

He is human mind.

I always show all our players support mate. I'm not gutted for him, he missed a penalty that was it.

I dont think he is playing really poor, i just think after the form of last season we are expecting more of the same, but he has not quite hit that same form yet we think hes poor but i still think he has been ok but hopefully can get back to the form we know he is capable of and i will support him all the way

He has been incredibly poor this season, hopefully comes out his bad run soon but he has had a poor start to the season.

A could save Tavs penalty all day long.
He goes to the keepers bottom left nearly every time. He needs to start mixing it up more or hand the penaltys to Morelos.

Ps I think it was a mistake coming out the last time when he let Defoe take the penalty saying it won't happen again. He looked really nervous last night and should of gave it to Alfie or someone that was confident

Poor how?
Both were caught out twice by raw pace and precise passing. That’s it.
Tav regularly had 2 men to mark.
No one was poor. It was a solid performance by the team.
I think Tav is being regarded as “poor” in comparison to his usual regular 8/10 performances, compare him to most other right backs and you’d be saying he had an ok game.
Goldson is only getting pointed out by so many (not necessarily you) because he’s been picked ahead of Katic, it’s a little bit embarrassing.

Disagree with your point on Goldson JW.

Was done for pace two or three times, had a number of passes out of defence that put us under pressure and also got two free headers from corners that once again he couldn’t keep down. That’s happened maybe 6 times this season ?

A could save Tavs penalty all day long.
He goes to the keepers bottom left nearly every time. He needs to start mixing it up more or hand the penaltys to Morelos.

Ps I think it was a mistake coming out the last time when he let Defoe take the penalty saying it won't happen again. He looked really nervous last night and should of gave it to Alfie or someone that was confident

A quick search found this video from October last year featuring 11 Tavernier penalties. I will leave it to you to count how many go to the 'keeper's bottom left.

Disagree with your point on Goldson JW.

Was done for pace two or three times, had a number of passes out of defence that put us under pressure and also got two free headers from corners that once again he couldn’t keep down. That’s happened maybe 6 times this season ?
The headers were annoying, because he’d held off wrestling and got onto some great balls from Borna and Tav. I’d probably be more annoyed if someone hadn’t got on the end of them. He’s chipped in with a few goals this season and on the basis of his desire to get on the end of them last night I reckon he will have a few more.

The pace thing there’s little you can do about when you have technically gifted midfielders and lightning quick forwards with a bit of space to operate in. All you can hope to do is intercept the through ball or else hold them up until support arrives which I thought both he and Tav especially done well because the forwards were so quick.

A quick search found this video from October last year featuring 11 Tavernier penalties. I will leave it to you to count how many go to the 'keeper's bottom left.

I was going to write or straight up the middle but I'm surprised seeing he went to the keepers right a couple times, always seemed keepers left or down middle

I was going to write or straight up the middle but I'm surprised seeing he went to the keepers right a couple times, always seemed keepers left or down middle

Our minds are often guilty of playing tricks on us to fit preconceived notions. Tav varies his penalties quite a bit - more than most in fact - though I do hate those 'down the middle ones'. For me, last night he saw the 'keeper had guessed where he was going and just tried to push it too much in order to compensate. He'd probably have been better sticking to the original trajectory and just going higher.

Back