Was the Goldson tackle in the second half a penalty?

Got to admit I thought that was a penalty. They showed the angle from behind the goal and there was clear contact, surprised VAR never pulled it up and gave the ref a look at it.

Because the contact was so minimal that it wouldn't have felled a two year old. The EF player made an absolute meal of it. If it was a clear and obvious error the VAR official would most definitelu have called the ref over to look at it himself.

I thought it was a own story the time and now I’ve seen it again I think it could’ve been given.

That being said their player was rolling around and stayed down, completely embarrassing and should’ve been booked if they decided no contact had been made.

Ref was poor throughout and seemed desperate not too book any of the players (which worked on our favour at times).

One angle shows definite marginal contact, the fact the player went down so dramatically made it look suspicious. I would have wanted it had it been up the other end.

Looked like one to me, I was shocked, but thrilled when it wasn't awarded.

I said to my son "VAR is going to give that to them."

I think we were fortunate on that one.
I'd feel hard done by if the situation was reversed!

To be fair, I think this is a sign of VAR “evolving”.

Had the ref given it I’ve no doubt VAR wouldn’t have over ruled him.

A case of no “clear and obvious” error so VAR let’s it go on as is. There was definitely “contact” whether it was enough to be a foul and put the guy to ground is debatable.

When showing the replays I’d my heart in my mouth. Was expecting it to be given by VAR.

That is exactly what I thought too. If i was the ref, I would have given it, and VAR wouldn't have overruled it. We got lucky there in my estimate.

There were contact, but the boy made an absolute meal of it.

Football is still a contract sport

Some non-Eintracht-German fans on the German board also went ballistic. We were shown it about a dozen times.

Goldson made marginal contact with the player`s foot, nothing that would make him lose control of himself and tumble to the ground though*. By the time contact was made, the ball was skipping too far anyway. I wouldn`t have gone mad had we been "denied" a penalty in such a way. Ref and VAR both agreed that there was too little in it to warrant a penalty.

* BTW, I am no fan of folk (like Kevin Thomson) saying that if people "feel that there is contact, they have every right to go down". That is essentially asking players to dive (no matter what and where) and essentially cheat. Not what I expect of a true British footballer.
Brilliant post.

I generally agree with you, though if given,by letter of the law ,no one could have got too upset.
Agree about the cheating bit 100%

The lad dived.
He could have put his foot down following the contact, instead, he kept his foot in the air and threw himself to the floor.
He might well have been booked.

The referee was outstanding.
Possibly the best referee I have seen in years.

Got to admit I thought that was a penalty. They showed the angle from behind the goal and there was clear contact, surprised VAR never pulled it up and gave the ref a look at it.
That clown craigen wanted it to be so it was a great decision by a fair and consistent referee to play on. The boy took a dive at the softest of tackles. I wish we had referees like that in Scotland.

I did think we got away with one there.
Peter Walton was probably right when he said that the VAR should’ve asked the ref to have a second look at it.

Th
By modern football rules and VAR, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t given.

Me personally, never in a fucking million years would I give a penalty for that.
Pre var days it would be soft and you'd be fuming getting it given against you but now in the age of var I reckon Goldson got away with one. It was mental to put his foot in there anyway. If only he'd been keener to put his foot in to cut out the cross at the equaliser.

Thought it was a penalty at the time and watching it for the first time just now it was a penalty.

In terms of him leaving the Club after Saturday, Connor Goldson owes us nothing. He's missed about 2 games in 4 years and yet some people question his commitment? He cost £3m and if you have a £3m centre half, you'll get the occasional mistake. He's not Sergio Ramos, but he doesn't cost Sergio Ramos type wages either, but he'll do for me. If saturday is his last game, he goes with my best wishes, same for every player on that park last night. I'm so proud of my team, it just wasn't to be.

Anyone who thinks this is the right time to have a swipe of any of the players should go and watch re-runs of the Progres Neidercon game.

Back