We desperately need a game-controlling midfielder

archimedes

I know Gerrard has said he wants a midfielder, but today just highlights how much we need one.
Davis sits too deep, Kamara offers nothing at all going forward.
The number of times either of those 2 had chances to shoot from outside the box today and opted for the short pass instead was frustrating as hell.

I know Gerrard has said he wants a midfielder, but today just highlights how much we need one.
Davis sits too deep, Kamara offers nothing at all going forward.
The number of times either of those 2 had chances to shoot from outside the box today and opted for the short pass instead was frustrating as hell.
Yep. Too flat and we rely too much on our full backs to create. No incision from further back and it causes us to pass up many good opportunities to play into dangerous areas.

To spend around £10m this summer and still have the same midfield is a huge problem.

I can only assume we thought Morelos would be gone, but there is an argument we will need another striker also if he does.

The manager obviously wants them in, but finance seems to be dictating why it hasn’t happened, and if it doesn’t get done and soon it will cost us.

Op is correct, Davis is not able to control games like now.

We need a class cm or the season is over before its begun.

why? So his perfect defence splitting pass that leads to the winning goal is wrong ruled offside by shite and biased officials??

No what we need is just to be officiated fair and sqaure without any bullshit

Anyone think we're picking up three points in the next league game at Motherwell?

We'll drop points again thanks to individual errors after controlling the game. Well score two or three after having about 15 decent opertunities to score then concede two or three.

Like clockwork. We'll be told that lot aren't that good and they'll drop points too. If that lot aren't that good, what does that make us?

Been said in previous seasons. Not enough winners. Agree with posters who say, the team today was full of last season's group and the bench not having the quality needed to change the game.

We need Morelos sold to bring in the money for a midfielder.

unfortunately once Morelos does go unless Ryan Kent scores 40 goals this season we look like we’re fucked.

Our midfield has been average and predictable and short of quality over Gerrard's tenure and it's never been addressed it's the weak line in our team.

To have two midfielders who just recycle the ball and play it sideways with the main job of protecting our full backs is unacceptable.

The heartbeat of your team should be your midfield and ours isn't that's why in games like this we get found out.

And sadly I don't see it changing any time soon.

We won’t win the league until we have that player.

It’s that simple for me and was a big part of our failings last season.

I tend to agree but I keep asking where we play them in our current system (which isn't going to change).

I don't think you'd play Gerrard or Barry Ferguson at the tip of triangle and nor do I think that they'd be best employed screening the centre halves a la Davis, Jack and Kamara.

Kamara is a waste of a jersey when we are on the front foot and needing to unlock packed defences.

Continually he is in space at edge of the box as we try to work an opening and he never takes any responsibility.

I sometimes wonder what game people watch. We absolutely dominated that game today.

We missed 4 sitters then made a mistake at the back which cost us the equaliser.

We could’ve/should’ve won that game 4-1 (at least) but our lack of a clinical edge cost us AGAIN.

I don't believe that we signed both Roofe and Itten with the intention of having 4 strikers in the squad, including Morelos. If we're going to keep Morelos then the deals to bring in both Roofe and Itten seem like a bit of a waste. If we have faith in Roofe, Itten and Defoe to be our strikers over the course of a season then Alfie's value would be better spent fixing that midfield. Either way, this team desperately needs to upgrade in midfield and wide right.

What we need is a player who is prepared to shoot from outside the box. Once this happens it will bring defenders out to close the space making more room for our attackers. Teams just defend their 18 yard box knowing we will try and ay through them.

Davis had one off those days when he couldn’t even make a simple pass his and Kamara’s performance was the reason Hibs could break on us.

I am now really concerned about the game in Holland during the week as I think it is going to be a massive test for this team.

We've needed one for two seasons. As well as an out and out right sided attacking player.

This year we've signed strikers, a left back and a centre half.

Our recruitment is awfully haphazard despite a supposed structure there for it.

We’ve needed 1 or 2 for months, probably even over a season now. Yet here we are, a few weeks before the end of the window yet to address it.
We've needed one for 2-3 years. We need a proper leader who will control games and help others go up a gear when the going gets tough.

I sometimes wonder what game people watch. We absolutely dominated that game today.

We missed 4 sitters then made a mistake at the back which cost us the equaliser.

We could’ve/should’ve won that game 4-1 (at least) but our lack of a clinical edge cost us AGAIN.

How many times have we said this though? When does it change?

We need a proven midfielder that consistently plays games, fed up of people mentioning zungu, we need better

It's exactly what we're lacking..we've enough hanky ball players. Now it's time to go and get a leader in the middle

If there's a decent one available

Bar about 10 minutes after we went ahead this is true. We completely controlled the game, 69% possession and 19 shots at goal. A ‘game-controlling midfielder’, which is the subject of the thread, is not what we need. We need someone with a mix of Hagi’s guile, Jack’s tenacity and Greg Docherty’s energy. Problem is, guys with that mix are playing at a much higher level than we offer.

We've spent nothing in midfield, bar 50k for Kamara & a token compensation fee for Aribo, as the management clearly don't view Hagi in there

Yeah, and I think the players in there don’t owe us anything considering that small outlay.

If we want to win anything though it badly needs to be addressed in what is left of the window.

Latest posts

Back