We fail to win a third of our league games under Gerrard

Walter Smith failed to win 146 from 449 league games managed for us, just to put things in perspective.
But but but....

for us to the win the league we had to improve but Celtic had to regress. We’ve improved on last season, sadly Lennon has Celtic winning almost every week on double our budget...

Since the start of last season we have won 43 league games out of 65.
So we have failed to win 22 times, almost exactly a third.

In those 22 games, only 3 were against Celtic. So we have dropped points 19 times to teams with a fraction of our budget, filled with free transfers and rejects.

Our record against the "dross" in the SPFL is shameful, and could end up costing the manager his job.

The league is what matters. And we are still miles away.
Doesn't make for good reading

The Board though are going to start feeling the fan pressure....that will change the dynamic. Since SG arrived they've done their best to support him however in the wider sense they blew valuable time and resource before that-that's whats putting SG under severe pressure now-their continued success-any progress without stopping them is no progress to a lot of our support.

The Board also playing to the gallery since Warburton onwards will now have ran out of time using that crap.....severe pressure is coming and unless this team does something remarkable it will cause something to break.
The board will feel pressure regardless of who is in the dugout and they will continually do so until that lot start to falter.

It's unrealistic to think we can stop them whilst they continue to go on relentless. We need to improve yes but they also need to weaken.

In overall terms we are obviously miles better than we were.

Where would we be without the European cash for example?
We are have clearly created a gap between us and the rest.

SG inherited a shambles and in the main budget wise as stated his signings have been better than average. 7M on Kent was as a few of us suggested a massive gamble but supporters can't have it both ways most wanted him at that price.

The reality is none of that matters because I would suggest he will be lucky to go into the start of next season with very probably a majority thinking he's not going to do it for us.

Of course the obvious problem is nobody know who we replace him with.

The club is on the verge of an unprecedented crisis (outside the obvious) with no easy answers.

What we’re taking here is replacing a manager who is improving the team year on year in the hope we get a miracle worker.

It can work out, it can also very easily lead to a slide backwards. We should all be able to remember just how shite things were 3 seasons ago. Gerrard stays while there’s a clear improvement each season. If it becomes clear he can take us no further forward that’s the time to act.

We can’t criticise the “great” Gerrard. A great player but an absolute s**** manager.

He gets a pass because of the name , Steve Clarke is head and shoulders above him in the SPL

What we’re taking here is replacing a manager who is improving the team year on year in the hope we get a miracle worker.

It can work out, it can also very easily lead to a slide backwards. We should all be able to remember just how shite things were 3 seasons ago. Gerrard stays while there’s a clear improvement each season. If it becomes clear he can take us no further forward that’s the time to act.
This 100%. It might not be as quick as we want, but we are improving. If you sack a manager who is improving you then you end up going backwards.

As, among other things, a statistician I would caution everyone to treat single statistics with extreme caution. There’s a theme running through this thread that a 66% win ratio is shocking. This is simply not true based on previous statistics.
Firstly it’s actually 74% thus far this season, it was 64% last season, so a 10% improvement thus far.
Secondly the last ten times we have won the league the average win percentage had been 70.7%. So thus far this season we’re about 3% better than the average win percentage over our last ten championship winning seasons. Among those ten win percentages have swung from 82% at the top end down to 56% (twice). 74% would have won the league in have of those ten seasons we won.

In fact the problem, not withstanding the nonsense since the winter break, is not our results thus far this season it’s the scum’s and there is nothing Steven Gerrard , or my other Rangers Manager, can do about that except beat them which he has achieved in half the league games he has played them.

I fear we are in danger of judging our performance on them rather than us.

In those 22 games, only 3 were against Celtic. So we have dropped points 19 times to teams with a fraction of our budget, filled with free transfers and rejects.

Our record against the "dross" in the SPFL is shameful, and could end up costing the manager his job.

Our European run hide such facts

As, among other things, a statistician I would caution everyone to treat single statistics with extreme caution. There’s a theme running through this thread that a 66% win ratio is shocking. This is simply not true based on previous statistics.
Firstly it’s actually 74% thus far this season, it was 64% last season, so a 10% improvement thus far.
Secondly the last ten times we have won the league the average win percentage had been 70.7%. So thus far this season we’re about 3% better than the average win percentage over our last ten championship winning seasons. Among those ten win percentages have swung from 82% at the top end down to 56% (twice). 74% would have won the league in have of those ten seasons we won.

In fact the problem, not withstanding the nonsense since the winter break, is not our results thus far this season it’s the scum’s and there is nothing Steven Gerrard , or my other Rangers Manager, can do about that except beat them which he has achieved in half the league games he has played them.

I fear we are in danger of judging our performance on them rather than us.

hearts 2-1
aberdeen 0-0
kilmarnock 2-1
st johnstone 2-2

nah its definitely us we're judging it on

and if anyone is saying we need more money spent to beat that list of shite you've lost it

Why?

SPL wise Steve Clarke has achieved much more than Gerrard.

“Gerrard is a shite manager” - fundamentally wrong and I don’t think I need to explain why this statement is bollocks.

What has Steve Clarke achieved exactly? Trophies won? He made Kilmarnock solid and hard to beat, that’s it. Certainly not someone who would have excelled at our club.

Your post is an embarrassment.

“Gerrard is a shite manager” - fundamentally wrong and I don’t think I need to explain why this statement is bollocks.

What has Steve Clarke achieved exactly? Trophies won? He made Kilmarnock solid and hard to beat, that’s it. Certainly not someone who would have excelled at our club.

Your post is an embarrassment.

Trophies won is the same amount of trophies won as Gerrard. Gerrard has spent probably £15m more than him. Maybe Clarke wouldn’t have excelled at our club but he’s achieved much more than Gerrard has in the SPL.

Gerrard has stuck with the same formation and tactics all year. His consistent approach to playing an out of form Kent has cost us massively. He is a reactive manager and not a proactive manager which has cost us points.

You’re a bad manager in my eyes if you don’t try to change anything for 6 straight games and expect different results

hearts 2-1
aberdeen 0-0
kilmarnock 2-1
st johnstone 2-2

nah its definitely us we're judging it on

and if anyone is saying we need more money spent to beat that list of shite you've lost it
I didn’t say anything about needing more money spent. I have only pointed out that taking a single statistic should be treated with caution. Similarly picking four poor results since the winter break proves nothing other than our form in that period has been poor, but we know that.

As an aside and attempting to show what taking a single statistic can give, Ally McCoist is the Rangers Manager with the highest win percentage, 72%, so on the basis of this thread he must be the most successful manager we have ever had.
Hopefully this proves my point.

I didn’t say anything about needing more money spent. I have only pointed out that taking a single statistic should be treated with caution. Similarly picking four poor results since the winter break proves nothing other than our form in that period has been poor, but we know that.

As an aside and attempting to show what taking a single statistic can give, Ally McCoist is the Rangers Manager with the highest win percentage, 72%, so on the basis of this thread he must be the most successful manager we have ever had.
Hopefully this proves my point.

no it proves nothing as it was done in lower leagues against absolute shite

we've won less than half of our games against kilmarnock hearts and aberdeen

that is a chronic state of affairs and not an anomaly or statistical hiccup but shite performances again and again and again against inferior opposition

I knew it was bad but didn’t realise how bad :(

Concerning . However despite my misgivings after today , I can’t see a better manager we could get so I say keep backing the manager

Yep a manager with only an U18's team previously on his CV and not a single trophy to his name is absolutely the best manager the Famous Glasgow Rangers could attract.

Yep a manager with only an U18's team previously on his CV and not a single trophy to his name is absolutely the best manager the Famous Glasgow Rangers could attract.

Name me a couple we could get then better than Gerrard . I think you’ll struggle .

Would take Giovanni van Bronckhorst over him every day of the week.

Di Matteo maybe.

it's not near stick or twist time, Gerrards downfall is his inexperience and he seems to stick how he wants the game to be played and his choice of players hence why he tends to keep the same 9/10 players if all fit .........here's hoping he learns and quick

it's not near stick or twist time, Gerrards downfall is his inexperience and he seems to stick how he wants the game to be played and his choice of players hence why he tends to keep the same 9/10 players if all fit .........here's hoping he learns and quick

I’m not being funny but I’ve been waiting on him “learning his lesson” for 6 weeks now.

Don’t know if it’s stubbornness or just tactically inept. Is the reason he doesn’t drop kent is he costs £7m?

It’s tome to twist If he doesn’t win the Scottish cup. We can’t afford to be his “learning project”. By the time the penny drops and he starts playing 2 up from against bottom 6 teams, rather than 2 CDMs , Celtic will be at 14 in a row

Going from bottom of the league on no budget to 3rd is a far greater achievement than spending near £15m going from 3rd to 2nd but still being double figures behind Celtic
Kilmarnock have a better budget than half the teams in the league and shouldn't have been bottom.

If it's just about finances then we are where we should be. Ahead of the rest of the pack but significantly behind them. They spent more than 15 million on Julien and Edouard alone.

His win ratio is very similar to Walter Smiths

We can’t criticise the “great” Gerrard. A great player but an absolute s**** manager.

He gets a pass because of the name , Steve Clarke is head and shoulders above him in the SPL
Absolute nonsense.
Steve Clarke was a decent diddy team manager, but he never took on the demands of a club like Rangers, where the supporters don't just want to win matches, they want to see top quality players and to win matches with style.
They also expect to do well in Europe at the same time.
Where is there anything like a proper comparison to Gerrard in any of that?

Gerrard's achievements in Europe are stunning in comparison to anything Clarke has ever done.
No cvunt outside of Scotland gives a shyte that Kilmarnock can get ten men behind a ball on a crappy plastic pitch and bore the fckn pants of anyone who can be bothered to turn up!
Oh ...apart from you that is!

One million people all over Europe, however, have tuned into watch Rangers make an amazingly exciting and attacking comeback against one of the form teams on the continent!!! :p

Steve fckn Clarke ...ffsake!!!!

It’s worse when you consider a portion of the wins were wracked up in dead rubber games where the league was gone.

This is the cold hard facts/stat I'd like to see addressed. The argument usualy descends into generalisations, 'remember Pedro'. etc.

His record against a sheep team we all laugh at every other week is awful. Kilmarnock regularly strip points off us.
It's not good enough and its embarrassing!

I think Gerrard will know when the time comes that when he has failed and will quit himself no one will need to tell him.
As much as he is to blame for certain aspects the players need to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror as they are not giving their all for the cause and if they are then they need to GTF Rangers is not the Club for you.

Hypothetically if we were to win remaining 11 league games we finish on 97 points out of 114 possible. Unless Celtic drop points in at least 2, or lose one and we make up a lot of goal difference we finish second. While it is disappointing how we have played since break, could still finish on points total that would we league way more often than not. Then once you take into account couple decisions against us and couple for them and gap should be much closer. Gerrard has his issues as manager but couple decisions going our way and everything looks so much better

Really? There's at least 5 threads on the front page criticising the manager.
Rightly so, however there were also some cropped earlier after the game doing the same. Gerrard gets a fairly easy time of it on here considering he’s very likely to oversee two more Celtic trebles in his two years in charge.

Hypothetically if we were to win remaining 11 league games we finish on 97 points out of 114 possible. Unless Celtic drop points in at least 2, or lose one and we make up a lot of goal difference we finish second. While it is disappointing how we have played since break, could still finish on points total that would we league way more often than not. Then once you take into account couple decisions against us and couple for them and gap should be much closer. Gerrard has his issues as manager but couple decisions going our way and everything looks so much better
They won the league last year with 87 points.

FWIW he has won 74% of league games this season.

FWIW he picked up a clusterfuck the beginning of last season.

I point this out for context and as someone who can see his (so far) glaring failings

Back