We gave it our best shot

I think a few felt the occasion for the first 20 minutes or so, but got to grips with it. I just think Frankfurt had a wee bit more about them on the night, and even then we took it all the way and really should have won at the end.
Some never got to grips with it

Not for me OP.

The level of performance compared to previous rounds dropped massively.

Played absolutely nowhere near our best and still nearly won it, makes it all the harder to take as Eintracht were on a plate for us.

With the squad we had available and the players we have out injured. That was our best effort. To be honest even with the players we had out last night then we would have probably lost as well. Our squad didn't cost that much to put together, barring what Ramsey and Diallo are worth, but even then they're loan players. The players gave us everything, maybe a lack of experience at the elite level meant nerves played a big part, but they still got us there and still tried their hardest. I'm a big believer in when a team plays shite it's the other teams tactics that makes them look bad. I think the Germans got their tactics spot on tonight and let us knock the ball around at the back but swamped us as soon as it got to midfield, which forced us to play long balls a lot. But at the end of the day our players gave us everything they had, maybe we just didn't have enough about us to get over the line and we need to see the reality, rather than what some are doing and slaughtering our players. It's a hard one to take but see it for what it is.
We were poor for large spells of the game and far too passive and if it wasn’t for Bassey the scoreline could have been worse as he barely put a foot wrong all game. Roofe and Ramsey should have come on after 60mins just to give us a bit more creativity and guile as well as better finishing ability up top, the performance overall was similarly as poor as the Septic park one where we didn’t take the game to them enough that day either.
My GFs CEO is an Arsenal and he watched our game, as soon as he seen Ramsey step up he knew he was missing that penalty, says it all really. If your going to sub a sub then Ramsey was the one to run into the ground and replace with a fresh player.

This is totally unfair, there's a big difference between not playing well and not giving your all and accusing the players of that is way off.

If players weren't giving their all the game doesn't go all the way to penalties.
It went to penalties because, in all honesty, Frankfurt ain't great. Hence the nagging feeling that it was undoubtedly there to be grabbed. If Frankfurt came and blew us away, fine. They didn't, but our big players who we needed, didn't show for whatever reason. Goldson, Tav, Jack, Kent, all relatively anonymous. Tav constantly shut down in the first half, had my blood pressure through the roof.

What has helped me a very small bit was seeing that Kent's effort at the end would have probably been ruled out if it had gone in.

I’m not 100% that it is out, I think the ball is touching the line, just, and I really want it to have been out

I also think Steven Davis shot is going in if their player didn’t get the faintest of touches with his head.

Last edited:
We didn't do ourselves justice - that's what makes me so frustrated and angry.

We can come out with all the birthday caird pish about it being a great journey to get there and all that.

But you HAVE to turn up and put in a performance. Be the best version of yourselves.

We didn't even come close.

Bitterly disappointed. Such a wasted opportunity.

Being brutally honest, I don’t think we did.

Admittedly Frankfurt’s tactics helped subdue us to an extent and without either of our recognised first choice strikers we were certainly at a disadvantage, but I do feel we were collectively a bit overawed by the occasion and never really found any fluency.

Despite all that we still had chances to win it and finished the stronger side.

There’s certainly no disgrace to be applied.

It went to penalties because, in all honesty, Frankfurt ain't great. Hence the nagging feeling that it was undoubtedly there to be grabbed. If Frankfurt came and blew us away, fine. They didn't, but our big players who we needed, didn't show for whatever reason. Goldson, Tav, Jack, Kent, all relatively anonymous. Tav constantly shut down in the first half, had my blood pressure through the roof.

That’s down to their tactics though, they nullified our threats very well, Frankfurt are quite similar to us in a way, they dont have any real stars, bar their left back and our real star in Morelos was injured, however both sides are a real team, but you don’t make a final beating Barcelona and West Ham on the way if you aren’t a good side.

I don’t think we were as bad as folk are making out either, it was a game that could have gone either way and in the end the only difference was a bad penalty.

The most frustrating aspect for me was losing the midfield for a lot of the game, probably swung it largely in their favour. There were so many times that second balls weren’t picked up or fought for.

Back