We weren't clinical enough...

People keep mentioning the ruthlessness but realistically where do all
These goals come from? And where if morelos leaves ?

I’ve felt that the record we broke recently with clean sheets flattered us a bit, don’t think we have looked great and it’s clear we’re missing something.

As the OP says, we weren’t clinical enough, we create plenty of chances it’s putting them to bed that’s the problem.

Something that we do regularly that confuses me is when we’re chasing a game we fire these long balls over the top or hopeful crosses into the box, typically from Goldson, Tav and Barisic. They don’t seem like they’re aimed at anyone, more often than not they just lead to us losing possession. Davis hit Arfield today with a ball over the top but in general it’s ineffective.

If we’re all being completely honest, the win last week against Dundee United was the first time we’ve actually looked like doing serious damage.

The rest have all been a bit meh for me, winning comfortably without playing particularly well, but in almost all of those matches we were bemoaning the lack of ruthlessness.

Why else is it that we can have 70% possession in matches, create dozens of chances yet end up with the same number of goals as more limited opponents?

We will drop silly points over the course of the season - it happens and we did so even when we were winning titles - but with us it’s difficult to escape the feeling we’ll continue dropping more silly points than they will and that’s the difference.

Someone said on another thread earlier that we probably need to put together a long winning streak to win the title this season.

Well, so far we’ve managed a grand total of three. This is when our failure to translate all of our possession into goals really comes into question.

What’s the point of dominating the ball so obsessively if we aren’t able to convert more of our chances?

Very true OP, but nothing will be done. Nothing will improve. The players and management have shown they simply can’t do any better. They’ve had plenty of time to do so.

It's been a common theme for a long, long time.

Arfield's double miss was totally unacceptable. But there were several others.

This is where the mentally challengeds have one over us. They are clinical when they need to be.

Regarding the Arfield misses, I thought that their goalie did really well in stopping them. Similarly with Kent's chance, which was also on target. If the Hibs goalie hadn't needed to make those saves I would have been very annoyed but sometimes you have to give a goalie some credit for making excellent saves.

Regarding the Arfield misses, I thought that their goalie did really well in stopping them. Similarly with Kent's chance, which was also on target. If the Hibs goalie hadn't needed to make those saves I would have been very annoyed but sometimes you have to give a goalie some credit for making excellent saves.
The first one I may give you, but Arfield should have buried the second one. He was far too casual.

Back