We WILL reach another European final before long.

I think the chances of me seeing our team in another final are slim & I am 33. This is what keeps ringing round in my head.

I do feel incredibly lucky & privileged to have witnessed the team in 2 major European finals.

I pray my son who is nearly 3 will get to witness this on at least 1 occasion, hopefully with a better outcome.

Mate not only will your son witness it so will you. Yes last night was massively disappointing, they were very very beatable and we froze but we can make it again especially with the new 3rd tier.

I thought Manchester was it and it wasn't Seville won't be it either :)

I think the chances of me seeing our team in another final are slim & I am 33. This is what keeps ringing round in my head.

I do feel incredibly lucky & privileged to have witnessed the team in 2 major European finals.

I pray my son who is nearly 3 will get to witness this on at least 1 occasion, hopefully with a better outcome.
You've got a year on me mate and I'm absolutely convinced that I'll see at least another two. Maybe your boy will lead us out the tunnel in one of them!

The once in a generation stuff is small-time acceptance. Ajax and Porto are the gold standard of clubs that we should be aiming to emulate in European football from smaller countries. I don't see why we can't be there or thereabouts next year given we've had four decent campaigns by and large improving year on year.
Ajax have only had 1 European final in the last 25 years and they lost it. Portugal is the only small country that seems to get teams in European finals consistently. Think their advantage is they share a language with Brazil and a lot of Brazillian players do well there. Not sure how we replicate that.

For all the chat that a European final is once in a lifetime or once in a generation for a club like ours, I have to disagree.

Taking Manchester in 2008 into account, we have since played in European competitions on 10 occasions.

07/08 - UEFA Cup runners up
08/09 - CL 2nd Qualifying Round
09/10 - CL Group Stage
10/11 - CL Group Stage
11/12 - CL 3rd Qualifying Round
17/18 - EL 1st Qualifying Round
18/19 - EL Group Stage
19/20 - EL Round of 16
20/21 - EL Round of 16
21/22 - EL runners up

So in our last 10 European campaigns, we have reached two finals. That isn't once in a lifetime or once in generation. Rangers are not expected to reach finals but there is absolutely nothing stopping us from doing so again, especially with the introduction of a third European competition this season with the Conference League.

I am absolutely gutted about last night's result but I'm immensely proud of the team and my club.

Rangers WILL make another European final before long. Let's just hope we can go one step further when we do.
Had we won last night, I would have shared your optimism.
The extra guaranteed income from the super cup and the UCL as well as the commercial spin offs, would have catapulted us into being a club top players would want to play for and who we could afford to pay
However, last night’s unfortunate defeat, means an uphill battle, especially if we don’t qualify for the UCL next season.
The board have got some big decisions to make ahead of preseason.
They must invest to give GVB the best possible chance of getting through the UCL qualifier and playoff round.
If we don’t make the UCL, we will be playing second fiddle to the kiddiefiddlers again financially and there will be a drop in quality in our squad.

I think our coaching team have been excellent in this European campaign since coming in. This type of football suits them, they have been tactically astute for the majority of the games.
They will be hungry for more, they will be hungry to put right there wrongs from last night.

I felt immense pride at us taking Frankfurt to extra time, after the doing we took of them at times. Penalties was always going to be a lottery, it’s an unfair way to lose a game but it is what it is.
The point is, if we keep a hold of our staff, if we keep a hold of some players we have, ie; Lundstram, Bassey, Kent, Morelos, Kamara and Aribo, as well as the young talent we have, none more so than Lowry and King, we absolutely have the squad and the players to be able to reach another final within the next 3-5 years. I’ve got no doubt about it. Our club is bigger than others give credit for, this is a huge club and it’s demonstrated by the huge fanbase we have.

I’m very hopeful that we can reach another final very soon, but let’s concentrate on getting to the top table and making the world admire our Ibrox atmosphere!

Ajax have only had 1 European final in the last 25 years and they lost it. Portugal is the only small country that seems to get teams in European finals consistently. Think their advantage is they share a language with Brazil and a lot of Brazillian players do well there. Not sure how we replicate that.
Ajax and Porto routinely get there or thereabouts in competitions, maybe not finals as that is an unrealistic expectation consistently. Right now a lot of us will be happy to make the group stages, but with our Ibrox form I think we should be pushing for 2nd and then a run like this or we get third. Morelos didn't share a language with any of us prior to his arrival but he managed to get by. Maybe we should use him as an example to more South Americans around Europe and before they get here.

I understand the sentiment but will we ever get a better chance than last night?

Frankfurt were obviously a decent team but we’ve beaten better already this campaign.

I know that are unbeaten in Europe this season but for me that game was there for us to go and take. Especially after going 1-0 up.

A really sore one to take.
Yep - the gods were aligned last night unlikely to meet a team 11th in their league in a final again - it was THE big opportunity and we just couldn't get over the line - injuries played a part of course but it is a sore one to take

As with others, the conference league means it’s possible again. Maybe even another Europa league ? Who knows.

The paradox is we don’t really want to be in the conference league - ever. A team guaranteed top 2 in their domestic league ….being in the conference means something has gone wrong.

The way football is going, it is getting harder for us to compete, not easier. Conference League would be more realistic unfortunately.

Sadly that's true ,
We should have done a good bit better with the players and resources we had
I'm not convinced Walter was a great manager first time around. It was his first job and he was still learning the trade. His 2nd spell at the club he'd clearly learned so much from his time at Man Utd, Everton and Scotland and managed to get us to a final with far fewer resources, which was an absolute tactical masterclass.

Said that in another thread, once a club sets so high standards its a precedent that runs from the chairman to the players. Recruitment is now key and with our record at home in qualifying I can see Rangers winning the Europa League within the next 3 or 4 years or possibly less. The Champions League however will be different but when we get the League back next year the possibilities are endless, use this disappointment as a positive and starting at the weekend let's start that winning mentality by winning some silverware

Don't why we see this as an end rather than a beginning.

I think the major factor in having performed so well in Europe in the past few seasons was having managers who played and won in Europe. They saw it as "no big deal" and transferred that mindset to their players. You saw it immediately with Gerrard's team.

Jack Nicklaus stated somewhere along the way that majors were the easiest to win because 9 out of 10 players choked. I think we see that all over Scottish football. There is no way that teams like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and others should be failing on such a regular basis where we have excelled over the past 4 seasons.

Those teams have a losing mindset and fear what they see as a level up.
We appear to have won the psychological battle in Europe at least.
I'm hoping our domestic mentality takes another step forward on Saturday.

I would love you to be right but i just have my doubts, to get to European finals you need a lot of the stars did align.
I think last night was my last chance to see us win a European trophy unfortunately.

Said to my mare earlier that scottish clubs have played in 5 euro finals in my 40 years living.
Go back another 20 years and it's 10 euro finals for scottish clubs (5 for us)
It's getting harder with the finances of course, but this record suggests it could happen again.

I'd love to share your optimism, but another final in the next 15-20 years is unrealistic in my mind. 36 years between Barcelona and Manchester points to the more likely scenario.
The big difference is that we are almost guaranteed group stage football of some form now.

In those 36 years between Barca and Manchester, some years we would have a bad night and that would be us out of Europe in July or August.

Now that isn't a worry, we are guaranteed European football until Christmas at least and we only need to finish in the top 3 of a 4 team group in the CL or EL or top 2 of a 4 team group in the Ecl to have European football after christmas.

It is almost harder to get knocked out of Europe early these days.

Once you are in the knock out rounds we have shown that we can go on runs.

I believe we will be in a EL or ECL final within the next decade.

Last edited:
For all the chat that a European final is once in a lifetime or once in a generation for a club like ours, I have to disagree.

Taking Manchester in 2008 into account, we have since played in European competitions on 10 occasions.

09/10 - CL Group Stage
10/11 - CL Group Stage
18/19 - EL Group Stage
19/20 - EL Round of 16
20/21 - EL Round of 16
21/22 - EL runners up

So in our last 10 European campaigns, we have reached two finals. That isn't once in a lifetime or once in generation. Rangers are not expected to reach finals but there is absolutely nothing stopping us from doing so again, especially with the introduction of a third European competition this season with the Conference League.

I am absolutely gutted about last night's result but I'm immensely proud of the team and my club.

Rangers WILL make another European final before long. Let's just hope we can go one step further when we do.
Couldn't agree more.

This is the third time I've heard "we won't be back here". 92/93, 07/08, and this season...

New team next season, largely, so it'll take a few years until we get near again..but we will be back.

Every 15 years is the standard.

93 CL semi final

2008 Manchester

2022 Seville
Those 14 years between Manchester and Seville were largely spent climbing through the lower leagues and rebuilding.

Unless you expect that to be happening again anytime soon, there is no reason whatsoever that we should expect to wait another 15 years to have a decent crack in Europe again.

I see no reason why we can't make the knock out stages at least 1 year in 3 and the group stages of CL or EL most years. Once in the knock out rounds anything can happen.

I might need a couple of years t save for the next one though

The financial bubble some of these so called Super Clubs (let's say14/16 of them) are in will burst soon or they will f off to a Super League and live a soulless existence selling TV rights to Asia and the Arabs allowing the rest to enjoy European football at a more even playing field. We will be among the front runners when it happens. We are growing so much and gaining the right exposure that we will play a huge part in changes when the likes of man city and psg bugger off. We will flourish in the new European system.

I’d bet either us or them will win the Conference title within the next 5 years (that in case they haven’t scrapped it by then)

Good post. The introduction of the conference league (horrible name) is one of the few things Uefa have got right in recent years. It's been a lot stronger than people gave it credit for and if you look at the four semi finalists I don't think it's at all out of reach for us to be competing in the later stages most seasons.

And all of that is before we even talk about the fact we have just made the final of the tournament above that one.

Like you I'm optimistic about our future and Gio's tenure.
I was originally against the idea of a 3rd tier of European football, but it has proven to be a good addition, and thing has strengthened the EL as a result.

My only real fear is that as a result, it tries to push teams like ours further away from the CL.
Good post. The introduction of the conference league (horrible name) is one of the few things Uefa have got right in recent years. It's been a lot stronger than people gave it credit for and if you look at the four semi finalists I don't think it's at all out of reach for us to be competing in the later stages most seasons.

And all of that is before we even talk about the fact we have just made the final of the tournament above that one.

Like you I'm optimistic about our future and Gio's tenure.

Been saying this all day. 2008 we were 2nd best in the final but it felt like we shouldn't be there somehow. After that the talk was we'll never see another in our generation.

But this feels different. This feels like we won our place fare and square and will be a contendor and usually fixture on that stage now and I can see us reaching europa or conference finals every 6 or 7 years.

09/10 - CL Group Stage
10/11 - CL Group Stage
18/19 - EL Group Stage
19/20 - EL Round of 16
20/21 - EL Round of 16
21/22 - EL runners up

I really hope you're right bud.

09/10 - CL Group Stage
10/11 - CL Group Stage
18/19 - EL Group Stage
19/20 - EL Round of 16
20/21 - EL Round of 16
21/22 - EL runners up

That’s the spirit mate.We are Rangers.
I really believe under Gio things are going to get even better.

One thing that I’m absolutely confident about is that we will all see plenty of European knockout tie victories in the near future.

Getting to a final is an incredible achievement and you need a lot going for you. But in a 2 leg knockout tie, there’s genuinely not a team in Europe that I think we wouldn’t at least have a chance against, and I include champions league teams in that.

Portugal have an agreement with the Brazilian government their players no matter what age can live and work in Portugal without a work permit I believe. It gives Portugese teams a massive advantage when it comes to the best young Brazilian footballing talent.

I'm going to be more optimistic and say we will be back in a final in the next 5 years.

The team have a great mentality in Europe now and always went a step further every year over the last 4 or 5 runs.

As an earlier poster said having Gerrard and now Gio has been massive on how we set up they know what it takes. I know there will be some changes to the team this summer but i honestly beleive the players who stay will be choking to go again. Teams also fear us at Ibrox now we are the team no one wants to get.

We definitely need more strikers and back ups going forward as that was key in us loosing.

Onwards and upwards bears.

Love this optimism, but something else to reflect on is how fantastic it was to win all of those knockout ties.
They are all separate brilliant experiences. This can happen again next season. Onwards and upwards

Rangers should be in the last 32 every year for Europa league (including a 3rd place in. Champs league)
Then it’s just 4 knock out ties
And with the new Ibrox atmosphere manifesting itself into an absolute cauldron that gives us a 60/40 start in every tie
We’ll be back in the semis and finals for sure

I said that 14 years ago. You will see more than one, I am so confident of that now.

The bubble has burst for the big club's, they know it that's why they were so desperate for the closed shop.

The biggest names, their ego's are bigger than their ability, they think they are too important to put in a shift. Nobody can afford or is allowed to pay them anymore anyway

The football landscape is changing, levelling out, smaller budgets can succeed with team spirit and workrate.

I'd love to share your optimism, but another final in the next 15-20 years is unrealistic in my mind. 36 years between Barcelona and Manchester points to the more likely scenario.
I don’t understand the negativity on this thread. Where we are now in terms of recruitment, youth players, tactics we should be hugely optimistic! Even in a season with the huge disruption of losing our manager mid season, we have made two finals - one in Europe, and finished a few points behind the scum. We will only be better next year. How many europa league finals have Seville made the last 15 years? We are a bigger club than them. If we can get out of the mindset that the only thing that matters is beating the scum, there is absolutely no reason we cannot be regulars in latter stages of Europe. 2008 was the start of our collapse - most of our best players were sold and the team dismantled. The difference now is we are on the way up!

Will we be in a final every year? Absolutely not. Should we be expected to wait 15 years? Absolutely not!

Excellent post. Made 5 finals in 67 years. 1 every 13 years.

Made 3 finals in 11 years between 61 and 72. A win away from a Champions league final 21 years later in 93, made the UEFA Cup final in 2008 and now the Europa in 2022. That's no too shabby for the shite hole, backwater Country we're in.

It would mean a poor first half of the season in Europe if we ended up in it but if we were in it the Conference League is something I'd bite your hand off for.

Desperate to see Rangers lift European silverware in my lifetime. Last night was really fcking heartbreaking.

Rangers should be in the last 32 every year for Europa league (including a 3rd place in. Champs league)
Then it’s just 4 knock out ties
And with the new Ibrox atmosphere manifesting itself into an absolute cauldron that gives us a 60/40 start in every tie
We’ll be back in the semis and finals for sure
The fact that we had a good run and rode the crest of wave this year doesn't make it the new norm. The absolute cauldron didn't prevent us losing ties against Slavia Prague and Malmo in the last 2 seasons. In a random year, given a random draw against the calibre of teams who make it to the Europa League knockout stages, there's no way that we're 60/40 favourites. That's pure delusion honestly.

If we'd went into the Conference League instead of Sparta and made it to the final we'd have played Partizan, Feyenoord, Slavia and Marseillie to get there. Plenty of big games there.

Shite name aside that's a competition I want to win if we're in it and believe we would have a great chance of doing so.

The fact that we had a good run and rode the crest of wave this year doesn't make it the new norm. The absolute cauldron didn't prevent us losing ties against Slavia Prague and Malmo in the last 2 seasons. In a random year, given a random draw against the calibre of teams who make it to the Europa League knockout stages, there's no way that we're 60/40 favourites. That's pure delusion honestly.
No fans in against Slavia.

We also had an unfit striker (see a theme here) leading the line and a much less tactically minded manager.

With Gio and the Ibrox roar I'd back us against anyone at home in Europe.

If we can get into the group stage of CL it will be great for finances and all the top fixtures that follow. I love Thursday games you get random fixtures to see other parts of Europe rather than just Spain, Germany, France and Italy

I was originally against the idea of a 3rd tier of European football, but it has proven to be a good addition, and thing has strengthened the EL as a result.

My only real fear is that as a result, it tries to push teams like ours further away from the CL.

That's fair but could it also act as a stepping stone? Certainly makes Scottish football a bit more attractive mate?

The once in a generation stuff is small-time acceptance. Ajax and Porto are the gold standard of clubs that we should be aiming to emulate in European football from smaller countries. I don't see why we can't be there or thereabouts next year given we've had four decent campaigns by and large improving year on year.
This is it. We need a board that looks beyond short term parochialism and builds a club on a good youth system with sensible signings we can develop and sell. We should be looking to keep doing what we have done recently...that is build a team in say a four year period to a peak, just like the clubs you mentioned. I couldn't give a toss about domestic trebles, far rather win league and be taken seriously in Europe that go for quadruple trebles that nobody outside of Glasgow has even heard about far less cares about. I want to see us regularly in at least last eight of Europa League and at worst conference league.

Back