Well done Ross McCusland

Credit where it’s due as I’ve been critical that he needs to add goals and assists to his game. After a promising start his recent performances were full of effort but no end product.

He was excellent on both fronts last night.

I don't think he'll ever be what we're looking for, but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. What I do know is if him and Tav are going to play on the same side of the pitch then we'll concede a lot of goals from that area. If I was an opposition manager I would target them all day as defensively he is really weak. Same with Silva & Barisic on the other side, which thankfully we definitely won't see again after the summer.

With the ball, I like the way Ross receives the ball & his weight of pass, but his final ball & decision making are way off as it stands.

Was good in the second half but he played a large part in Dundee's 2 goals. If he is wanting to be a top player in top football, he needs to learn to defend better

Or maybe, just maybe, we get competent defenders and don't have to worry about the right back vacating his position. Then we can let our forward players be forward players.

Quite simply he’s nowhere near good enough to be a Rangers player. Tries hard but that’s not enough
Thats quite the double put down because he himself has shown he can play and contribute and more broadly there are plenty players down the years who perhaps lacked high skill levels but through endeavour and effort, they made a very worthwhile contribution.

Watching that goal again now with the benefit of replay and angle its all the more impressive. Hes pushed off by a guy taller and bigger than him but he comes back and doesnt give up what most of our players would term a lost ball.

He carved that chance, saved it when it was lost then finished it.

It was a super goal from a lad whos got plenty promise.

Raw and in need of coaching but hes got a top coach to deliver that and I think the correct attitude to make further strides.

I don't think he'll ever be what we're looking for, but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. What I do know is if him and Tav are going to play on the same side of the pitch then we'll concede a lot of goals from that area. If I was an opposition manager I would target them all day as defensively he is really weak. Same with Silva & Barisic on the other side, which thankfully we definitely won't see again after the summer.

With the ball, I like the way Ross receives the ball & his weight of pass, but his final ball & decision making are way off as it stands.
It’s his first season in senior football, he’ll hopefully learn and kick on with that under his belt.
He may not be a starter but he can still contribute next season.

First one he was absolutely culpable for. The second not IMO.

He was the only player to react to the short free kick and tried to cover both men, that’s why he wasn’t tight enough to block the cross. If he’d closed down that man, he’d have simply given it back to the free kick taker who himself would have had a free cross. The rest of the team were asleep.
Depends how you view it in terms of the actual critical errors in that opener it was Ridvan then King then probably senior guys not communicating to LK and ye the cross ideally gets stopped . But they don’t always that’s why teams have about 30 of them per game .

No professional coach builds a defensive system on every cross being annulled at source . That is why it is a defensive system .

When he first got a game he was forward thinking and adventurous, he then went safe and was no good, he took the shackles off 2nd half last night and looked decent.

We were a better team when he was playing regularly.

I know his form dipped a bit but the balance he provided to the team, his enthusiasm and the support for tavernier was noticeably missed when he dropped out the team.

100% agree.

Having a natural winger makes a huge difference to the balance of the team.

It’s his first season in senior football, he’ll hopefully learn and kick on with that under his belt.
He may not be a starter but he can still contribute next season.
Absolutely. I think being home grown will help him too as that will be factored in for the European squad. He's not awful, but we need to sign wingers, especially if Sima leaves.

The fight he showed to get his goal was just brilliant
So true . That turned a much pressured HT into an emboldened come on let’s go right at this lot we can do this .

I love the positive posts on these threads and laugh at the others . Posted by folk who really have great standards but little idea imo .

Ross has been getting it in the neck on here the last couple of days.he stood up when more senior players were going into hiding after it went to 2-0 and dragged us back into that game when he scored his goal.also his fantastic sliding tackle was the catalyst for the equaliser and it got the crowd up.
Many of our fans are toxic they shout for young lads to get game time then after a few games the usual abuse on here follows. Ross was excellent last night and deserves to keep his place. Only game time,confidence and experience will make him a better player.

he’s got to do more to stop the ball going into our box at their first goal, had a really good game though

It's definitely odd that after a few years playing Lowland League and B Team friendlies he's not ripping it up, along with the rest of the youth players.....

He will be fine as a 4th/5th choice wide man going into next season and with a year under his belt.

He needs to figure out how he’s going to keep that second half performance as his standards as if he plays like that regularly he’s got a future here.

He plays more often like the first half, he’ll be gone.
Q Gameboy, How many seasons a did it take say Phil Foden to find his level of performance and then establish that as his consistent performance ? Can he play to that level for 90 mins every game now ?

Our drop in form seemed to coincide with him being injured. Not saying he is a world beater btw.

Can't underestimate the impact of Cortes being injured at Kilmarnock.

Without any width or pace we've been awful in forward areas with Dessers being isolated and it's exposed how utterly shite our midfield is.

McCausland showed great attitude yesterday when it was going tits up and the weather was awful. We need that all over the pitch.

Ross has been getting it in the neck on here the last couple of days.he stood up when more senior players were going into hiding after it went to 2-0 and dragged us back into that game when he scored his goal.also his fantastic sliding tackle was the catalyst for the equaliser and it got the crowd up.
He played well, brilliant effort shown. Looking forward to seeing him next season.

One thing he needs to do though is stop grabbing folks shirts. I know other teams players do so also but Ross does it in front of linesman etc and lucky he hasn’t been spoken to about it.

I just don't see it and if he is playing regularly for us next season we are gift wrapping another title to them, no where near the standard required.

Listened to the post match presser on h&h and big Phil’s comments about bringing in the younger players into the first team environment.he has had the likes of Robbie frazer training with the first team since he came in.he made a point that last season young Ross have five training sessions with the first team and that simply will not do.

Q Gameboy, How many seasons a did it take say Phil Foden to find his level of performance and then establish that as his consistent performance ? Can he play to that level for 90 mins every game now ?

This is phil Foden at 16.

The only thing he had to work on was physical development. The talent was clear.

The reason McCausland won’t make it with us is he doesn’t have the raw attributes for it to come together.

He’s 21, not quick, not strong, not got a good final ball and shooting is powderpuff.

The only thing he had to work on was physical development. The talent was clear.

The reason McCausland won’t make it with us is he doesn’t have the raw attributes for it to come together.

He’s 21, not quick, not strong, not got a good final ball and shooting is powderpuff.
It could be said he’s already made it with us.the manager clearly rates him and he is now a first team player.

That's it. I sometime get the feeling that people think he's an U18 player, not just turned 21.

An U18 player I could understand getting the praise that he gets.

There was a reason why he was due to be released this summer before Davis/Clement came in.

He had it from the beginning, as he’s one of them generational talents that just have it. It’s taken this long as Pep(who admitted it himself) has fúcked Foden around.

He doesn’t need to play that level for 90 mins, it’s a squad game these days. We need him and plenty others to be giving us from the start until the 70th min performances that put these jobber teams to the sword and raise it again when against them and in European competitions.

I don't rate him personally. If he was 18 you could see plenty of time for development in terms of his game and physical attributes but he's 21 now and actually got worse rather than better the longer he has been in the team.

Would love to be wrong but I just don't see anything in him to suggest he is good enough to be part of a first team trying to win trophies next season.

Poor 1st half (along with others) and was at fault for the dundee goals, in previous games his tracking back /defensive aid of his game has been lacking.

Was full of energy and much better in the 2nd half though to be fair to him, and the goal just before half time was vital as think we would have struggled 2nd half coming out 2 nil down still.

Can't underestimate the impact of Cortes being injured at Kilmarnock.

Without any width or pace we've been awful in forward areas with Dessers being isolated and it's exposed how utterly shite our midfield is.

McCausland showed great attitude yesterday when it was going tits up and the weather was awful. We need that all over the pitch.

For one so young & inexperienced, i thought wee Ross showed a real Rangers attitude in pushing us forward to win that game in the second half.

Really encouraging mindset that so few seem to have in our player squad.

Listened to the post match presser on h&h and big Phil’s comments about bringing in the younger players into the first team environment.he has had the likes of Robbie frazer training with the first team since he came in.he made a point that last season young Ross have five training sessions with the first team and that simply will not do.
When I heard that, it immediately made me realise that this season, since he took over, is very much just making do until we can get to summer and he can implement bigger changes at the club.

Tonight was his 14th start in the league for us, the way some fans have written him off aready is really disappointing.

We look at Lewis Ferguson and say we should have signed him when we had the chance, but it took him a hell of lot more than 14 SPFL starts to develop into the player he is now so maybe we should give our younger players a chance to develop a bit and see more 2nd half's like tonight from them.
The way some fans have written him off is, well, our fans!

When I heard that, it immediately made me realise that this season, since he took over, is very much just making do until we can get to summer and he can implement bigger changes at the club.
It’s clear to me he’s been doing a lot of the hard work out of sight.none of us had any idea he had integrated a good few of the academy players into the first team training set up.

Would be ideal if we could find that lad a settled position. Injuries have truly f**ked us this season, and a few prior to that.
Is it better to have an unfit Roofe on $35k a week, or three players earning $12k who are fit, hungry and available?

Exactly.

That Aris Limmsol were pretty limited technically, but they had an energy & athleticism, and truly competed due to it.

Hopefully we add that & still have those players that use that base to produce the quality on top.

Exactly.

That Aris Limmsol were pretty limited technically, but they had an energy & athleticism, and truly competed due to it.

Hopefully we add that & still have those players that use that base to produce the quality on top.
Careful, the "Rangers Standard" mob will be after you for that Limassol comment.

Something I noticed last night, but we are a far, far better team when we play with pace and energy. We just seem to not do it for large spells.

Careful, the "Rangers Standard" mob will be after you for that Limassol comment.

Something I noticed last night, but we are a far, far better team when we play with pace and energy. We just seem to not do it for large spells.

Yes, i thoroughly enjoyed that second half because of that. To be fair, the players really looked to be actually enjoying themselves.

Back