Well done Ross McCusland

First half he was utterly abysmal

He nowhere near good enough for us. Not many teams in the bottom 6 would give him a game.

Loan deal beckons
Totally, I think a lot of people think if they say it, it will come true, as if we don’t have eyes and watched him play.

He looked like there might be something there when he first burst on the scene playing in Europe if memory serves me but since then, very little return.

Defo keep around and see if he can develop and prove a lot of us wrong.

No harm to the lad, but I don’t think he will make it with us. Too small and easily bullied, not blessed with lightening pace or skill and doesn’t seem to have a trick to go by a man.

Listened to the post match presser on h&h and big Phil’s comments about bringing in the younger players into the first team environment.he has had the likes of Robbie frazer training with the first team since he came in.he made a point that last season young Ross have five training sessions with the first team and that simply will not do.

Not long after Fraser came on, Silva made a pass for him that looked ridiculously overcooked but then we saw how fast he could run so it was obvious why Silva played the pass like that.

Need more of the best youngsters training with the first team so that they know each others attributes.

Not long after Fraser came on, Silva made a pass for him that looked ridiculously overcooked but then we saw how fast he could run so it was obvious why Silva played the pass like that.

Need more of the best youngsters training with the first team so that they know each others attributes.
That is what the the gaffer is doing,integrating the b team players so they are used to being around the first team.he said also last night the young players who came on had earned there time on the pitch

That is what the the gaffer is doing,integrating the b team players so they are used to being around the first team.he said also last night the young players who came on had earned there time on the pitch

And if there's one reason we need to back him, it's this.

People shouting for him to be sacked and replaced with McInnes are either daft or at it.

See Clement said Ross had trained 5 times with first team last season. That is a total disgrace.

How can a youngster ever be ready for first team football with that kind of preparation. Utterly shambolic.

See Clement said Ross had trained 5 times with first team last season. That is a total disgrace.

How can a youngster ever be ready for first team football with that kind of preparation. Utterly shambolic.
I heard him saying that and he clearly thinks it’s nowhere near good enough.he does appear to have began the process to fix all that.

Does so much work for the team always benefits those around him normally Tav and Cantwell

But is slated by the same fans that want to “ play the kids”

What's the disgrace about that?

Clearly those in charge thought he wasn't good enough for the step up.

not got a strong opinion on the lad either way, but I will say this, for a winger I've very very rarely see him dribble past players
Do you remember the many times your namesake couldn't do it. After a short space of time, he would change over from left to the right wing, which never really came off for him.

Now I'm not saying mcausland is in the same league as Cooper, but if we're not willing to allow young players to develop at Ibrox, then we're in trouble. We're not the richest club in the country anymore, so buying our way out of this isn't happening.

And if there's one reason we need to back him, it's this.

People shouting for him to be sacked and replaced with McInnes are either daft or at it.
My thoughts on this are if people want to go through managers like we are presently doing, we might as well bring in McIness or another Scottish manager. It will save money in the long run.

Do you remember the many times your namesake couldn't do it. After a short space of time, he would change over from left to the right wing, which never really came off for him.

Now I'm not saying mcausland is in the same league as Cooper, but if we're not willing to allow young players to develop at Ibrox, then we're in trouble. We're not the richest club in the country anymore, so buying our way out of this isn't happening.
I just don't think he has the skill set to do it tbh, not saying he can't be effective in an attacking sense and be a good player for us, plus the fact he's no filled out yet also plays a large part, let's see what happens nobody can predict the future

What's the disgrace about that?

Clearly those in charge thought he wasn't good enough for the step up.
What they are getting at is if you genuinely favour making your players yourself then your more promising dev players should be being exposed to the first team squad activities from a young age basically a couple of years before you need them so about 16-18 .

best example right now i guess is Bailey Rice

I just don't think he has the skill set to do it tbh, not saying he can't be effective in an attacking sense and be a good player for us, plus the fact he's no filled out yet also plays a large part, let's see what happens nobody can predict the future
Can't disagree with what your saying, I would just like to give the lad a fair chance. We're far too quick to write off players and I've been guilty of this myself. What comes to mind with me, Gary Stevens and Hateley. I wasn't impressed by either, but Hateley turned a huge corner after the last game against Aberdeen and became part of the best strike partnership with McCoist, I've seen at Ibrox. As for Gary Stevens after his first season, he became one of my favourites. There's plenty more, but that's just 2 examples.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with what your saying, I would just like to give the lad a fair chance. We're far too quick to write off players and I've been guilty of this myself. What comes to mind with me, Gary Stevens and Hately. I wasn't impressed by either, but Hateley turned a huge corner after the last game against Aberdeen and became part of the best strike partnership with McCoist, I've seen at Ibrox. As for Gary Stevens after his first season, he became one of my favourites. There's plenty more, but that's just 2 examples.
David Edgar made a really good point on the daily udate in h&h today about young players breaking into the first team.we have all seen it they come in and everyone thinks they are best thing since sliced bread.they then hit a dip and that is when some make there minds up on a young player.he also said it can’t take up to 18 months for a young player to meet his full potential as he’s learning on the job.if you look at when we were having our best run of results it was when Ross was starting or coming off the bench.the manager clearly sees something in him,hence why he really pushed to get Ross to extend his contract.

Tonight was his 14th start in the league for us, the way some fans have written him off aready is really disappointing.

We look at Lewis Ferguson and say we should have signed him when we had the chance, but it took him a hell of lot more than 14 SPFL starts to develop into the player he is now so maybe we should give our younger players a chance to develop a bit and see more 2nd half's like tonight from them.
I'm not a coach, so I don't know how this works in practice. But to me, we should be able to give more opportunities to young players. A two-goal cushion with 20 minutes to go is a chance to use an attacking midfielder or striker. The greater the cushion, the more scope there is to bring defenders into the mix and use more young subs. Somebody who looks steady can then be given a start in games against weaker SPL teams and Cup games against lower opposition. Build from there.

Part of the recent problem has been the shakiness across our starting 11 makes it difficult to bring in even one young player who may need additional support. There have been too few leaders and consistent performers, and we've had senior players creaking. A knock-on effect of that is too few games being put to bed the way I describe above, so fewer games where you feel emboldened to go with youth. But come on, when you look at some of the lifeless performances more experienced players have brought to the table this season in sub appearances or as starters, you can't help but feel the young players sitting on the bench must have been thinking "I can do better than this" at times.

Or maybe, just maybe, we get competent defenders and don't have to worry about the right back vacating his position. Then we can let our forward players be forward players.
That is not modern football. Defence starts with the forwards.

Thats quite the double put down because he himself has shown he can play and contribute and more broadly there are plenty players down the years who perhaps lacked high skill levels but through endeavour and effort, they made a very worthwhile contribution.

Watching that goal again now with the benefit of replay and angle its all the more impressive. Hes pushed off by a guy taller and bigger than him but he comes back and doesnt give up what most of our players would term a lost ball.

He carved that chance, saved it when it was lost then finished it.

It was a super goal from a lad whos got plenty promise.

Raw and in need of coaching but hes got a top coach to deliver that and I think the correct attitude to make further strides.
Hope you prove me wrong mate but attitude and work rate can only take you so far . As I said in my opinion the boy doesn’t have the quality to be a Rangers player and looks to me totally out his depth. The two other young boys who came on Fraser and McKinnon both looked miles ahead

Careful, the "Rangers Standard" mob will be after you for that Limassol comment.

Something I noticed last night, but we are a far, far better team when we play with pace and energy. We just seem to not do it for large spells.
That has been the case for my entire life.

We were great in 92/93 and less so in the years that followed despite arguably having better players technically. “Give it to Brian” worked but it wasn’t really a great team game.

Even in Walter’s second spell, who remembers that little run when we had Naismith and Novo fit and firing either side of Jelavic? Was the best football we played over those 4.5 years and we were battering teams - the Tyncastle performance is the example that always sticks in my mind. We moved the ball quickly, pressed high. It was a joy to watch.

This isn't meant as a dig at him (although it sounds like it) but if he is starting a significant number of games next season then we will have fucked another transfer window. Right now hes good enough to be in and around the match day squad, with the odd start against lesser sides. We need far better levels in our starting 11 next season.
All that being said I think he can be happy enough with his debut season.

Careful, the "Rangers Standard" mob will be after you for that Limassol comment.

Something I noticed last night, but we are a far, far better team when we play with pace and energy. We just seem to not do it for large spells.
Think that is to do with fitness and stamina. We just aren’t fit enough to play with pace and energy for 90 minutes.

That was Beales worst legacy a team that wasn’t fit enough for the season.

Can't disagree with what your saying, I would just like to give the lad a fair chance. We're far too quick to write off players and I've been guilty of this myself. What comes to mind with me, Gary Stevens and Hateley. I wasn't impressed by either, but Hateley turned a huge corner after the last game against Aberdeen and became part of the best strike partnership with McCoist, I've seen at Ibrox. As for Gary Stevens after his first season, he became one of my favourites. There's plenty more, but that's just 2 examples.
Whats your thoughts on Lammers & Dessers?

Lammers allowed back for another crack next season?

Unfortunately he’s just not good enough. Another player who is getting an easy ride just because he comes from Northern Ireland.
This bull crap gets laid at the door if every player who has played for us who comes from NI.i have even seen it in here about Steven Davis.our support always give a bit of lee way to one of our own who comes through the ranks.young Ross is the least of our problems and quite frankly he stood up when others went into hiding in the first half and included FF’s darling Todd cantwell.

Ross has been getting it in the neck on here the last couple of days.he stood up when more senior players were going into hiding after it went to 2-0 and dragged us back into that game when he scored his goal.also his fantastic sliding tackle was the catalyst for the equaliser and it got the crowd up.
I think we’re a better side when he’s in the team. Should definitely be seen as an adequate squad option but we should still be trying to get a right winger in.

Thought he played a lot more narrow today and it suits him. Sounds like i'm tearing him down when i'm not but i don't think he has the level of pace, dribbling ability or unpredictability to consistently beat fullbacks one v one but he is willing to run into space with the ball and has a good eye for a pass.

He's directly involved in a goal every 232 minutes. For a younger player making the jump from b team to first team i think that's a fairly solid start and hopefully he can continue to develop.
We seem to be in a cycle with new, young players that they come into the team and show some ability and the support shouts from the rooftops about them.. hyping what they are beyond what they’ll actually be in some cases.

Then when they aren’t “new” any more, and opponents have worked out how to slow them down or reduce their effectiveness, the talking down of the player kicks in.

Young players will come in and have patches of doing well, patches of doing badly and it will level out somewhere.
We are all sugar or shite with them and too quick to shout loudly on either end of that.
Players need patience and a bit of time.

Every young player makes mistakes. That's the whole point

It's about how you recover from them. Ross didn't hide and dragged his team back into the game

He then went on to give his all in the second half and cause all sorts of havoc in the opposing box

That is the mentality we want at this club.
People have no idea how long it takes young players to develop, chasing them out the door after 2 minutes and a dozen or so starts.

James Maddison had over 80 first team appearances under his belt when he went on loan to Aberdeen at 20 years old yet here's McCusland with a dozen starts in the league and deemed not good enough.

People have no idea how long it takes young players to develop, chasing them out the door after 2 minutes and a dozen or so starts.

James Maddison had over 80 first team appearances under his belt when he went on loan to Aberdeen at 20 years old yet here's McCusland with a dozen starts in the league and deemed not good enough.

Surely you saw a massive difference in quality with Maddison?

Playing for Aberdeen Maddison got 2 goals and 7 assists in 969 league minutes

McCausland has 2 goals and 4 assists in 1439 league minutes playing as a forward for rangers.

We gave him a new contract so unless we can sell this summer he will be a squad player but we cannot go in to another season with him starting league games.

Unfortunately he’s just not good enough. Another player who is getting an easy ride just because he comes from Northern Ireland.
Never knew that interesting thinking .

Hope you prove me wrong mate but attitude and work rate can only take you so far . As I said in my opinion the boy doesn’t have the quality to be a Rangers player and looks to me totally out his depth. The two other young boys who came on Fraser and McKinnon both looked miles ahead
Wouldn’t it be yourself that proves you wrong Arky , that your expert expertise was in fact not expert in the end . That your crtysal ball was instead a smoke filled one .

Who knows what will happen in the future but we all know if you always say they will fail you will mostly be right because that is what the statistics say.

We seem to be in a cycle with new, young players that they come into the team and show some ability and the support shouts from the rooftops about them.. hyping what they are beyond what they’ll actually be in some cases.

Then when they aren’t “new” any more, and opponents have worked out how to slow them down or reduce their effectiveness, the talking down of the player kicks in.

Young players will come in and have patches of doing well, patches of doing badly and it will level out somewhere.
We are all sugar or shite with them and too quick to shout loudly on either end of that.
Players need patience and a bit of time.
David Edgar on h&h made a point that for a young player that breaks through,it can take a year to 18 months before he really establishes himself in a first team squad.i really don’t think it’s any coincidence that our results began to go downhill when Ross got injured.he’s going to make mistakes but it’s the only way he will learn

Our drop in form seemed to coincide with him being injured. Not saying he is a world beater btw.
It's no coincidence we did so well when it was him playing wide, Tav playing more centrally, and Sima out left. We weren't the most talented side but we looked better balanced and we played to our strengths.

He's far from perfect, but he's clever little player and I'd like to see him push on and become a permanent fixture of the side. We need young kids and Rangers academy products breaking into the side or at least providing some depth.

Every young player makes mistakes. That's the whole point

It's about how you recover from them. Ross didn't hide and dragged his team back into the game

He then went on to give his all in the second half and cause all sorts of havoc in the opposing box

That is the mentality we want at this club.
Some can accuse him of this or that but he never hides.

It's no coincidence we did so well when it was him playing wide, Tav playing more centrally, and Sima out left. We weren't the most talented side but we looked better balanced and we played to our strengths.

He's far from perfect, but he's clever little player and I'd like to see him push on and become a permanent fixture of the side. We need young kids and Rangers academy products breaking into the side or at least providing some depth.
This is it,if we can produce young players who can come in and do a job of an experienced journeyman,it will benefit us enormously as it will free up more money to get players that are certain starters and make a difference between losing and drawing a game to winning one.if those young lads also impress then you will bring in more income through transfer fees for them.

Surely you saw a massive difference in quality with Maddison?

Playing for Aberdeen Maddison got 2 goals and 7 assists in 969 league minutes

McCausland has 2 goals and 4 assists in 1439 league minutes playing as a forward for rangers.

We gave him a new contract so unless we can sell this summer he will be a squad player but we cannot go in to another season with him starting league games.
Don't really see that as a massive difference, and as pointed out Maddison was almost at 100 first team games at that point, Ross has had a fraction of that.

He should absolutely be part of the squad going into next season, he can really kick on from here as he develops.

Never knew that interesting thinking .

Wouldn’t it be yourself that proves you wrong Arky , that your expert expertise was in fact not expert in the end . That your crtysal ball was instead a smoke filled one .

Who knows what will happen in the future but we all know if you always say they will fail you will mostly be right because that is what the statistics say.
No I hope McAusland turns out to have quality which I have yet to see and therefore proves me wrong. Dont quite understand your reference to a crystal ball as my opinion is based on seeing him play.

Totally, I think a lot of people think if they say it, it will come true, as if we don’t have eyes and watched him play.

He looked like there might be something there when he first burst on the scene playing in Europe if memory serves me but since then, very little return.

Defo keep around and see if he can develop and prove a lot of us wrong.

No harm to the lad, but I don’t think he will make it with us. Too small and easily bullied, not blessed with lightening pace or skill and doesn’t seem to have a trick to go by a man.

Aye he'll go the way of that other 5 foot 7 winger, Teo Dessi or whatever he was called.

But to be serious I agree that he needs a loan to develop if he is going to make it with us.

Good post BB. And there is the problem people who actually have no idea want to launch comments as if they do which emphasises that they don’t .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, should’ve started on Saturday and Sterling should’ve been in midfield. Would 100% keep him around for next season.
I'd keep him around, but hopefully it will be bit part, we need another 2 wide players with pace and with a decent goal return.

Back