Well Souttar proved today he could be a great signing for us.

Not for me, a January signing that was made obviously without much input from the current management team.
I want signings that Gio wants, to fit into a system he wants to play.

Gio came in 2 months previously so how the fvck would he have had not much input when we signed him on a pre contract in January.

If he didnt want him, he would have said no.

Mental comment.

He looked sound defensively, not seen enough of him though, can he bring the ball out and start attacks?

I thought he was good, but also think that we will see a massive physical development in the first six months in much the same way as we did with Wright when he joined.

Was surprised at his pace. He cut off Fashion, late in the game, a few times which is no mean feat.
Yeah I liked that a lot . Fashion could clearly out run him in a sprint but he brought his footballing intelligence into play so that it was never going to happen .

Fashion not the brightest in making cute / intelligent runs but I still thought it was a good sign.

I found myself cursing him for tackles and interceptions throughout the game. That's a good sign right there.
Agree, was Hertz best player by far. Good for domestic games but maybe a bit short on quality for a Euro run.

Positioning and no nonsense were good today. Also very careful not to give anything away.

He played really well today and anyone saying different don’t have any football intelligence

Thought he was the best Hearts player on the park. His injury record is the one worry but he gave Hearts his all, a proper professional performance, well done to him.

Every game I saw him playing for Hearts on TV, especially in a 2-1 defeat against Celtic, I thought he would be an excellent signing, on the evidence of today he will be.

Thoughts ?
Hope he is a good signing its just concerning about his injuries He's had but hopefully he will be ok

Reckon he'll drop a stone in pre-season and become a mainstay in our defence.
He needs to shift at least a stone or stone and a quarter to play for us. Looks way too heavy just now. Played well today. Hope he comes in and slots in

Thought Souttar was superb today for Hertz. At one point I felt like he was a one man defence for them. He's got some pace, dominant in the air, decent passer of the ball, positionally good... Has the potential I feel to be a good signing.

Being brutal I was stood thinking this guys a chunkier Edmundson.

Lets wait and see. The change to all Scottish players both physically and mentally when they arrive is massive.
Edmundson is the only player I have seen kick a ball forward only for it to go back over his head

Easily Hearts best player today which given his lack of game time recently gives me a degree of confidence he will be a solid acquisition.

They should have taken the money offered when it was offered. Now they get nothing and he barely played.

He's a very good player, but is also about to embark on a very steep learning curve.

Rangers having a Scotland international as a squad player centre back on a free is decent business. He'll either do the business for us or able to be sold on at profit.

The potential is definitely there but he is not the finished article.
Yes good at blocking shorts, hitting long balls and carrying the ball out of defence.
However, when he is up against a tricky player with pace he’s not quite exact enough to deal with them and that will be needed at European level.

Souttar is a cracking CH. Plays very well in a back 3 also as he drives forward and is good on the ball. He is surprisingly rapid too.

If he stays fit he will be a big player for us IMO

He will need to work on his fitness and I don't just mean his injuries, I mean is overall fitness. He is was blowing out of his arse at full time like all the Hearts players. That will need to be built up because he could potentially play a lot of games.

He's an average centre back with an unremarkable career in Scottish football and as injury prone as they come. I'll be surprised if he's not another Jack Simpson.

Hes always been a superb defender. Staying healthy is whats held him back. Unfortunately with his track record its only a matter of time.

Back