Were you there?

Wasn't born unfortunately. First time they had lost a European game at home so a bit of history made. Must've been some night.

Wasn’t there but was in Turin for the next round.
What a shitehole of a stadium that was.

Studio Communale I think it was at the time.

Went to that one as well, on a supporters bus from Bridgeton. Buses got attacked after the game - and tear-gassed by the Police - then had to come all the way back to Glasgow, through the Alps, with no bloody windows as they had all been smashed by the Italian fans. Wasn’t the best of trips but the second leg at Ibrox was great.:)

Stadio Communale.

Went to that one as well, on a supporters bus from Bridgeton. Buses got attacked after the game - and tear-gassed by the Police - then had to come all the way back to Glasgow, through the Alps, with no bloody windows as they had all been smashed by the Italian fans. Wasn’t the best of trips but the second leg at Ibrox was great.:)

Stadio Communale.
I left with a fleet of five buses from Pollok.
Ripped off by some fucker whose name escapes me.
£55 quid for the bus which was a small fortune back then. Then the fucker ripped us off with the tickets too. I think they were about £15 with a face value of about £1.50.

The fucker went into hiding from some very angry bears.

Was all worth it in the end.
All I remember of the match was big gas meter and Alex Miller playing blinders

Last edited:
I was there.
Went on the lin o Dee bus from Rutherglen with a mate of mine who unfortunately isn't with us anymore.
Great night for Rangers (obviously).
My main memory from that night was missing Robert Russell's goal because I went for a piss.
Sort of heard a muffled roar as I was chatting outside the toilets to a steward guy who although working at the game for PSV wanted us to win for some bizarre reason.

Happy days

Yes, my first away trip on the Hutchietown bus.
Started with an early opening in Tuckers, one of these pubs that had once been part of a tenement block. Some guys appeared that some of our crowd knew from their work. "Didn't know you were going" they were asked, "No, saw it was open and fancied a pint."
Great trip, great result.
Also remember getting home about 6am and there was a bus strike and had to walk 3 miles home.

Yes I was. I was 22. One of our best results in Europe against a team that had never lost at home in European competition. Superb pass from Calimero to Bobby Russell and Boom we were through

This is as old school as it gets. Watched it on TV -the late highlights with absolutely no idea of the score-something that was common back in the day.

Was at a school disco. When word came of the result all the boys left to go home and watch the highlights. Females left dancing with themselves as usual. :))

Yes. Was working in Holland at the time. Visited the Rangers hotel pre-match and spoke with John Greig and Sandy Jardine. Bought tickets
at the stadium for the PSV section but managed to climb into the Rangers
section. Fantastic day/night.

My next door neighbour was there and brought me home a programme. I listened on the wireless. A truly fantastic performance.

That night in Eindhoven, were you in there?

14 years before I was born, but my old man and uncle were both there.

Seen the footage many times and it must've been an incredible night.

My schoolboy recollection is this.

I was in the house with my pal, and we were watching my black-and-white portable telly. The plan was to watch Lesley Anne Down in a TV movie about a stripper, hoping she would go fully nude (spoiler: she didn’t).

My mother’s boyfriend came in from his shift, wanting to see the Rangers highlights. We learned the score, and I thought it seemed worth a watch. No recording in those days.

So my solution was to channel hop between the two, reaching over to switch manually, because the TV had no remote. The idea was not to miss any goals or nudity. Result was my mate was annoyed he was risking missing nipples, and the old fella (he might have been about 40) was annoyed he was risking missing the Gers.

I learned two valuable life lessons that night: you can’t please everyone; and Rangers were the greatest team in Europe. Only one lesson survived the next round.

I left with a fleet of five buses from Pollok.
Ripped off by some fucker whose name escapes me.
£55 quid for the bus which was a small fortune back then. Then the fucker ripped us off with the tickets too. I think they were about £15 notes with a face value of about £1.50.

The fucker went into hiding from some very angry bears.

Was all worth it in the end.
All I remember of the match was big gas meter and Alex Miller playing blinders

Think it may have been a guy called Harry something or other from Corkerhill perhaps?
We went on a Parks bus organised by him that left Ibrox to go to Juventus in the round before, heard lots of complaints about him ripping of folk when we were in Turin.
Went with a Fife bus to Eindhoven, actually sat in the opposite end from the bears that night in amongst the Dutch and soon as the 3rd went in we just upped and walked round the track to the bears to join in the celebrations.
Was back at Eindhoven in 2011 and the changes to the stadium made it unrecognisable from the last time I was there.

Think it may have been a guy called Harry something or other from Corkerhill perhaps?
We went on a Parks bus organised by him that left Ibrox to go to Juventus in the round before, heard lots of complaints about him ripping of folk when we were in Turin.
Went with a Fife bus to Eindhoven, actually sat in the opposite end from the bears that night in amongst the Dutch and soon as the 3rd went in we just upped and walked round the track to the bears to join in the celebrations.
Was back at Eindhoven in 2011 and the changes to the stadium made it unrecognisable from the last time I was there.
That’s definitely the guy.
I had the name Harry in my head and it was definitely Corkerhill.

Just popped over the border from Germany where i was stationed at the time and met up with the guys from the KP bus,fantastic night.

Nope - School Disco :)

Remember when result filtered through doing a very early version of "the bouncy" with all the lads in middle of the floor - lol

We were robbed that campaign :(

You dont get commentators telling you how much the Rangers support are backing their team nowadays!

You dont get commentators telling you how much the Rangers support are backing their team nowadays!
Unfortunately wasnt there..although went to domestic game then. Watched the game on Bbc (highlights only) witthout knowing the score. You cant do that these days with all the social media.
That was se result ..and on the back of beating Juve.
Thought we could win the Cup.

Was that Harry from Cross Travel?

I was there with three friends and about forty others. I think we travelled with Crookston Travel, on a chartered flight to Amsterdam where we stayed the night before, and the night after the game. We enjoyed all the pleasures of Amsterdam ( and for a 22 year old Willem Bear there were many to discover) and on the morning after the match, we stood in the street, in the freezing cold, with a crowd load of fellow bears watching a re run of the match in being played in the window of a TV and Radio shop!
I remember one guy bought a parrot, and tried to smuggle it back in to Glasgow on the way home. He was last seen being led away by Customs Officials at Glasgow Airport, who also had custody of a very noisy cardboard box!
Incidentally, the match itself was a brilliant experience, and I remember a good few of us tumbling into the fenced off moat behind the goal, when the third goal went in! Great memories . . . and if you’re looking in John, John and Pete, thanks for looking after me!
:D:D:D

I was meant to go but other plans got in the way. I spotted my mate on the telly up on the big high netting they had behind the goals back then. :))

Back