We've got money now but what positions do we spend it on?

Hopefully we don't spend much of it, and take account of our youth; for Bassey look to King, for Aribo look to Lowry. For the "model" to work and make sense, then make it work completely. Not against us making signings, but hopefully we don't spend significantly, and certainly not till we find out where we are with CL qualification, and not oblivious to the development of youth either.

So we're going with one injury prone left-back?

He knows piss all.
If we go into the season without buying another Left Back, there’ll be utter carnage on here and rightly so

It would be gross mismanagement

Hopefully we don't spend much of it, and take account of our youth; for Bassey look to King, for Aribo look to Lowry. For the "model" to work and make sense, then make it work completely. Not against us making signings, but hopefully we don't spend significantly, and certainly not till we find out where we are with CL qualification, and not oblivious to the development of youth either.

The model also needs to include winning stuff. Totally agree that we need King and Lowry much more heavily involved. But we also need to make some ambitious moves for players who can take us up a gear now. Waiting for CL qualification didn’t work last year and won’t this year either. We need ro improve to get there and have more than enough money to do so.

Buy another then, as Roofe can't be relied upon due to injuries and Morelos will probably miss games due to international duties (*havnt checked)and who knows when he'll fully recover from the current injury.
If Roofe goes then he’d get replaced.

As it stands, it looks as if it’s Morelos 1st, Colak 2nd and Roofe 3rd

Add Sakala into the mix too, we’re not buying until Sakala or Roofe leave

Buy another then, as Roofe can't be relied upon due to injuries and Morelos will probably miss games due to international duties (*havnt checked)and who knows when he'll fully recover from the current injury.
No chance we are buying a third out and our striker. Someone who can play there like Sakala or Roofe possibly but I we won’t have another out and out. To think so is as crazy as those who believe we’re gonna sign a new first choice goal keeper!

The model also needs to include winning stuff. Totally agree that we need King and Lowry much more heavily involved. But we also need to make some ambitious moves for players who can take us up a gear now. Waiting for CL qualification didn’t work last year and won’t this year either. We need ro improve to get there and have more than enough money to do so.
I was slaughtered on here the other day for objecting to the sale of Bassey, I completely lost the argument; it was explained to me, very well, that we need the money, outwith Europe in order to function- I hadn't had such an amount of posters against my point since the early part of last season when I suggested Lundstram was a far better player than given credit for. I now buy into this, so spending any significant amounts on transfers makes absolutely no sense. If Bassey needed to be sold now, two weeks before a CL qualifier, bearing in mind he was a main player against Dortmund, and The player in the EL Final signifies not only the priority of the model, but the essential need for it. We cannot spend big, and neither can we necessarily keep our best players, and if I've to come to terms with that, then so does every other fan. We have a good enough side, and we have good young players who have at least proved that they have huge potential; winning things is one thing, but we have to juxtapose that with fairly moderate spending compared to income, or else this whole "model" makes absolutely no sense.

I would expect GVB and RW to already have a list of CB/LB that they would want if Calvin Bassey was to leave.

We will go for another striker it's an area we always needed to strengthen our current strikers are not clinical enough.
I'm not including Colak in this assessment as he could be brilliant for us.

Would be madness going into a season with one left back unless we being in a carbon copy of Calvin Bassey (which we won’t).

I’d be looking at a keeper as well.

GK
LB
LCB
Midfielder

1) LB
2)GK
3) left footed cb
4) box to box midfielder

Not really bothered if we don’t get a cm in as there’s already a lot on the books but the other 3 are needs imo.

I was slaughtered on here the other day for objecting to the sale of Bassey, I completely lost the argument; it was explained to me, very well, that we need the money, outwith Europe in order to function- I hadn't had such an amount of posters against my point since the early part of last season when I suggested Lundstram was a far better player than given credit for. I now buy into this, so spending any significant amounts on transfers makes absolutely no sense. If Bassey needed to be sold now, two weeks before a CL qualifier, bearing in mind he was a main player against Dortmund, and The player in the EL Final signifies not only the priority of the model, but the essential need for it. We cannot spend big, and neither can we necessarily keep our best players, and if I've to come to terms with that, then so does every other fan. We have a good enough side, and we have good young players who have at least proved that they have huge potential; winning things is one thing, but we have to juxtapose that with fairly moderate spending compared to income, or else this whole "model" makes absolutely no sense.

I don’t think we do have a good enough side. The fantastic European run distracted from some significant issues last season. We could very well struggle to sustain last season’s levels let alone improve on them, which should be the goal in order to reach the CL (and more money) and win the league (non negotiable).

Spending £10-15M this summer is moderate when you consider income and need.

The model has to enable success, not take precedence over it.

We will go for another striker it's an area we always needed to strengthen our current strikers are not clinical enough.
I'm not including Colak in this assessment as he could be brilliant for us.
At best this striker would be third choice if not fourth. And since there would be virtually no chance he’d make the euro squad because of our quad size, what type of striker do you propose for this?

I don’t think we do have a good enough side. The fantastic European run distracted from some significant issues last season. We could very well struggle to sustain last season’s levels let alone improve on them, which should be the goal in order to reach the CL (and more money) and win the league (non negotiable).

Spending £10-15M this summer is moderate when you consider income and need.

The model has to enable success, not take precedence over it.
We’ve only lost two of that squad and have added 5 players to it. I’m sure there will be a 6th added as a left back so I think that’s pretty good business. Players brought in seem decent pedigree and not project players.

I would spent a solid chunk of Bassey's fee on a keeper. We don't have the quality there and it'll cost us this season if we don't address it.

I guess big hope is the young guy from Munich can replace aribo, aribo absence was a glaring hole yesterday. But it’s a risk. We’ve already committed to players in certain positions. Soutar is a brilliant CH, not sure if he can play on the left however.

We need more power in the team. Borna is a great technical player but is physically a bit weak and confidence player. On his game he is brilliant though.

The biggest unknown is roofe. Great goal scorer when fit but never is. If we are assuming his absence a powerful fast CH and a dominant CF is a must also.

If we invest real money it needs to be on the spine.

It also depends if we can mail Alfie and kent down on contracts, if not they need to be sold unless we are only getting £3-4m.

We’ve only lost two of that squad and have added 5 players to it. I’m sure there will be a 6th added as a left back so I think that’s pretty good business. Players brought in seem decent pedigree and not project players.

We’ve lost two nailed on starters. Two of our best players. Matondo and Tillman are the definition of project players. They could become great for us, I hope they do, but they will need time and patience. Unfair on them to expect more than that.

The others we’ve signed will more likely be back ups to Goldson, Kent and Morelos. Good options I am sure.

We have yet to make a significant signing ready to come in and make a big difference to the XI IMO. We need real quality not numbers. If we aren’t doing that after losing the league and bringing in incredible money, we never will.

Really, have you watched our current strikers in games? we need better quality.
We’ve not had them for months because of injury. But Alfie is coming back, and Colak has been signed for a few million. Add in players like Lawrence, Sakala, Tillman, Roofe who can play there and other place, and only 17 non home grown players slots in Europe and I can’t see who we would get in? A free transfer at the end of his career? A very raw youngster who has the ambition and confidence he can dislodge Alfie? We certainly aren’t spending any decent money on that position.

We’ve not had them for months because of injury. But Alfie is coming back, and Colak has been signed for a few million. Add in players like Lawrence, Sakala, Tillman, Roofe who can play there and other place, and only 17 non home grown players slots in Europe and I can’t see who we would get in? A free transfer at the end of his career? A very raw youngster who has the ambition and confidence he can dislodge Alfie? We certainly aren’t spending any decent money on that position.

We signed Colak for £1.8M, more or less the same as we sold Itten for. It wasn’t a few million. We hardly pushed the boat out.

Definitely room for a good striker, especially if we can move Roofe on. Open to moving Sakala on too.

Morelos needs to be replaced as he doesn't score enough goals domestically, Roofe is also injured and attracting interest from Derby on loan, we need, clinical finishers if we are to kill off games, Colak could work out and I hope he does but too early to tell.
We need a real quality striker we have needed it for two seasons now.

Morelos needs to be replaced as he doesn't score enough goals domestically, Roofe is also injured and attracting interest from Derby on loan, we need, clinical finishers if we are to kill off games, Colak could work out and I hope he does but too early to tell.
We need a real quality striker we have needed it for two seasons now.
I think your on your own with the “Alfie needs replaced” unless he doesn’t sign a new contract. Thankfully I believe the club will have the same view but for those expecting another striker it’s going to be a disappointing summer.

Colak I hope will be the striker to switch it up with Alfie and make the difference. I’m not sure I can see Roofe going to Derby but maybe if he does go we will get a replacement. But if he’s out on loan it’s only likely we would bring in a loan player to replace him.

I think your on your own with the “Alfie needs replaced” unless he doesn’t sign a new contract. Thankfully I believe the club will have the same view but for those expecting another striker it’s going to be a disappointing summer.

Colak I hope will be the striker to switch it up with Alfie and make the difference. I’m not sure I can see Roofe going to Derby but maybe if he does go we will get a replacement. But if he’s out on loan it’s only likely we would bring in a loan player to replace him.
Not on my own at all plenty of Rangers supporters say it, domestically he's an 11-12 a season striker that's not good enough for the chances we create, that's why we need another striker.
we also need a left-back and player who can get goals from midfield.

We want to improve and that means bringing in better players it's not impossible.

Not on my own at all plenty of Rangers supporters say it, domestically he's an 11-12 a season striker that's not good enough for the chances we create, that's why we need another striker.
we also need a left-back and player who can get goals from midfield.

We want to improve and that means bringing in better players it's not impossible.
Many on here, myself included, would not allow Alfie to go for anything under £16m. To get someone in who is instantly better than him would therefore cost more than £16m which we don’t have. We might get someone who CAN be better than Alfie but it would be a gamble.

We definitely need a euro savvie midfielder to pull the strings and cut defences ,either as backup to Davis or first pick,as earlier comment jack and lundstram do the fetching and the dirty stuff.id be happy with that.

I'd buy a decent left back and centre back as back ups to borna and our CDs.

Then spunk the lot on a player who can control games in the Midfield. Knows when to play quick, when to slow it down, when to put someone 6ft up in the air etc.

Many on here, myself included, would not allow Alfie to go for anything under £16m. To get someone in who is instantly better than him would therefore cost more than £16m which we don’t have. We might get someone who CAN be better than Alfie but it would be a gamble.
But you are not the one selling him it's the club. In the last year of his contract, we are unlikely to get 16 million but I hope we do.
It would not cost 16 million to replace Morelos certainly not domestically as he does not score a lot of goals and only has two goals in five years against them.

We’ve been (correctly) arguing Alfie is a £20m players. So basically you are suggesting we get in a £20m striker while we already have one at the club?
A 20 million rated player who we bought for 1 million. I’m suggesting we scout well and lay out, perhaps 3-4 million on a reliable partner for Alfredo.

A left back is priority. Borna can't be the first choice.

If we can move on Roofe then another striker to compete as well.

Left back and goalscoring/creative midfielder.

Even with that I think we’ll miss Aribo so much unless we find someone like Fulgini.

A left back then we will be done until players go, we have simpson, katic, middleton, kelly, helander, roofe and that would free up some money on wages but might be harder for teams to take helander and roofe permanently

Back