What’s the point in the B team?

No point in at the moment.

We need a manager that gives young players a sustained chance. Even as a squad player. Could name at least half a dozen first team players who don’t contribute anything that an academy player wouldn’t be able to.

Also, until they’re in pyramid with an opportunity to be promoted. If it was lowland league only, should still be worthwhile enough for younger players but would still need more challenge for 19/20 year olds.

I don’t understand the point in the B team - generally if we have an injured player we try and play someone from another position in that position.

Surely we should have the B team playing in an identical fashion to the 1st team and we just bring the players in who play in that position when we have an injury ?

If the players are not good enough to do this - get them binned

Guys like Leon King need to move on
To sell b team season tickets

Uefa really need to allow smaller leagues to set up a cross border youth league. Some sort of Atlantic league would be better for developing players than playing Aberdeen again and again
There was an attempt at a tournament with us, the Saviilers, Aberdeen and some English clubs pre Chinese Sniffles.

The B Team playing regular competitive games would probably be a good re-start.

Surely the lack of a reserve league must affect other clubs as well. What is the official reason for not having a proper reserve league?

Like everything else in Scotland lack of cash it's why St Johnstone pulled their team out. Us and the tims pulled out because they felt their was no benefit as clubs were playing the same players they've played through the age groups.

When we were in it you only played each team once. Now it's a 10 team league that play each other once and a league Cup where 2 groups of 5 play each other once and the top team from each group play in the final. The Lowland League whilst not the best standard would still be a better option in terms of playing 34/36 games a season then throw in the Glasgow Cup, those eligible for the U18s, UEFA youth league were we to make the champions league, the Challenge Cup etc. That's at least 50 games a season in a competitive environment unlike what we are doing now.

Said in many threads though until we get away from the dinosaur mentality that exists in Scotland nothing is going to change. Its a shambles we have nothing for them after the U18 league and we wonder why so many players are lost between 17 and 21. You just have to look at teams like Ajax, PSV that we've played in recent times so many of their players have had 2 or 3 years experiences of playing in the Dutch 2nd division at a young age.

The academy needs ripped apart and started again. I think Mccausland is very fortunate to be getting minutes, it doesn't go down well on here that he just isn't very good.
He's in his first season. Unless your an exceptional talent like barry or Billy gilmour your not going to make an instant impact or be amazing every week.

He is a decent squad player which you would expect.

Something we really haven't been good at. I would like to see this happen as I think it will be a lot better for our future ahead. We need to get on top of this.
Definitely. Even if some do get sold, the Patterson money from Everton for example was great.

Could name at least half a dozen first team players who don’t contribute anything that an academy player wouldn’t be able to.
Oh I think you could name a good many more than that.

We faked to utilise played who could have helped cover problem positions rather than shoehorning or picking haf fit players to zero gain.

If McCausland is the best prospect out of the academy, it’s not working.
2 goals in 2 games and not 100% fit. He has a way to go, but needs time as he's a youngster.

Committed and better than some of our so called experienced players

Exactly.

The outcome for anyone from our academy is generally:

a) they may get into the odd matchday squad. Might get a sub appearance in early rounds of League Cup if they are lucky

b) If they are genuinely really good they are getting snapped up by an English club
The problem is there are not many very good ones. Not many have been successful with us but equally few have been successful at other clubs either. This is pretty prevalent throughout the UK in part because it’s often cheaper and easier to get younger more developed players from overseas. Also, the money in football, particularly at the top of leagues, even in Scotland, is so important that playing younger players is a risk many clubs won’t take. This is affecting standards throughout Scottish football. Smaller clubs used to be a breeding ground for young players and the transfer fees helped their development programmes. Not now. Our Cup Winners starting 11 in 1972 were all home bred Scots. I doubt we’ll see an all-Scottish team ever again.

I don’t understand the point in the B team - generally if we have an injured player we try and play someone from another position in that position.

Surely we should have the B team playing in an identical fashion to the 1st team and we just bring the players in who play in that position when we have an injury ?

If the players are not good enough to do this - get them binned

Guys like Leon King need to move on
They've played about 10 games all year and about 3 of them have been competitive

We're run so unbelievably badly

Back