What age to take a kid to first game ?

My kids were all there before they were 7, youngest 2 girls are 9 & 12 now and have had season tickets for a few years. They love away games also & 12 year old is Gold MyGers and has done euro aways. Be prepared for lots of up and down to toilets and kiosks and take phone as a back up but keep at it and they soon get the bug. Try and get seats near an aisle is a good tip

Really depends on the kid. My 5 yo watches more of the game than his big brothers (7 and 9 yo).

They were all 5 when I 1st took them and been no hassle at all.

A family tradition my dad started with me which nearly resulted in his divorce, attend your 1st game before 24 months old.......I managed this 3 out of 4 kids and the last one at 30 months old. Mum was usually on stand-by at halftime in case they did not last. Funnily enough, only the daughters managed 90 mins.
Never really managed all on regular basis due to being overseas however the oldest lad never missed a game with my auld man when home.

I reckon 7 is a good age for it. Agree that the legends game or a friendly in the summer is probably a good shout for a first match as the atmosphere is less intense. Hope she enjoys her first match when she goes

If memory serves me right, I was 3 or 4 when taken to the Athletic’s day back in the early ’50’s and definitely around the age of 5 seated in the Main Stand for a full match. In those days, a ’memorable’ day out was me standing ootside the pub with a ginger beer and a packet of Smiths crisps with the wee blue salt bag inside. Gem!

Seven is a good age to take a kid.
I took my eldest to the Youth Cup Final at Hampden (just along the road from us) when he was 4. He'd been pestering me for ages. Hardly watched any of the game, asking a million questions but loved the lap of honour. Took him to Gough's testimonial about a year later and the big crowd was a bit much for him. He got a fright when we scored and everyone jumped up.
Got him an ST a couple of years after that and he loved it.

Had my 6 yr old grandson at his first game on Saturday and he really enjoyed it. Took my own son to his first game when he was 7 and it was the cup final v,s Airdrie

I'd wait a couple of months til the weather improves a bit because being absolutely baltic is the only thing I remember from a couple of early games I went to!

I took mine when he was 7.

I took his Nintendo DS just in case but it wasn't needed.

He loved the game and asked on the way home if he could get a season ticket.

Reactions: VGM
I would say 7 is about right.

There's nothing more annoying than a bored shitless under 7 sitting behind you, booting lumps out of your seat with an arsehole parent completely ignoring it.

It would appear the seat behind mine is a trial seat for these little shites.

Tell your wife to shut her cake hole for a start.

Family stand has plenty of kids. 7 years old is more than old enough.
Exactlty this .
I was 6 at my first game and it is now a cherished memory of me and my late dad .

Had my wee boy at his first game when he was 3. He didn’t have the attention span for 90 mins but did ok. He’s now 7 and been to 18 games and still not seen us been beat, he’s been to tannadice, dens and fir park and loves the away games. Also had him at the last old firm game totally against his mums wishes but he absolutely loved it.

When would be a good age to take the wee one to her first game? She’s about to turn 7 and has been asking to go for past few months.

The wife is TOTALLY against it, due to language and “songs” (nothing she hasn’t probably heard from me), but thinking if I take her to a B team game or a less high profile home game she should be fine.

Any hints and tips from fellow parents who take young kids to games would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Take her to a decent game.The Thistle one could be a good one to take her to.Its not just the game it's the whole experience.Go for a macdonalds walk up to the ground up the stairs and let her see the pitch and stadium for the first time.It should be a decent game and Thistle will have a decent support which will help the atmosphere.Dont forget to video her reaction:)

Just thought i'd squeeze this in. My niece is 7. Watched Rangers on tv for a few years. Looking for me on tv in the stadium to keep her quiet when her mum was having a nightmare. Then ended up a mascot with shagger at the filth game. :p

She watched youtube vids of Rangers and is obsessed before she was 7.

So, i don't know. :))

I first went at 10 and was hooked instantly.

My son was 7 in November. He has shown no interest in it at all but with the world cup on the TV and playing in the playground he has shown a bit more. All Messi and Ronaldo. Anyway had him at KFC at Ibrox and the leverkusen game and pictures with broxi he loved it. Waved his scarf and was gutted when tav misses the pen which I found hilarious.

So did st Johnstone at the weekend there again and he was fine. Ate his sweets wasn't maybe just as interested as obviously full stadium so he couldn't jump about in the Isle waving his scarf. Still a success though. So Ross County this weekend again. The weather helps massively I think

I was 7 when I first got took to Ibrox and that was 34 years ago. The good thing is I can remember a good bit of it, where if I was took younger then I maybe wouldn’t remember anything about my first game. My son is nearly 4 I haven’t took him yet. I know he wouldn’t sit for Long enough. will probably wait till he’s 6 or 7.

I took my first to hearts away aged two and been going to about 5 games a year ever since. My youngest is now 6 and just went to his first games this season. I would say it’s only once they get 7/8 that it’s great. Before that age they get bored and it can be hard getting through 90 mins

Took the eldest to Scotland v Croatia euro 2021 when he was 9 he watched it clearly bored… then Leipzig where the occasion blew him away. It’s only been since the hibs game in December he’s now actually interested in going to football… now 11.

The youngest, 5, not happening for a while, no interest in football and just moans if I dare put it on the tv, suspect he’s going to be the same as his brother

It depends entirely on your little one and their level of interest. I took my 8 year old along to their first game and after 15 mins asked if she could play on my phone. The second half got a little noisy and we had to leave 20 mins early. You can only give it a bash and see.

When would be a good age to take the wee one to her first game? She’s about to turn 7 and has been asking to go for past few months.

The wife is TOTALLY against it, due to language and “songs” (nothing she hasn’t probably heard from me), but thinking if I take her to a B team game or a less high profile home game she should be fine.

Any hints and tips from fellow parents who take young kids to games would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I took my wee girl to one of the Rangers Woman’s games last season and she enjoyed it. She’d have been 5 at the time. TBH I think she enjoyed the sweets more than anything else but she’s definitely got a wee interest in us now which is fine by me. Not sure when I’d take her to a men’s game right enough, different kettle of fish

Took my wee girl when she was 6 to the Livingston game in the cup we won 2-0 Roofe Morelos.
Took my wee boy when he was 2 this season to queen of south game and both really enjoyed it if they’re asking to go and you think they would enjoy it just go for it!

I took my eldest at 3, my youngest at 4 and my dad took me at 18 months.

My eldest hated it, my youngest loved it and I’m still going 43 and a bit years later.

If they're asking they are old enough.
My uncle took me and my cousin to Clydebank at 5 as a tester and we weren't that bothered. Preferred going swimming on a Saturday.
By the time I was ready 9 or 10 he'd become an armchair fan so i had to wait until.i could go myself, at 12.

I’m toying with the idea of taking my oldest to the Partick game. She’s 5, about to turn 6 and always asks to go, I think more because she feels she’s missing out going somewhere with her Mum and Dad rather than to watch football. She loves Broxi and kicks a ball about but has no real interest in football.

Thanks.
The legends game coming up would be a good 1.
The cup game against thistle too.
Stop letting your wife bully you :))

I took my wee boy a week after he’d turned four and he was excellent, sat the entire game. He’s now just turned seven and has had a season ticket the past couple of seasons. I’m going to go against the grain and say don’t take an iPad/tablet, they need to learn early doors that if it’s pish they need to suffer through it in the same way everyone else does!!

I'm taking my nephew to his first game in April for his b'day, he will be turning 8. Staying over for the weekend so have a fun filled weekend planned for him but the thing he is looking forward to the most is going to see the football and I can't wait to take him. I think he will just fall in love with the game even more seeing Rangers in person and he hasn't shut up about it since I told him on Christmas Day :)

Took my boy to his first football match at 13 months old - his cousin plays at a decent youth level so there's opportunity to see him in certain stadiums locally from time to time. He enjoyed it but attention span was of course the issue.

He will watch the football with me on telly for spells and he's taking in interest in chasing balls around the house now.

Once he is fully mobile, out of nappies and understands the game, as soon as he wants to go , he'll be going along! Will likely start with a cup game 3rd round or preseason friendly etc.

I cant wait to lead the wee man through the turnstile, up the stairs and to get his first glimpse of Ibrox. I still remember mine.

Thanks.

Had my oldest at her first two games this season mate.

Hearts at Ibrox in the Copland Front first one.

Most recently at St Johnstone away, a Saturday night game where half the folk around us were pished with everything that goes with that. Only issue you might have at an away game is being able to see as everyone stands. An older gent and his teenage son swapped tickets with us so we were nearer the front barrier which are it a bit easier.

St Johnstone was her 8th birthday, she was absolutely fine. Funnily enough a lad I used to go up on the bus with (Duncan Ferguson Loyal) when I was still at primary school was a few rows behind us. He was also there with his 8 year old for his first away game. Really was a nice moment :)

I try to get to Ibrox as close to ko as i can. I take his switch and make sure my phones well charged. Its ok if its a game score goals but that doesnt happen a lot lol

Probably the right age mate.
My tip would be to make a memorable day for the kid. Take some sweets, buy her a scarf, drink and snacks. Choice/time of game is important.
Explain beforehand that during the match some fans can lose the plot and have a laugh with her if this happens.
Hope all goes well!

You’re not getting much better advice than this OP.

My daughter had just turned 7 when I first took her and she loved it.

The Partick game is the perfect opportunity I reckon.

Took my daughter to the Spurs friendly in July.

She's 4 and enjoyed it. She was delighted at getting Fanta as that was the first time she'd had fizzy juice and also sat munching on crisps the whole first half.

She got a bit of a fright when we scored as I dont think she was expecting the noise but we laughed about it after.

Lasted till just after half time (TBF it's longer than I sometimes last :oops:) and then she wanted to leave so we went to the shop.

She keeps asking to go back so will probably take her again sometime soon, we are actually going for a tour on Sunday.

My wee boy is 2 and I think I'll take the 2 of them to a friendly this summer!

Took my wee girl to her first game last year when she was 2. She loved all the build up before it but fell asleep during the first half haha! She loved it the second half though and all the boys that sit next to us were brilliant with her. She loves it now and wants to go all the time, had her at the game on Saturday and she had a ball! All depends on the kid I'd say.

Took my son when he was 4 in 2018. We beat Motherwell 7-1. He loved it and we’ve been to a good few since. So far he’s never seen us lose (worst result was the 2-2 with Motherwell last season). Even managed a couple of Europa League nights.

Make it an event (programmes, pie, sweets etc). Don’t worry about the songs, they’ll pick them up in no time.

Thanks.
Took my lad from when he was 3, we first sat in the east enclosure in row B. Was more interested in the crisps and chocolate than the football at the time but it hit him started and he’s still there with me at 18 when work allows him. My daughter fills in as his replacement when he can’t make it.

Took my 2 to their first game on Sunday which was the woman's game kids are 5 and 10. Both of them really enjoyed it the wee man doesn't really sit and watch the game when it's on TV he will always either be kicking a ball about or on his DS. Been wary to take him but he was absolutely fine at the game itself was complaining about being freezing and hungry on 65th minute but managed to stay until the end.

My daughter loved it but she found it too cold as well so was glad to get home but a woman's game or B team would be the best setting for them as it's a lot quieter and not as expensive as Ibrox if you need to chuck it early.

Will try them with a couple more games before deciding whether to take them to a pre-season game in the summer.

I was 7 and had just started to pay a bit of attention to games on TV the previous season so had some interest already instead of being 3/4 and not really caring what was happening.

I was 7 back in 60s and and quite a few in my class were going at that age. My da had bought me a Gers book and strip (non replica) and was eager to go. This reminds me of a game against the p@rkhead team in early 80s in Gov front near them who had whole Broomloan. This guy had wean still in nappies and holding up high pointed to them and shouting something like - thers the scum that's who we hate!!

Depends on your kid. My son goes all over with me and people are usually very nice and engaging and he's 6.

Only way to find out is to do it. (remember to take plenty of pics and make it a big deal)

Thanks a lot for all your replies folks. Definitely some great information and ideas to try with the wee one and definitely make it a big day out for her.

Thanks all.

Back