What are our prospects of qualifying for next seasons CL?

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
Now that our fate is sealed domestically, and it’s confirmed that we will need to go through qualifiers for the CL, what are the qualifiers going to look like for us?

I seen a post a few weeks ago saying we will avoid the likes of PSV, Monaco etc in them due to the changes to the format.

Do we have much of a chance of qualifying?

I think it might be critical for a much needed cash injection, but unfortunately the qualifiers come so late in the transfer window that you need to proceed with uncertainty.

No Psv, Feyenoord, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Lille etc this time around. The highest nation ranked team will be Twente. There will still be some very tough teams in the qualifiers but, on paper, it has never looked easier to qualify.
EDIT:

Feel I need to clarify this somewhat as it's currently misleading.
As things stand if Atalanta win the Europa league but drop to 6th in Italy then Benfica would remain in the playoffs. Let's hope this doesn't happen as Brugge have also moved above us in the rankings and currently sit 2nd in Belgium, a point behind Anderlecht with a game in hand, which would push us down to 3rd and require us to beat either or in order to qualify.

Again, as things currently stand although a few leagues these teams could change, the 2nd qualifying round will see Slavia Prague, RB Salzburg and Fenerbache as the seeded teams vs Partizan Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev and Servette.
3rd qualifying round, when we enter, currently sees the following teams. Benfica, Brugge, Rangers guaranteed as seeded. Assuming all 3 seeds progress Slavia Prague would fill the 4th spot. Unseeded, we would face one of them, would then be Salzburg, Fenerbache, Lille and FC Twente.

We would then likely face either Benfica or Brugge in order to qualify.

I take it all back. It actually looks like a nightmare and the toughest its been since we started back in Europe.

Last edited:
In all honesty, what's the point of qualifying? We're so far out of our depth it's embarrassing and the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park. I'd rather we got the EL and had a decent run in that playing at our level.
Said the same to my dad after the quarter finals of the Champions League. We are so far away from that level, yes the money that we would get is obviously a positive but the effect it would have on the players losing 4/5-0 without reply for 6 games isn't great.

Said the same to my dad after the quarter finals of the Champions League. We are so far away from that level, yes the money that we would get is obviously a positive but the effect it would have on the players losing 4/5-0 without reply for 6 games isn't great.
8 games from next season.

For this reason, Clement needs to sort out the squad ASAP after the final. It should be the end of the road for some , just hope they can win it and go out on a high. Then the gaffer can start the rebuild.
Clement has been in long enough to know whats there and has the advantage of 6 players being out of contract.

The downside is the contracts some are on ranging from 1 year left to 3 .
I maybe wrong , but the summer of 2025 only has Lawrence and Wrights contracts expiring.

No Psv, Feyenoord, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Lille etc this time around. The highest nation ranked team will be Twente. There will still be some very tough teams in the qualifiers but, on paper, it has never looked easier to qualify.
That should be more than achievable. You never know with us though.

With current team/squad we have no chance
Rather silly of you on this one.
Why don’t you keep your disdain for the manager for another thread?
I’m asking because your reasoning is ridiculous.
The chances of us going into next season with the same players, the same squad are unbelievably slim.

Aye very good. Let’s do that and watch as the scum race off into the distance with title after title.
Agreed, as shite as its gonna be we need the money so just need to accept 8 humpings.

The issue for me will be the price of the package. Its gonna be minimum £200 and that is a lot to ask everyone to stump up when we all know we aren't going to compete and there's a good chance the last 2 matches will be glorified friendlies.

Agreed, as shite as its gonna be we need the money so just need to accept 8 humpings.

The issue for me will be the price of the package. Its gonna be minimum £200 and that is a lot to ask everyone to stump up when we all know we aren't going to compete and there's a good chance the last 2 matches will be glorified friendlies.
You’ll not be buying then?

If we qualify (a big if in my opinion) we have to take a much more pragmatic approach. Teams clearly levels above we should be parking the bus. The greatest manager in my lifetime done it often tbh.

We beat a Dortmund team that's better than the one in the champions league final. If we make the group stages with a decent draw I don't think we'd be humiliated like we were last time.

@Spart7

France are in the QR3 has that changed?

Lille would be unseeded based on current teams

In all honesty, what's the point of qualifying? We're so far out of our depth it's embarrassing and the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park. I'd rather we got the EL and had a decent run in that playing at our level.
Money

@Spart7

France are in the QR3 has that changed?

Lille would be unseeded based on current teams

Based on this. If all leagues finished today the 6 teams we could play are

Lille
Twente
Red bull salzberg
Dynamo kyiv
Slavia prague
Fererbache

The bottom 4 are near enough set in stone. Could see nice replace lille and AZ replace twente

Last edited:
I heard that if Dortmund best Madrid we get automatic qualification?, dont know if true though

I believe with Dortmund making the final then provided Scotland stay 11th in the rankings then if we win the league next season we’ll automatically qualify for 25/26

The highest ranked champion based on their club coefficient gets automatic entry. With Dortmund making the final it bumps Germany up to 5 champions league places meaning Dortmund will qualify with their league position

The money.
Then crash out asap and can focus on the league.

The money.
Then crash out asap and can focus on the league.
To quote myself: "the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park."
What's the point in getting whipped and demoralised just to make a little bit more that we'll spend on a couple of average players?

Agree to an extent - but the mega money this year is a game changer in relation to our ability to rebuild the squad, FFP, putting up a challenge to the scum, etc. It’s worth taking a few sore ones for.

Based on this. If all leagues finished today the 6 teams we could play are

Lille
Twente
Red bull salzberg
Dynamo kyiv
Slavia prague
Fererbache

The bottom 4 are near enough set in stone. Could see nice replace lille and AZ replace twente
Yeah i know it can change - couldn't play Salzburg or Slavia Prague in QR3 as both are seeeded like us

It was more to ensure France are still in QR3

Last edited:
To quote myself: "the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park."
What's the point in getting whipped and demoralised just to make a little bit more that we'll spend on a couple of average players?

We don't need to play our best players. The results are irrelevant just take the 40m and use it well.

That's how you win league titles here in the modern day.

New set up means more chance of points to an extent

This is my biggest worry regarding a huge rebuild that’s inevitably needed. We’ll have limited time for them to find a good rhythm before these vital European games and the opposition will be of a very high standard.

It won’t just be a little bit more though. It’s huge sums more, and especially next season with the expanded format being worth even more than usual.

The problem the last time we qualified for the CL is that we had already done all our recruitment and then we stupidly spunked away huge sums of money on bonuses and wage lifts for the current crop of muck as shown in last years shambolic accounts.

Your argument is also based on us going on a decent run in the EL which isn’t guaranteed.

If we want to maximise our income to enable the best recruitment possible, and avoid our next set of accounts being another shambles, then it really is a no brainer.

Back