What are our prospects of qualifying for next seasons CL?

Said the same to my dad after the quarter finals of the Champions League. We are so far away from that level, yes the money that we would get is obviously a positive but the effect it would have on the players losing 4/5-0 without reply for 6 games isn't great.

I get the sentiment but the reality is we need CL or the beasts leave us in the dust financially.

With the new format hopefully we qualify and can sneak a result in a few of the 8 games.v

New set up means more chance of points to an extent
Was going to say this. IF we qualify we play two teams from our own pot 3 and two teams from pot 4. Yes the top two pots are difficult as always to see points but 8 humpings as people say it should not be!

Said the same to my dad after the quarter finals of the Champions League. We are so far away from that level, yes the money that we would get is obviously a positive but the effect it would have on the players losing 4/5-0 without reply for 6 games isn't great.
Unfortunately we are at the stage where we need to qualify not to get the money but to stop them getting all the “Scottish allocated” money and therefore increasing the financial gulf between us. Sad day when you need to qualify for a negative reason.

Based on this. If all leagues finished today the 6 teams we could play are

Lille
Twente
Red bull salzberg
Dynamo kyiv
Slavia prague
Fererbache

The bottom 4 are near enough set in stone. Could see nice replace lille and AZ replace twente
Is this just q3

Will need to wait and see what changes are made and how the squad looks. I'd much rather get the CL money and go out early if it means winning the League. Europa Thursday's at Ibrox especially have been brilliant but I'd swap them for the League.

is the structure of the qualification rounds changing or is it only the group stage (league table) that will be different?

I'm confused, not for the first time might I add, but why is the price of a package in Europe a concern of yours, if you in fact, don't purchase one
Because it just doesn't sit right with me the support being taken for cash cows, for games that everyone is basically acknowledging we have no chance of competing in.

But you're right, financially it won't impact me and each and every ST holder has the choice to make whether to buy them or not.

Is this just q3
If it was based on these teams

Lille
Twente

All 4 teams below are from QR2 of which 2 will proceed to QR3

Fenerbache
Partizan Belgrade
Dynamo Kiev
Lugano

Slavia Prague and Salzburg are unseeded for PO round

Last edited:
That's not going to happen. We will not be going into it, assuming we qualify, with the same players we have now, or with those who did suffer severe gubbings under Gio.

Next season is probably the last season the scum get into the CL, as the only automatic qualification the following season is for us if we win the league. It would be massive qualifying as there would be much less difference in income and then from the season after onwards they won’t really have the chance to run away from us as much financially anymore.

When it comes to both of us needing to get through the qualifiers I think we have a better chance than they would.

Lille
Twente
Red bull salzberg
Dynamo kyiv
Slavia prague
Fererbache

The bottom 4 are near enough set in stone. Could see nice replace lille and AZ replace twente

There's a round before that as well so some of them could be knocked out.

Was going to say this. IF we qualify we play two teams from our own pot 3 and two teams from pot 4. Yes the top two pots are difficult as always to see points but 8 humpings as people say it should not be!

We are likely pot 2 if we qualify

Lille
Twente
Red bull salzberg
Dynamo kyiv
Slavia prague
Fererbache

That doesn't look quite as tough as I thought it would be. Very similar level teams IF our recruitment is spot on in summer...

If it was based on these teams

Lille
Twente

All 4 teams below are from QR2 of which 2 will proceed to QR3

Fenerbache
Partizan Belgrade
Dynamo Kiev
Lugano

Slavia Prague and Salzburg are unseeded for PO round
So is it just one qualification round to negotiate, or is there then a playoff round after?

It’s over to Clement now to build a team that can compete in the CL qualifiers and the league.CL qualification would be massive as we need the cash.GVB managed it so there will be an expectation for Clement to do the same.

We ain't getting a new squad. It never, ever happens no matter how shite we are.
I’m pretty sure the Beale signings from summer transfer window goes a long way to getting a new squad- just a pity most of his new squad were and still are crap - and we are now paying the price because of HIS signing policy

Between 0 and 5%. We need to go through a huge period of rebuilding, focussing on getting CL football in a year or 2. The majority of this team need their contracts ripped up and we don’t have the money this summer to buy an entire new first 11 far less the squad it needs. The only way we get into the CL is if our team for it looks like:

Butland
New player New player New player New player
New player New player New player
New player New player New player

QR3 then Play-off round to get through

But we have fallback of EL League stage if we lose in either of those
That's what I thought. I only asked as I was getting confused by folk saying "that doesn't look too bad" when looking at the QR3 possible opponents, without any thought given to potentially much harder opposition in the Playoff Round!

@Spart7

France are in the QR3 has that changed?

Lille would be unseeded based on current teams

Yeah, that's the confusing part for me. France, as the 5th ranked nation, now appear to gain an extra place and still have a team in the qualifiers if Kassie is correct (which I've little doubt he is as his info is great and very accurate) when the new guidelines just say now auto instead of qualifiers. I notice he has Benfica in there too but as mentioned they will gain an automatic spot due to being the top ranked team. It's all very convoluted and confusing. :)

Yeah, that's the confusing part for me. France, as the 5th ranked nation, now appear to gain an extra place and still have a team in the qualifiers if Kassie is correct (which I've little doubt he is as his info is great and very accurate) when the new guidelines just say now auto instead of qualifiers. I notice he has Benfica in there too but as mentioned they will gain an automatic spot due to being the top ranked team. It's all very convoluted and confusing. :)
Where are seeing that France has gained an extra place as 5th place Nation?

it is certainly as lot harder to keep up with

Doesn't the benfica situation depend on whether the europa league winners qualify via their league position as well?

Currently Atalanta are level in 5th place with Roma in 6th, so they could finish 6th and not qualify through the league and win the EL and qualify via that.

That's what I thought. I only asked as I was getting confused by folk saying "that doesn't look too bad" when looking at the QR3 possible opponents, without any thought given to potentially much harder opposition in the Playoff Round!
It is difficult to say we could play this team or that team while the Leagues been completed but we know a rough idea of who once that is done and how it pans out on a draw sense in the next couple of weeks

Where are seeing that France has gained an extra place as 5th place Nation?

The wording was what was confusing. As of next year the 3rd placed French team get auto qualification instead of qualifiers. I always assumed that was already the case. They 100% don't get 5 places. Based on the wording alone they would now have 3 auto places. As I say it was wierd but implied no more qualifiers for the 5th ranked nation.

Doesn't the benfica situation depend on whether the europa league winners qualify via their league position as well?

Currently Atalanta are level in 5th place with Roma in 6th, so they could finish 6th and not qualify through the league and win the EL and qualify via that.
Correct. Which is why Benfica will still show in qualifying until everything is decided. Italy will have 5 places next season. Atalanta and Roma play each other tonight.

We have players who cant pass 30 yards and players who dont have a first touch.

Even the EL will be out of reach if we dont sort it out.

We beat a Dortmund team that's better than the one in the champions league final. If we make the group stages with a decent draw I don't think we'd be humiliated like we were last time.
Tavernier, Goldson and Wright are the only players contracted to the club next season that played in either of the two games vs Dortmund.

What bearing is that victory in 2022 going to have on how our current squad faces up against the best teams in Europe?

And why exactly do you see that win against Dortmund as evidence we'll hold our own in the Champions League in 2024 when we played in the Champions League in 2022 directly after the Europa final run and we didn't pick up a single point?

The wording was what was confusing. As of next year the 3rd placed French team get auto qualification instead of qualifiers. I always assumed that was already the case. They 100% don't get 5 places. Based on the wording alone they would now have 3 auto places. As I say it was wierd but implied no more qualifiers for the 5th ranked nation.
3rd place of 5th place nation started in the qualifiers but since 2018/19 seasons French 3rd place team has entered the group stage as the EL winner as qualified as CLGS via League

But that changes from next season as 1-3 get League Stage while 4th get QR3 for the 5th placed nation

When the free CL spot runs out I don't expect any Scottish teams to get into the CL from that point, well out with the occasional appearance once in a blue moon.

In all honesty, what's the point of qualifying? We're so far out of our depth it's embarrassing and the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park. I'd rather we got the EL and had a decent run in that playing at our level.
Surprised you’d even need to ask.

We need regular CL football to fund Clement’s revolution. Look what happened at Bruge with 5 consecutive years group stage football…

Tavernier, Goldson and Wright are the only players contracted to the club next season that played in either of the two games vs Dortmund.

What bearing is that victory in 2022 going to have on how our current squad faces up against the best teams in Europe?

And why exactly do you see that win against Dortmund as evidence we'll hold our own in the Champions League in 2024 when we played in the Champions League in 2022 directly after the Europa final run and we didn't pick up a single point?
I think our record in Europe in recent years against teams some of whom have done well in the champions league like Dortmund suggests we could participate in the champions league without being humiliated although I'm aware we were poor the last time we were in the champions league.

Back