What are our prospects of qualifying for next seasons CL?

Do we only have one round to play? And are we guaranteed Europa groups?

To quote myself: "the riches we are promised never amount to anything tangible on the park."
What's the point in getting whipped and demoralised just to make a little bit more that we'll spend on a couple of average players?
Doesn't bother separate entity getting humped as long as they get the money, will do me, just for the money

I think our record in Europe in recent years against teams some of whom have done well in the champions league like Dortmund suggests we could participate in the champions league without being humiliated although I'm aware we were poor the last time we were in the champions league.
Have you failed to grasp what I'm saying?

The European success Rangers had in 2022 was achieved by an almost completely different set of players to the one we have now. Tavernier, Goldson and Wright are the only three players contracted to Rangers next season who played in either game against Dortmund.

The record in Europe you're referring to will have no bearing on how we'd do in 2024. It's like thinking Rangers would beat PSG because we beat them in 2001. Squads change quickly nowadays and we're about to undertake our third squad "rebuild" since the Europa final run.

Have you failed to grasp what I'm saying?

The European success Rangers had in 2022 was achieved by an almost completely different set of players to the one we have now. Tavernier, Goldson and Wright are the only three players contracted to Rangers next season who played in either game against Dortmund.

The record in Europe you're referring to will have no bearing on how we'd do in 2024. It's like thinking Rangers would beat PSG because we beat them in 2001. Squads change quickly nowadays and we're about to undertake our third squad "rebuild" since the Europa final run.
If you think we'd get humiliated that's up to you I personally think if we get a decent draw we'd do alright.

There are so many variables between now and the qualifiers (players in and out, fitness, effectiveness of PC’s pre-season) there’s nothing g to be achieved by being doom and gloom at this stage. It’ll be hard, but let’s keep the heid until August

Just posted this on the other qualifying thread but more appropriate to this one. Atalanta 2 up on Roma. Currently in the final CL place, 3 clear of Roma, 4 of Lazio with a game in hand on both. Good news for us as if they finish in 5th as they are now then Benfica won't be in the qualifiers irrespective of who wins the Europa final and we'd be guaranteed to be one of the top 2 seeds no matter which teams currently vying for qualifying places end up with us. Brugge finishing 2nd in Belgium would be the only way we wouldn't go into them as the top seeds.

Just posted this on the other qualifying thread but more appropriate to this one. Atalanta 2 up on Roma. Currently in the final CL place, 3 clear of Roma, 4 of Lazio with a game in hand on both. Good news for us as if they finish in 5th as they are now then Benfica won't be in the qualifiers irrespective of who wins the Europa final and we'd be guaranteed to be one of the top 2 seeds no matter which teams currently vying for qualifying places end up with us. Brugge finishing 2nd in Belgium would be the only way we wouldn't go into them as the top seeds.
Lille also 2 up away to Nantes and up to 3rd on goal difference (3 goals better off) which means Brest would then be in the qualifiers instead.

Now that our fate is sealed domestically, and it’s confirmed that we will need to go through qualifiers for the CL, what are the qualifiers going to look like for us?

I seen a post a few weeks ago saying we will avoid the likes of PSV, Monaco etc in them due to the changes to the format.

Do we have much of a chance of qualifying?

I think it might be critical for a much needed cash injection, but unfortunately the qualifiers come so late in the transfer window that you need to proceed with uncertainty.
Believe...

No Psv, Feyenoord, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Lille etc this time around. The highest nation ranked team will be Twente. There will still be some very tough teams in the qualifiers but, on paper, it has never looked easier to qualify.
EDIT:

Feel I need to clarify this somewhat as it's currently misleading.
As things stand if Atalanta win the Europa league but drop to 6th in Italy then Benfica would remain in the playoffs. Let's hope this doesn't happen as Brugge have also moved above us in the rankings and currently sit 2nd in Belgium, a point behind Anderlecht with a game in hand, which would push us down to 3rd and require us to beat either or in order to qualify.

Again, as things currently stand although a few leagues these teams could change, the 2nd qualifying round will see Slavia Prague, RB Salzburg and Fenerbache as the seeded teams vs Partizan Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev and Servette.
3rd qualifying round, when we enter, currently sees the following teams. Benfica, Brugge, Rangers guaranteed as seeded. Assuming all 3 seeds progress Slavia Prague would fill the 4th spot. Unseeded, we would face one of them, would then be Salzburg, Fenerbache, Lille and FC Twente.

We would then likely face either Benfica or Brugge in order to qualify.

I take it all back. It actually looks like a nightmare and the toughest its been since we started back in Europe.
Do Celtic have to qualify even as champs

Having lived most of my life within a twenty-minute commute from the FC Twente ground, and most of my friends and family being FC Twente supporters, including my daughter in that, playing FC Twente would be a dream come true for me. I think I will also be guaranteed a ticket. While the market square in Enschede is excellent for pubs and terraces, if you get off the train in Hengelo and walk 10 minutes I can guarantee a pub who would put on a sash bash. The people are FC Twente fans but they have even now Rangers shirts and scarfs hanging on the ceilings and walls. I was in the FC Twente Ultra pub recently and there were guy's walking about with Rangers shirts on. i will say that we shouldn't underestimate FC Twente as they have good players.

Now that our fate is sealed domestically, and it’s confirmed that we will need to go through qualifiers for the CL, what are the qualifiers going to look like for us?

I seen a post a few weeks ago saying we will avoid the likes of PSV, Monaco etc in them due to the changes to the format.

Do we have much of a chance of qualifying?

I think it might be critical for a much needed cash injection, but unfortunately the qualifiers come so late in the transfer window that you need to proceed with uncertainty.
Who cares about the CL! Seriously, we need to forget that glory shit and start from ground zero. A winning league team is more important than anything.

For me I couldn’t care less about Europe we simply MUST win the league next season or we will fall further behind,yes I know the money situ but I think those extra games this season probably took its toll and if I’m being honest there was no way we were reaching the final again,we must totally go out and win the league every other competition is irrelevant,if we can win the league we will kick on

No doubt it will be another absolute mine field. Shit ourselves in the foot once again as I think this year the prize money is going to be around £60 million with the new format

As it stands

Non-Champions Path - Q3
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzburg (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000
Fenerbahçe (TUR)36.000
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)36.000
RSC Anderlecht (BEL)14.500
Twente (NED)12.260

Top 4 are seeded

Non-Champions Path - PO
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzbrug (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000

Based on highest ranked team winning. Top 2 seeded for the PO

As it stands

Non-Champions Path - Q3
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzburg (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000
Fenerbahçe (TUR)36.000
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)36.000
Twente (NED)12.260

Top 4 are seeded

Non-Champions Path - PO
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzbrug (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000

That's wrong. Brest are currently in 4th place in France, not Lille.

I’m as pessimistic as they come but I would expect us to get past all of them with the exception of Kyiv.
I'd take nothing for granted against any of them. Hugely difficult away games in particular.

Clement needs to get it right in the summer and hit the ground running if we are to have any chance.

For me I couldn’t care less about Europe we simply MUST win the league next season or we will fall further behind,yes I know the money situ but I think those extra games this season probably took its toll and if I’m being honest there was no way we were reaching the final again,we must totally go out and win the league every other competition is irrelevant,if we can win the league we will kick on
We need the cash, no cash we then shop for a lesser standard of player.
On the extra games, i've read a few things saying that our form actually dropped when we lost to Benfica, playing Thursday/Sunday there was less time to train etc?

As it stands

Non-Champions Path - Q3
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzburg (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000
Fenerbahçe (TUR)36.000
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)36.000
Twente (NED)12.260

Top 4 are seeded

Non-Champions Path - PO
Rangers (SCO)63.000
Slavia Praha (CZE)53.000
RB Salzbrug (AUT)50.000
Lille (FRA)47.000

As it stands, until Atalanta are confirmed in 5th place in Italy, Benfica are the top seeds as their auto qualifying place is not secured yet. Brest are now 4th in France as Lille's win last night moved them into 3rd. Brugges, above us in the rankings now, are currently 2nd in Belgium, not Anderlecht, although Brugge have a game in hand on them and are only a point behind with far superior goal difference. Their next 2 games will decide the league as they have USG (3 behind Brugge, 4 behind Anderlecht with both to play) at home tonight and are then away to Anderlecht before finishing at home to Cercle Brugge. So, right now, the top 4 seeds would be Benfica, Brugges, us and Slavia (assuming they get past the 2nd qualifying round). We need Benfica out of it and Brugges not to finish 2nd which would bump Red Bull Salzburg and Fenerbache up to seeded assuming they win their second rounds too.

Agreed, as shite as its gonna be we need the money so just need to accept 8 humpings.

The issue for me will be the price of the package. Its gonna be minimum £200 and that is a lot to ask everyone to stump up when we all know we aren't going to compete and there's a good chance the last 2 matches will be glorified friendlies.
It will be like back in Murrays days, we will simply not sell Ibrox out for champions league matches, if the prices are over the top.

As it stands, until Atalanta are confirmed in 5th place in Italy, Benfica are the top seeds as their auto qualifying place is not secured yet. Brest are now 4th in France as Lille's win last night moved them into 3rd. Brugges, above us in the rankings now, are currently 2nd in Belgium, not Anderlecht, although Brugge have a game in hand on them and are only a point behind with far superior goal difference. Their next 2 games will decide the league as they have USG (3 behind Brugge, 4 behind Anderlecht with both to play) at home tonight and are then away to Anderlecht before finishing at home to Cercle Brugge. So, right now, the top 4 seeds would be Benfica, Brugges, us and Slavia (assuming they get past the 2nd qualifying round). We need Benfica out of it and Brugges not to finish 2nd which would bump Red Bull Salzburg and Fenerbache up to seeded assuming they win their second rounds too.
It also reinforces Clement's point re the Belgian system being bonkers. At the end of the regular season USG were well clear. 7 ahead of Anderlecht, 18 ahead of Antwerp and 19 points clear of Brugge. Now, part way through the split system and thanks to the points being halved, they are 3 behind Brugge and 4 behind Anderlecht with 3 to play (Anderlecht only have 2 to play). Brugge are the form team by far. Won their last 5 straight, whilst every other team have had at least 2 losses in their last 5. We could still get any of the 3 in qualifying.

Will we be seeded for QR3 and PO round in CL qualifiers?

Edit - looks like we will be going by list above.

Last edited:
Well, we were 4/6 on to win the SPFL a few weeks back and I'd doubt or CL qualifying odds would be as low as that.

:rolleyes:

When you see the teams listed our chances of getting through next year our chances are much better than last. If we get the right players in early I really don’t see why we can’t make it through this year.

When you see the teams listed our chances of getting through next year our chances are much better than last. If we get the right players in early I really don’t see why we can’t make it through this year.
As our squad stands we have no chance. We also have a history of poor preparation and being undercooked even without having to gel a whole new squad. At our best we would struggle to get past a Fener or Lille. I'd say we are odds against at this moment. Huge job for Phil to get a squad ready.

As our squad stands we have no chance. We also have a history of poor preparation and being undercooked even without having to gel a whole new squad. At our best we would struggle to get past a Fener or Lille. I'd say we are odds against at this moment. Huge job for Phil to get a squad ready.
It’s not really, we will probably look to be bringing in at least 8 players this summer. Cortes and sima hopefully back on loan so they should be ready. A left footed centre back has been linked and seems quite serious in Cordoba.

The squad that is there the now got to the europa last 16, a similar if not better level than the champions league qualifiers.

Our prospects all depend on who goes and who comes in.

We are hopefully going to be losing:

Borna
Roofe
Lundstrum
Jack
Wright
Lammers (Fingers Crossed)
Dessers (Fingers Crossed)
Hagi
Goldson (if saudi rumour is true)
Tav (if saudi rumour is true)
Balogun
Davies (hopefully)
Matondo

Then its all about replacing those players with players who are better and have a better mindset than this crop of losers. A group of players who have no fear of that mob.

Our prospects all depend on who goes and who comes in.

We are hopefully going to be losing:

Borna
Roofe
Lundstrum
Jack
Wright
Lammers (Fingers Crossed)
Dessers (Fingers Crossed)
Hagi
Goldson (if saudi rumour is true)
Tav (if saudi rumour is true)
Balogun
Davies (hopefully)
Matondo

Then its all about replacing those players with players who are better and have a better mindset than this crop of losers. A group of players who have no fear of that mob.
When you look at that list of players it’s either those who haven’t played much part this season whether that be through injury or not being good enough. Then you have a few who have been here a bit to long and need to go.

Update on some of the teams currently in the qualifying places and what could change. I've covered Brugge and Benfica in previous posts. Fenerbahce, like us, can still mathematically win the league but it's all but confirmed they will be second. 6 behind Galatasaray with an inferior gd and play each other this weekend. If Sturm Graz fail to win their last game (drawn their last 3 in the league) and Salzburg win theirs then it would be Graz in the qualifiers instead due to Salzburg's superior gd. Slavia are 4 behind Sparta with 3 to play, they don't face each other in the remaining games. Would take a major collapse for them to not end up 2nd. France could be any of 3 teams, currently Brest but could still be lille as only goal difference seperates them. Cant remember the other team but they need results to significantly go their way so really only between the above 2. I will update on the remaining teams later.

Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev all but confirmed in the qualifiers. 7 off the top, 9 clear of 3rd with a massive goal difference advantage and 2 to play. 3rd place playing their game in hand just now, losing 1 nil. There's one game to go in Holland. Twente are 2 points and 1 goal clear of AZ so need to win away to Zwolle in order to guarantee 3rd place. Switzerland (enter round 2) Lugano have moved up to 2nd with one game to play, 1 point and 1 goal better off than Servette. They also have a game at home vs the bottom side in their split group, Servette are away to the 2nd bottom side. Lugano now look strong favourites to take that spot. Partizan Belgrade are 2 points and 1 goal ahead of Backa Topola going into the last games. They will need to win to ensure qualification as a draw probably won't be enough. Topola are in much better form having won 4 of their last 5 compared to Partizans 1 from 5.

Last edited:
When you look at that list of players it’s either those who haven’t played much part this season whether that be through injury or not being good enough. Then you have a few who have been here a bit to long and need to go.

Sorry I forgot to add Dowell and Lawrence to that list as well.

I would only be looking to keep Danilo, Sima(we won't because they will want 5m plus), Cortes, Diomande, Yilmaz, Souttar and Butland from our current squad. The rest to me are surplus to requirements and not good enough to get us to where we need to go.

I suspect we will keep Dessers, Tav and Goldson. However, the thought of showing up next season at Ibrox and seeing Goldson and Tav in the starting 11 makes me feel uneasy and angry.

No Psv, Feyenoord, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Lille etc this time around. The highest nation ranked team will be Twente. There will still be some very tough teams in the qualifiers but, on paper, it has never looked easier to qualify.
EDIT:

Feel I need to clarify this somewhat as it's currently misleading.
As things stand if Atalanta win the Europa league but drop to 6th in Italy then Benfica would remain in the playoffs. Let's hope this doesn't happen as Brugge have also moved above us in the rankings and currently sit 2nd in Belgium, a point behind Anderlecht with a game in hand, which would push us down to 3rd and require us to beat either or in order to qualify.

Again, as things currently stand although a few leagues these teams could change, the 2nd qualifying round will see Slavia Prague, RB Salzburg and Fenerbache as the seeded teams vs Partizan Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev and Servette.
3rd qualifying round, when we enter, currently sees the following teams. Benfica, Brugge, Rangers guaranteed as seeded. Assuming all 3 seeds progress Slavia Prague would fill the 4th spot. Unseeded, we would face one of them, would then be Salzburg, Fenerbache, Lille and FC Twente.

We would then likely face either Benfica or Brugge in order to qualify.

I take it all back. It actually looks like a nightmare and the toughest its been since we started back in Europe.
That doesn’t fill me with confidence :(

Back