What are our prospects of qualifying for next seasons CL?

As bad as things seem at the moment, we've been more pessimistic going into qualifying campaigns before and still made it through

The route is generally easier than those years. Address key positions in summer and we're always in with a good chance. There's no world beaters in the qualifiers

That doesn’t fill me with confidence :(
Neither Benfica or Brugge are likely to be in there once everything is finalised so it would look a lot better for us as we'd then be top seeds but it will still be difficult, especially with a brand new squad not having played many games together going into it.

Update on some of the teams currently in the qualifying places and what could change. I've covered Brugge and Benfica in previous posts. Fenerbahce, like us, can still mathematically win the league but it's all but confirmed they will be second. 6 behind Galatasaray with an inferior gd and play each other this weekend. If Sturm Graz fail to win their last game (drawn their last 3 in the league) and Salzburg win theirs then it would be Graz in the qualifiers instead due to Salzburg's superior gd. Slavia are 4 behind Sparta with 3 to play, they don't face each other in the remaining games. Would take a major collapse for them to not end up 2nd. France could be any of 3 teams, currently Brest but could still be lille as only goal difference seperates them. Cant remember the other team but they need results to significantly go their way so really only between the above 2. I will update on the remaining teams later.

Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev all but confirmed in the qualifiers. 7 off the top, 9 clear of 3rd with a massive goal difference advantage and 2 to play. 3rd place playing their game in hand just now, losing 1 nil. There's one game to go in Holland. Twente are 2 points and 1 goal clear of AZ so need to win away to Zwolle in order to guarantee 3rd place. Switzerland (enter round 2) Lugano have moved up to 2nd with one game to play, 1 point and 1 goal better off than Servette. They also have a game at home vs the bottom side in their split group, Servette are away to the 2nd bottom side. Lugano now look strong favourites to take that spot.

The other French side in contention is Nice. They play Lille this midweek.

What’s also a pain in the tits about qualifying for the champions league, is recruitment.
Not knowing how much of a transfer budget we will have, nor be able to guarantee the top ballers (that we could attract) guaranteed champions league football.
Kills me that they cnuts are making a fortune off our recent European exploits.

Dynamo Kiev (2nd qualifying round) the first team confirmed in the qualifiers (Benfica were but they are looking less likely to be in it now after Atalanta's win last night) after the 3rd placed team lost 1 nil today. 7 behind 1st, 9 clear of 3rd with 2 to play.

The board is going to have risk spending the money on players to get the CL money rather than wait and see if we get there I have faith with his own players and proper pre season for fitness Clement will do it it’s risk and reward time as if we don’t were fucked

What’s ever in front of us is a big rebuild since Gerrard and a big ask to hit ground running. Feel sometimes we haven’t progressed as much as we would like.

Brugge just drew 2 each with USG to go top on goal difference from Anderlecht with USG 3 behind. All 3 teams can still finish 2nd with 2 to play and Brugge are away to Anderlecht next match.

We'll likely have a totally changed team so difficult to tell.

I think teams tend to grow at that level when the majority are kept together over time. We saw a lot of that ourselves, a squad largely built over a few seasons under Gerrard that improved every year in Europe, culminating in the EL final.

We might sign some good players, get a decent draw and have some joy here, but if we're looking at a completely changed team, it's often tricky to maintain a higher level.

Are we wanting Bayer Leverkusen to win Europa to promote Benfica to group stages and us to top two seeds or is that irrelevant now with Atalanta in the final?

Are we wanting Bayer Leverkusen to win Europa to promote Benfica to group stages and us to top two seeds or is that irrelevant now with Atalanta in the final?
If Atalanta remain 5th, which isn't guaranteed yet, then it won't matter who wins Europa.

They are home to Lecce and away to Torino at which point Roma and Lazio will have completed their seasons. 3 clear of Roma, 4 of Lazio you'd think they would see it out with those games. If not, Atalanta then play Fiorentina in their game in hand on the 2nd of June after both have already played in their respective European finals.

Last edited:
Back