What are the Rangers / Rangers players links to your hometown or town you live that fascinate you?

RWL12

I have been on the Founders Trail previously and was amazed at the little pockets of history dotted around Glasgow.

Places we have walked past without knowing certain players grew up there etc. Or Rangers had a formal dance in that specific hall.

There must be random places we all know and it gives you a shiver when you think certain players grew up here and maybe kicked a ball on this spot.

Sam English was born in a wee place called Blackhill, just outside my home town in county Londonderry. It's one of those wee 'blink and you'd miss it' type places. Im not sure its even sign posted.
I drive past it every day, along with hundreds, maybe thousands of other people, many of whom would be Rangers supporters.
I've no idea how many of them know Sam was born there

Until fairly recently I lived in Whitburn, and always found it interesting that John Greig was technically on Whitburn Juniors books, without ever even visiting apparently!

I know he was only a Gers player for a short while, but in Drumchapel, Andy Gray used to pump my old mans ex-missus, before he hit the big time. :)) I used to think, 'fs Andy how could ye, she's pure bowfin.'

Also Derek Parlane lived just down the road from me in Rhu back in the 70's in a very modest house, just goes to show the difference in wages now/then.

Last edited:
Sam English was born in a wee place called Blackhill, just outside my home town in county Londonderry. It's one of those wee 'blink and you'd miss it' type places. Im not sure its even sign posted.
I drive past it every day, along with hundreds, maybe thousands of other people, many of whom would be Rangers supporters.
I've no idea how many of them know Sam was born there
I certainly didn't.

Hamilton gave us Davie Cooper, Jim Bett, Derek and Barry Ferguson and Stephen Wright. I only put Stephen Wright in there as we went to the same primary school where Bobby Shearers daughter was the football team manager

Grew up in Anderston, used to kick about Kelvingrove park where, I believe, the founding fathers met. Moses McNeil stayed in Berkeley st which was round the corner from where I grew up.

I’m sure there’s other links, I researched it when I was younger but forget them now. Someone who’s been on the founders trail (been meaning to go on it) might know.

Until fairly recently I lived in Whitburn, and always found it interesting that John Greig was technically on Whitburn Juniors books, without ever even visiting apparently!

That was going to be mine. Tenuous link to the Greatest Ever Ranger but I'll take it.

You can't just put that, ie when and where? Did they speak, what was he like?

Just outside Stirling, apparently a great guy showed local kids all his memorabilia and a fair few of the team attended the house warming. Was well liked in the area and is remembered as a gentleman. My grandmother is 94. We are all still in the local area house 1 min up the road

Billy Urquhart was born in my home city of Inverness.

Am pretty sure I was at the Caley v Gers friendly after which he then signed for us.

Being from Helensburgh they're pretty endless but one I discovered recently was that my Grandpa used to go in to Matthew Dickie's snooker hall as a teenager. Apparently knew him very well.

Willie Johnston since he settled in kirkcaldy, spoke to him on the few occasions i was in his bar, unfortunately it's closed now

Met Novo & Big Marv a few times on nights out when they played for Raith

I have been on the Founders Trail previously and was amazed at the little pockets of history dotted around Glasgow.

Places we have walked past without knowing certain players grew up there etc. Or Rangers had a formal dance in that specific hall.

There must be random places we all know and it gives you a shiver when you think certain players grew up here and maybe kicked a ball on this spot.
Jimmy Smith from Slamannan

I live in a place just outside bury where the goalie was born and brought up

Alfie’s a barrel and his brother were from Prestonpans, their grandad was a top top guy and great Bear

William Wilton sadly perished when he fell into the water coming off a boat in bad weather in Cardwell Bay in Gourock.

Ally McCoist the East Kilbride connection, I used to stay in Westwoodhill, and he sometimes used to play for his boys club team, Calderwood, on the red blaize pitches just behind my house. It was probably a few years before I moved there but it was nice to think of McCoist scampering about on the hallowed surface.

I also read somewhere that Alex Ferguson lived in Greenhills, E.K. at one point, never seen it confirmed though.

Also when I lived in Cramond just outside Edinburgh, used to see Neil McCann walking his dog on a Sunday morning, I guess he had a house there.

Billy Urquhart was born in my home city of Inverness.

Am pretty sure I was at the Caley v Gers friendly after which he then signed for us.

I was at that game, he scored an absolute cracking goal against us that day.

Orjan Perrson, Dave Smith, John Brown, Robert Prytz, Fernando Ricksen, Kenny Miller, Ronnie McKinnon, Michael Mols, Dick Advocaat, Andrei Kanchelskis, amongst many others, have lived within a mile of me.

My grandad used to work with Trevor Steven mother. I used to get lots of memorabilia etc off her.

Back