What are things you miss?

Spontaneously going to a game - being at school or work and someone asking if you were going. Saying no and then being talked into it . Not having to get tickets weeks in advance and plan rail tickets , hotels, days off work etc. I took it all for granted back in the day.

So many things flooding back after going through all these.

It's a shame that so many won't experience what we did.

When a goal was scored, I felt like a banner or a flag, right over everyone, ten rows down, sometimes into a different section, standing at a bit outside the ground, preset by your pals in the event it all went to tits and you got separated.

Some of the best days man

Last edited:
Not at Ibrox, but cappielow as a 7yr old with my granda.
Punted over the turnstile,
Hearing my granda swearing like a trooper at missed passes.
Standing outside bars whilst he went for a fly hawf.
Sitting on the railings thinking I had best view.
And laughing at the one guy that used to change ends at half time just so he could take piss out of opposition keeper.

Makes me miss the good auld days, less sterile

The days when you got just a wee bit of appreciation from the Club every season. Like a free European qualifier or long before that both Cup games at Ibrox were part of the Season book price. Now it's just shameless and relentless take, take, take...It's as if we're merely cash machines on legs.

The European Cup - waiting on the draw. If you got a team from France they were all French playing that style. Exactly the same with Italians but now you were getting cynical fouls and near impossible to score. Eastern European as dour as anything barely smiled if they scored. Each country had a unique style all different. Now the top sides are all multi national with no unique approach to football. Goalies back in the day were generally rubbish and ref’s were a bit eccentric.

Two or three ties and you were looking at the final, now you seem to have played for six months and you get to the last 32 of the Europa.

The smell - a mixture of cigarette smoke,whisky, beer, piss, pies and bovril.
Also miss going to different away grounds with their unique, own style stands and terraces, sloped pitches and even the goalpost design.
Now everything is homogenised.

For me it was going away with Rangers in the 70's.

Loved the fantastic atmosphere our fans created.

Loved going to the Shitehole, Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs especially.

I look back at when I started going to Rangers matches with my mates and it was a wonderful time.

Saving your dinner money for the price of the ticket on a Saturday, dogging school to go over and buy tickets.
Getting the train over and getting a few cans and cigarettes, then finding a spot to sit and have those and chat with your mates.
Walking into the Enclosure in our case and the combination of the noise, colour and anticipation of the match.
Starting songs as a teenager and the glory that went with it!
The surge of the crowd - Enclosure was a safe place for that… some of the larger terraces were unquestionably dangerous right enough.
Going back into town and buying the Pink Times, checking the other scores on the TVs in the electrical stores and folk asking you the Rangers score.
Finding that something you had posted into FF had been printed was always a bonus.

Social media ruined some of the magic of football for me.

In a way we're closer to players than ever now, but so far away.

Players used to be approachable, in the sense that they were still sort of on the same level, doing the same stuff, socializing in the same places.

Genuine hatred on the park in Old Firm matches. We hated them, they hated us. Its gotten a bit more spikey recently with Morelos/Kent etc but still not at the level I would like

Sitting up on a Saturday night to watch "The Premiership" or Match of the Day and actually being entertained

This
18,000 to 20,000 bears at the old Rangers end at the chamber of secrets…
18,000 to 20,000 bears at the old Rangers end at the chamber of secrets…
This. The best place in the world to be or the worst. Never happened much for me fortunately but I remember well if they scored at the other end you would see them all bouncing and then a second later you would get a wall of noise. A surreal experience which obviously they must have experienced too.

Special trains full of bears and Kerry oots
Taking over the home end everywhere we went
Being careful peeing into a can opened with the wee opened and complete with jaggy edges

Getting in early to a midweek game and watching the crowd come in - and seeing the lighting up of fags around the ground.

1) When fans on either side of the Rangers/Celtic divide weren’t offended by absolutely everything and tried to get people sacked from jobs

2) 8,000 away allocations at Parkhead before people couldn’t take us being embarrassed on the pitch and campaigned for a smaller allocation. I’d happily have it as 2,500 now though

Miss enjoying a few cans from the offsales on Copland road with the old group of mates i went to the games with then staggering into the East enclosure before it was seated

The away fans being below me in the Broomloan.

I remember the irate look of a sheepshagger covered in brown sauce protesting to a sniggering steward whilst pointing me out the Broomloan Rear.

Don't miss it, however, I remember the half-time scores being put up on boards with letter codes that you had to buy a programme to decipher. Hence the prevalence of wee transistor radios* being held to many punters ears back in the day.

(*I would have used the term tranny as they were often referred to back then but it may confuse the younger members of the forum)

Last edited:
Seen the title and expected Jamie the joiner from the lounge to reply with "my ex from when I was 18...her laugh and her smile"

This may not be missing and still happens but is a nostalgic thing for me.

As a kid sitting at the back of the supporters bus with the other Bear Cubs while my Old Man and his mates wired into their carry out. The songs being sung, usually accompanied by a Bear/s who had brought along their accordion or flutes. The decibels rising as we reached the away destination or going through towns on the way.

The Father & Son gate in the Main Stand, the feeling walking up the stairs, the smell of fags & booze, The half time scores, my dad being at games with me, being allowed to swear at games only :)

There are many, but going to European Cup games hoping that ‘this was going to be our year’. Now, European football is all about accountancy and treading water to stay afloat.

In our Stands in the 60s/70s it was not uncommon to meet the same people - people are creatures of habit. I remember a kid my age who had bucked teeth, watching him as we're both eating a hot pie - wishing I had bucked teeth :eek:

Missing teams going onto pitch, no hand shakes at start, giving it their all for the shirt, tackles flying in and it being left on pitch at final whistle

This
This. The best place in the world to be or the worst. Never happened much for me fortunately but I remember well if they scored at the other end you would see them all bouncing and then a second later you would get a wall of noise. A surreal experience which obviously they must have experienced too.
The only good thing about them scoring at the piggery was 5 minutes after there was loads getting taken out on stretchers with broken legs and ankles. Does anyone remember the head on a wheelchair that used to get wheeled from the jungle round in front of us just before half time.

I miss going into the newsagents and covering their rag with copies of the Rangers News :rolleyes:
I still do that. No Rangers news though, find one of those special edition royal magazines, women's own that kind of thing. Also cover up Celtic cakes in the supermarket.

I'm well into my thirties and married. Get an eye roll every time she spots me doing it. Couldn't care less.

Probably a change in the times this one, but if you were out in Glasgow after a game, chances are you'd bump into the players smoking and drinking, living it up haha.

I get its all for sports science, but players used to be all game, no giving a shit what they ate, drinking most of the week.

Players like Best and Gazza wouldn't make it these days.

Kids being lifted over the turnstiles and the guy with the wheelbarrow and tiles to put up the half-time scores from other matches which the bears used as drum accompaniment in the second half. Also the pre match game of guessing how many blue invalid cars would be lined up on the far side of the pitch.

Back