What constitutes as successful for next season?

The league and the CL group stages would be a phenomenal season to be honest. We tend to do well in the early stages in Europe so it's not impossible.

I'd like to have a day out at Hampden in May as well if I can be greedy!

Retaining the League
Making the CL Group Stage and the knockout round in either competitions thereafter -financially worth it for us

Addressing the Domestic Cup situation - they form part of our successful history
Agreed.

It isn’t a “bonus” to win the cups as some people are saying.

It is a failure not to win every trophy when you’re at Rangers. Gerrard will want to address our failings in the cup competitions.

Winning the league. Good showing in the Champions League. Qualification from the group is unlikely but I'd take that and a last 16 UCL elimination rather than a couple of extra rounds in the Europa League. Because we play in Scotland, if we're doing the above then at least one domestic cup would be highly likely.

Reaching the CL group stage and then retaining the title - the latter not only gives us the bragging rights but it also guarantees another season of CL group stage football in 2022/23. Back to back CL money would be a game changer for us.

Achieving this would lessen the pain of being knocked out of the two domestic cup competitions.

Chelsea lost the FA Cup final to Leicester but none of their fans give a shit about that now because they went on to win the CL.

Also, think back to 2008. Imagine we still had Manchester, still lost to Zenit, but won the title instead of winning the two cups. Wouldn't that have been better?

Bigger picture.

Yep. The £30mil+ from CL groups, plus the impact on our reputation in Europe and attracting better talent would be huge for us right now.

Priorities must be:
1. League
2. CL groups ideally / Europa league groups "minimum"
3. Extended European run beyond Xmas, more likely if we find our way into the Europa post Xmas (e.g. 3rd in CL)
4. Scottish Cup
5. League Cup
Go with that.

I’d actually use the league cup to blood a number of youngsters and give them a taste of the 1st team.

Season worth 10 points.

League is worth 5, Cups 1 each and Euro 3 points.

I reckon we got 6.5 this season- maybe 7.

7 minimum next season.

Win the league and get into the Champions League group stages I’ll be over the moon.

If I can be greedy another invincible season in the league and a domestic treble.

League and champions league qualification

Winning a cup would be great but probably worth less that a draw in the champions league group stages

2 years champions league money would give us a real platform to dominate Scottish football for some time

Title, champions lge group , europa lge group , last 32 europa lge , any home cup ......
In that order of priority

Must be the younger generation of Bears who are saying the Cups don't matter, As it wasn't like that for me growing up, We wouldn't be the most successful Team in the World if we didn't win League and Scottish Cups

We are more than good enough to win The League and a Domestic cup as well as a run in Europe

I am well aware of how important the League is

56 and then either CL group stages or the later stages of the EL. Winning a cup would be nice but in terms of importance they are way down the list

Winning the league, a cup and Europe after Christmas, be that champions league or Europa would be a successful season. Its an improvement on this one

A league title and at least one cup win is what I think should be the minimum aim. A good run in Europe would be welcome.
This exactly, I will be disappointed if we don't make the group stages of CL but league and at least one cup is needed to improve on this season.

For me it will be league and qualifying for the CL would be classed as successful plus making a good try at the cups. However if no champions league football and just EL then I would need league and cups plus making out the group stages of the EL to classify that as a success. This is only because of what the bar was set at last year.

Must be the younger generation of Bears who are saying the Cups don't matter, As it wasn't like that for me growing up, We wouldn't be the most successful Team in the World if we didn't win League and Scottish Cups

We are more than good enough to win The League and a Domestic cup as well as a run in Europe

I am well aware of how important the League is
Its weird no one will be saying that when, hopefully, we do win at least one of the cups. I guess folk are just a bit defensive about Gerrards record as theres no doubt hes done an amazing job overall.

I want a treble real bad and im sure players/management do too.. we spent long enough watching a team that wasnt good enough to even beat the dross in scottish football. St J still annoys me we should have thumped them.

The point above your post about Chelsea does not even make any sense.

Retain the title.
CL groups stages/ last 16 or further in EL.
One of the cups.

Treble would be great.
A quadruple would mean I would wank myself to oblivion.

Smple, win the league. Just as it always has been, anything else is a bonus.

Doubles and trebles are magic, progress in Europe is financially rewarding and it gives us all pride, but the title is the only one that really matters.

Successful?

Winning the league is success.

A cup, or two cups, wouldn't quite cut it for me.

Obviously a double or treble (or quadruple!) is an added bonus.

The league is everything next season. Even more than this season in a lot of ways. Direct access to the CL for the following season is huge for us to allow us to balance the books and improve the squad but keeping them out of the CL and away from that cash is vital.

For next season winning the league is all that really matters. As long as we don’t totally bomb in Europe then that would be enough for me to call the season a “success”.

Ideally we would qualify for the CL groups, at least drop to EL later stages from there and get to the QF, with one domestic cup - but 56 will be enough for me.

Back