What do we need to do differently next week?

Opportunity in or around the box? Hit it first fucking time, stop trying to take extra touches.

Butland start coming off his line to collect crosses like he did first half of the season.

Have possession with the ball and no one around you? keep fucking moving forward with it, don't pass it to someone who is already marked.

Pass direct, with pace, none of this floaty ball pish.

This is what we need to do to win.
Yes, all of this please.

tbh, if we actually DID the above, I have no doubt that we'd win against them.

Dominate the midfield. It’s what’s they’ve been doing to us. It’s that simple. Control the midfield and everything flows from there.

Clement needs to stop messing around and play Sterling in CM again.

Trying to remain optimistic going into next week but don’t think this group of players have it in them to get a result. We know how Celtic are going to start the game. Clement will need to pull off a masterclass with the players available to him.

Clement has to be more pragmatic and separate how he would like to play with the personnel he has available.

We can't afford to be two down by half-time. Get in at 0-0 and ensure we don't concede in the opening 15 minutes and I suspect they'll start to get jittery.

That doesn't mean we sit back but we need to solidify the midfield.

JB

Tav
Balogan
Soutar
Yilmaz

Sterling
Lundstrum
Diomande

Dessers

Any wingers thats no injured.

Play the ball fast and burn the cunts.

Ensure that we don't let them dominate the midfield like previous encounters.

If we can do that, we'll give ourselves a good chance.

We had some joy in playing out in December. Think Yilmaz makes a huge difference, hopefully Davies can help too

They forced us into all kinds of errors in the last game when we tried to play out and on a few occasions we lost possession in dangerous areas.

Similarly against Benfica.

I don’t think our players are good or composed enough to play around a press as intense as theirs. Especially at their ground.

When we play at pace on and off the ball against them they can't handle it!

This whole waiting for a certain player today to take a corner of throw in is torture! thought phil had out an end to that and got us urgently moving forward!

Give cantwell and dio the ball in the gaps and go forward at pace and we will trouble them!

Every man need to work no stop off the ball and not leave the huge gap between striker and midfield for CM to find the space!

The argument to go with someone other than Dessers would be more realistic if there was someone else to go with.

He's it. All we've got as a number 9 until the summer.
He's the scape goat for our season, but he scored, largely contributed to winning the pen and had a few other dangerous bits of play.

Given how off form Dessers has been and that Silva looked better at 9 than he has overall at left wing, there are definitely alternatives to just sticking with Dessers who doesn't seem to be at it right now

We really need to take it to them - I have serious doubt about our ability to go for them though.

Someone suggested earlier that a 352 formation would work and given our limited choices at the back then it must be an option.. and it would give them something to work out. It’s got to be worth a shot as opposed to standing watching them like we so often see.

I agree with shouts to play 3 in midfield and Sterling in there.. The problem then is the lack of reliable options it leaves us to play wide right. So it’s either move DS into midfield and play McCausland, Lawrence or silva wide right - or play Raskin in midfield 3 and keep Sterling wide right. Risk either way.

I wouldn’t drop Cantwell, I’d play him on left. A lot of chat this season about how he can’t play out wide - his best season as a footballer was 19/20, where he played wide left for Norwich. He’s not as good playing wide right.

What we have to do next week is the basics of what we should be doing every week.

Stop leaking stupid goals
Control the midfield
Be clinical up front

It is a simple game which we seem to make hard for ourselves. Oh and remember that the opposition are not just there to make up the numbers waiting for us to impose ourselves on the game.

We need to do 3 things we are normally not capable of

High and fast pressing, and moving it quickly when we have it

A belief

I believe technically we can go and win, if we turn up, but your trusting players who over the years have feared this fixture and who have crumbled at the slightest bit of pressure from them.

It’s a huge ask to trust the players to go and produce something, and I am asking if they actually want the pressure of going there and winning.

It’s a weird feeling, not trusting your own players to actually turn up for an old firm game.

If we do, and we play with an intensity and press, we can win, it’s not down to talent, it’s down to desire and we have to trust this lot to actually have it.

Keep it tight and compact, don't let them play through us.

We need to play Diomande, Lundstram and Sterling in the middle, Sterling can back up Tav on the right side.

I think we need pace on the flanks to test the full backs, but our options are very limited just now.

Up top it needs to be Silva, he is a better first time finisher than Dessers and needs played centrally.

Saturday needs to be a repeat of our 2-3 win in Betis.

If Cantwell plays he needs to be played on the left or right, no central.

In all honesty, we need better players with more technical, tactical and psychological strength.

That's not an option so we need the current lot to play to their best ability, our opponents to perform poorly and the breaks to go our way.

Match their intensity from the first whistle
Don’t concede the usual early goal
Fight for every ball like our life's depended on it
Take our chances
Bring home three points

Keep niggling their full backs, especially Troutface Johnstone. He will lose the plot and start diving in and concede free kicks and a possible penalty. Get someone to discretely leave one on the Japanese Olympic Diving Team of Kyogo and Maeda. Teach Dessers to attack the ball more and shoot quicker.

Butland
Tav Souttar Balogun/Davies Ridvan
Sterling Lundstram Diomande
Lawrence Cantwell
Dessers
We’re in dire need of a change of shape, we don’t have the quality out wide to play the 4231 & it’s having a knock-on affect throughout the team.

Let’s go back to the old Gerrard shape, swarm the middle & win the midfield battle.

I personally prefer, possession-based Pep Guardiola Tiki-Taka football as a style, but sometimes you have to p*ss with the c*ck you’ve got & I’d rather we descended this game into a battle.

Be really tempted to play Gerrard style but I can’t see it happening.

A flatter 3 midfield of Lundstram, Diomande and Sterling.

And a front 3 with narrower wide players/inside forwards. Can take your pick of a few options for the front 3 to compliment Dessers.

Try keep hold of the ball better than we have done. We can’t handle the press , then we resort to playing it long and give possession away and repeat. We need sharp accurate passing and press them hard.

Nearly everyone in agreement with the midfield 3 with lundstram Sterling and dio. Tell lundstram to stay in the middle of the park and stop dropping to hold the centre half’s hands. Win the battle in the middle and stop being over ran in there. Cut out the stupid basic mistakes we always seem to make. And for the love of god tune in at the quick throw ins and free kicks!!!

We need to be brave and push up. We are terrified of them getting in behind us but you’ve got to take chances to get a result there.

Midfield we need an extra man in there and as much as I want Sterling in there having him wide on the right might help Tav not get roasted by Maeda.

Dessers needs to hold the ball up and drag us up the pitch.

He's the scape goat for our season, but he scored, largely contributed to winning the pen and had a few other dangerous bits of play.

Given how off form Dessers has been and that Silva looked better at 9 than he has overall at left wing, there are definitely alternatives to just sticking with Dessers who doesn't seem to be at it right now

Carter-Vickers will have Dessers in his back pocket, especially if we look to go direct. Dessers rarely makes the right move inside the box, more interested in blaming someone else. Davies showed him how to do it yesterday, first to a ball.

At least Silva can take it into feet and get it out his feet. Get him through the middle, get the ball into his feet and support him. He’ll also draw a lot more fouls than Dessers who will just barge into the Celtic defence and flap his arms when the referee awards them a free kick.

Silva has better composure and more controlled aerial. Dessers just heads the ball the way he’s facing.

Celtic will be hoping Dessers starts and we adopt a direct approach.

Trying to remain optimistic going into next week but don’t think this group of players have it in them to get a result. We know how Celtic are going to start the game. Clement will need to pull off a masterclass with the players available to him.
The best the manager can do is to get them motivated and in the right head space for this.

These players need to prove they actually want this more themselves. This is, and always has been what ultimately decides these fixtures.

The filth are no great shakes that much is glaringly obvious, but they're never found wanting when it comes to being ready for us.

Probably been said but score first.

We need to keep them quiet and keep the zero for longer than our usual at that midden.

It's been a major flaw since Gerrard left of chasing them in almost every game putting us under unnecessary pressure.

Time for that too change.

Show them our intent from the first whistle. Hunt them down, press hard and don't shirk anything. Be direct and positive on the ball this isn't one for 20 passes along the back line at the start of the match.

I'd stiffen the midfield up with Sterling Lunny and Dio in a three, Cantwell floating and have Silva and Dessers closer together. If that isn't working Cantwell to move right forward and Silva left. Don't concede the midfield though that's the area that matters

Turn up & be proper fucking men. Do not make stupid errors. Do not allow McGregor space. Get at their weakest links by being all over Taylor, the ball in behind Johnston and playing Dessers on Scales side. Just like any decent Euro side plays v them.

Fantasy land stuff but if we were to win by 2 goals they would be going to Rugby Park under a lot of pressure. That would be our only hope

They would be in a spin and if we score early against Dundee the news coming through would have them in flashbacks. It's possible.....

If we are going to go down we go down fighting...to use that old footballing cliche the team have to leave everything on the pitch from start to finish...I would have the subs ready from the start and if anybody who is in the starting eleven shows they aren't up for it, they get hooked straight away.

Watching Man City the other night that played from the off to win that match by half time. Not allowing Wolves time to build from the back, hassling them continually and that's the mindset I hope to see from us.

I just can't see this lot breaking the mould. They are lambs to the slaughter. This is peak Rangers (this Rangers) team, go there and make a statement, prove us wrong, but they will shitt the bed like they always do.

The CB pairing has minus 2 goals in them, so we need to score 3 to win, with Dessers, Silva and Sterling as our forwards.

Match the midfield 3 of them and we can beat them. It may not be as simple as that but it's where we screw up against them generally, cut off the threat of them from the middle and it's a start.

I don't think this group of players have it in them to win at Parkhead, especially not now. I would love to be proved wrong but I can't see it.

I'm sure they actually stand in the tunnel waiting to run out shiteing themselves. Just want them to turn up with a bit of belief in themselves.

19:00 into this, not a bit of shitebaggery in sight.

We need to be front footed. We simply cannot sit back and allow them tons of un-pressured possession so they can come charging at us time after time.

The last 2-3 games we have made much better starts so we need to continue this.

The other thing for me is avoiding the usual cluster fück at the back during the first 15 minutes. Even though we’d a decent start yesterday we gifted Kilmarnock a goal through horrific defending. I think that’s the last 6 games now where the opposition have been gifted a goal or at least an easy chance through Tav switching off.

Last edited:
Back