What does the new Champions League format mean for Scotland

The more changes they make will mean we must get a decent pool together to get some of the money on offer

For us if we can maintain our European form the be format suits us to at least get the the first knockout round.

If we can maintain our increase or coefficient then it should be a regular occurrence.

Sadly no drop down if we want win a euro trophy every so often we are going need participate in the el and go from there.

McGowan is a terrible excuse for a so called journalist, he just said that Spain are 5th in the coefficient ratings and would now get 3 places in the Champions League instead of 2!

Does the Daily Mail even employ proof readers or sub editors?

I’d like to think we could cobble together enough points for top 24.

McGowan is a terrible excuse for a so called journalist, he just said that Spain are 5th in the coefficient ratings and would now get 3 places in the Champions League instead of 2!

Does the Daily Mail even employ proof readers or sub editors?
Spain aren't even 5th next season actually 2nd and have 4 teams that been based where they ended last season and have dropped to 3rd currently for this season only have Real Madrid still in

Unless I read it wrong

I want Scottish clubs to qualify for the CL on merit by playing games to get there.

The current situation of Celtc being awarded the automatic CL place via corrupt refs cannot continue.
Will be a struggle getting an automatic place back again. Third Euro comp has allowed other nations with stronger diddy teams to accumulate points.

For us if we keep performing well in Europe then we should still automatically qualify if we win the league. We only need to have more points than the other champions who don't automatically qualify and we should skip the qualifiers.

Will be a struggle getting an automatic place back again. Third Euro comp has allowed other nations with stronger diddy teams to accumulate points.

For us if we keep performing well in Europe then we should still automatically qualify if we win the league. We only need to have more points than the other champions who don't automatically qualify and we should skip the qualifiers.

Scotland without an automatic place will be good for Scottish football. We will need to improve to qualify by navigating early rounds. We will have a better chance of doing so than anyone else in the SPFL.

I want Scottish clubs to qualify for the CL on merit by playing games to get there.

The current situation of Celtc being awarded the automatic CL place via corrupt refs cannot continue.
It can and will continue unless Rangers and her support enforce change.

This won’t go down well but Rangers and the the other mob getting 40 odd million when half the teams in our league can’t even afford a transfer fee for a single player is a bit of a joke.

Some of the prize money should filter down to the other teams in the league.

This won’t go down well but Rangers and the the other mob getting 40 odd million when half the teams in our league can’t even afford a transfer fee for a single player is a bit of a joke.

Why?

It’s a business and it’s hard enough to get money as it is.

It’s up to those that run this pub league to market it better get better deals whatever

We aren’t a charity and %^*& giving money to teams that despise us
Maybe I’m being too simplistic or bitter but on the whole I don’t see why interested to hear why

Think the Hamilton guy quoted in the article makes entirely fair points about UEFA funding at youth level.

The new format will be good for Scottish football in the long run providing all clubs start qualifying and getting results every season. You can't expect UEFA to hand millions to the league if the teams aren't adding anything to the competition.

No, we just need to get out and into a competition that suits our revenues and objectives. The quicker the European league situation is sorted the better for us. The gap to smaller Scottish clubs is now too large to bridge.

A better share of the pot for Europa and Conference leagues would help those competitions . The money from those is nowhere near enough. Just greedy at the top table.

Lower leagues want share of euro cash that other clubs have worked hard for and bought players to progress.
Oliver Twist syndrome, damn cheek if you ask me as the authorities should be looking for better sponsors cash of which these no ambition clubs get a share.

"What does the new Champions League format mean for Scotland"
Watching on television only if UEFA sees this through.
There could be 6 German teams in next years if results pan out.

We’re stuck in a sporting limbo.

The finances are great but we’re not going to be truly competitive - a top 24 finish is our ambition. Anything can happen in the subsequent play-offs, I suppose.

When Rangers are not in it I never watch it in my opinion its pish anyways champions league yeah right 4 from this country 3 from that country and so on its all about the money now as i say no Rangers then i am not interested they should call it champions lg and runners up runners up. The european cup was the one knockout all the way this is just mini money lgs .rant over

"What does the new Champions League format mean for Scotland"
Watching on television only if UEFA sees this through.
There could be 6 German teams in next years if results pan out.
There won't be, although there will almost certainly be 5 similar to Italy though due to team coefficients securing 2 of the 4 extra spots. If Bayern win the champions league then Benfica will get the extra spot, unless Sporting absolutely collapse in which case it'd be us assuming we don't win our league, as Bayern have qualified through their league already. The other place will go to whichever French team finish 3rd instead of them having to qualify.

The above relating to us is in relation to the Europa league winners qualifying for CL through their league too, not CL. CL winners mean whichever team in the champions path qualifying with the highest coefficient gets an automatic place instead.

There won't be, although there will almost certainly be 5 similar to Italy though due to team coefficients securing 2 of the 4 extra spots. If Bayern win the champions league then Benfica will get the extra spot, unless Sporting absolutely collapse in which case it'd be us assuming we don't win our league, as Bayern have qualified through their league already. The other place will go to whichever French team finish 3rd instead of them having to qualify.

The above relating to us is in relation to the Europa league winners qualifying for CL through their league too, not CL. CL winners mean whichever team in the champions path qualifying with the highest coefficient gets an automatic place instead.
Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to respond.
I was only quoting (the 6) a throw-away comment during the UCL coverage the other night.

Tbh, I'm not keen to play in a competition that we have absolutely no chance of winning.

This is for the benefit of the elite. When teams in the big leagues especially, would rather bow out of the el for instance and secure their cl place by finishing 3rd or 4th in their own league, that tells us all we need to know.

I enjoyed seeing west ham winning the conference league as it was watching real fans enjoying what the games all about, trophies. Not the clubs bank balance.

Ideally we want Us, them, Hearts Hibs and Aberdeen consistently the top 5 teams and therefore getting into Europe and getting into groups of some sort every season. That's the only way everything gets better, with more money in the league and able to attract better players.

Last edited:
Back