What happened after FT of the Old Firm game?

Discombob

After that show of battle to pull ourselves back from 2 down, we've had nothing but bottle.

I switched the coverage off straight after full time, but read criticisms of the player's "over-celebrating" - did that extend to Clement? Has there been a fallout behind the scenes within the squad or between the players and management team in the aftermath?

I still find it inexplicable to go from that 45 mins to 180 minutes of absolute bleh from our players, like they're going through the motions, and not sure I buy that we've coincidentally hit a fitness brick wall exactly after the Old Firm match.

A serious lack of guile and leadership in the dressing room. Guys who think competing with Celtic rather than beating Celtic is the right standard. Its been said many times on here for a reason that this team lacks proper winners.

I said it last night in the match thread Goldson can go Tav I think is worth hanging on to but we need to bring in a proper personality with a view of them becoming future captain.

Someone in the mould of Bellingham for instance. Obviously we can't afford that level of talent but he has been a leader in every team he has played for despite his young age, and that's down to personality.

Tav is a lead by example type which is great as a senior figure in the dressing room but successful Rangers teams need a proper figurehead who exudes strength.

This narrative that we galloped around the park celebrating like a title victory is just pure and utter shettleston nonsense. We clutched a draw from the jaws of defeat and the players went round the park showing appreciation for the support sticking with them in the game - at the time the result kept us alive in the title race.

Stop believing everything the 19th Century Terrorists spout ffs.

Were it not for that pen that changed the game we were getting horsed in that game. People wanting to win our last 6 games when we had only won 2 out of the previous 7.

Honestly having bottle is part of the problem but the bottom line 90% of the players are simply either not fit enough(and will never be) or not good enough.

It all ended vs motherwell. Goldson caved 1st, tav and lundstrams bottle went a few weeks after.

They are the senior members of our squad and they're meant to be leaders yet its them that bring pressure on us, it's them that slow the game down and its them that fold the minute they're in a position of ascendancy

It's harsh to call them losers but it's more outrageous to insinuate they are winners or have a degree of mental strength

I actually wonder if it would be better if we just caved in entirely for the next few weeks to ensure pressure is ramped up on them and they're forced out. I fear with the league gone they'll kick on and so many will forget about this collapse and start focusing starting afresh next season with the same 3 players

This narrative that we galloped around the park celebrating like a title victory is just pure and utter shettleston nonsense. We clutched a draw from the jaws of defeat and the players went round the park showing appreciation for the support sticking with them in the game - at the time the result kept us alive in the title race.

This is true. The narrative "Rangers celebrated the draw" only serves to stir up the tim players, the equivalent of pinning a newspaper cutting to the dressing room wall.

We'd come back from 2-0 down and scored an equaliser in the 93rd minute to basically, we thought, save the season. The players then showed appreciation to the fans.

People are over thinking it.

What happened at Ross County was down to pressure and panic. We've all seen enough football to recognise it. The underdog team puts themselves in a great position and then inexplicably throws it away.

All Dundee really had to do last night was sit back and let us defeat ourselves.

If you looked at the history of leagues all over the world you would see this story repeated over and over and over again. There's no need to overthink it. We got ourselves into a good position and then we bottled it completely.

This is true. The narrative "Rangers celebrated the draw" only serves to stir up the tim players, the equivalent of pinning a newspaper cutting to the dressing room wall.

We'd come back from 2-0 down and scored an equaliser in the 93rd minute to basically, we thought, save the season. The players then showed appreciation to the fans.

What happened at Ross County was down to pressure and panic. We've all seen enough football to recognise it. The underdog team puts themselves in a great position and then inexplicably throws it away.

All Dundee really had to do last night was sit back and let us defeat ourselves.

If you looked at the history of leagues all over the world you would see this story repeated over and over and over again. There's no need to overthink it. We got ourselves into a good position and then we bottled it completely.
Good post mate. Bang on the money for me.

It started with Motherwell. We hammered Hearts, came from behind to win at Kilmarnock and we were all set. Then we lost to Motherwell and the same frailties in the heads of these players came to the fore once more.

They can't handle it when they become favourites. 5 seasons out of the last 6 they've done this and it has to be in their heads. Even the one season it did come right in the league we blew the two cups, which were both there for the taking with the scum knocked out. We are not a team with a winning mentality.

It all ended vs motherwell. Goldson caved 1st, tav and lundstrams bottle went a few weeks after.

They are the senior members of our squad and they're meant to be leaders yet its them that bring pressure on us, it's them that slow the game down and its them that fold the minute they're in a position of ascendancy

It's harsh to call them losers but it's more outrageous to insinuate they are winners or have a degree of mental strength

I actually wonder if it would be better if we just caved in entirely for the next few weeks to ensure pressure is ramped up on them and they're forced out. I fear with the league gone they'll kick on and so many will forget about this collapse and start focusing starting afresh next season with the same 3 players
The warning signs were there at that game.

Perspectives differed of course but I came away from that game feeling like Motherwell had quite comfortably over ran us in midfield. Of course we were still wasteful as always but I never imagined we would have capitulated in this manner.

We were rubbish in the old firm game and had also lost at home to Motherwell and benfica just before that too.

It partly is the fitness thing but it's been creeping up on us for weeks. Not just after the old firm.
I think this, combined with the ridiculous number of injuries we’ve had and a very weak mentality from key players. I think the manager has probably got his teams wrong but very little to pick from. I hope we’ve got some promising talent in the youths because this could be an ugly few years.

A poster on here asked last night if we would be any worse off right now had GVB stayed on.

I think that we would not be in any worse of a position.

In fact I think that if we had kept GVB he would have had an opportunity to get rid of the guys who were repeatedly letting us down. Some of them may have even left once they saw that the manager was not going to get the sack.

Rotten under Gerrard after 55. GVB comes in and we perform for a few months before collapsing.

Rotten under GVB for a while. Beale comes in and we perform for a few months before collapsing.

Rotten under Beale for a while. Clement comes in and we perform for a few months and now we are collapsing.

I think it was fair enough to not have an overhaul after 55. Players with credit in the bank. The same team basically, actually with some bad luck regarding injuries, went all the way to Seville.

After Seville we needed to really freshen up this squad. Instead we gave them the benefit of the doubt and 2 seasons later we are in deep shit.

Tav, Goldson, Lundstram, Wright need to be gone in the summer. A cup final win against the tims as a nice farewell and then we start over again.

Silva jumped on Matondo’s back that was it , the rest of the players walked round clapping the crowd , absolutely zero celebrations , I can’t be doing with the gutless players either but they didn’t celebrate that draw

Celtic fought themselves out a hole and made it a title race again, we can’t handle title race, exploded! Predicted it, Similar will happen next season unless big changes to the ‘main’ players

I worked for thirty six years and not once did I do a lap of honour at the end of a shift. Clap fans while going up the tunnel. Lap of honour should be a reward for winning a trophy, not three points.
no in this day and age sadly where every c*nt gets a trophy just for participating

now you would get the union bears crying into their frosties if they dont get a wee applaud after the match

For me the rot really set in with the Benfica defeat. That was a very winnable tie we lost to a very soft defensive error. However, we seemed to brush it off as expected, all the talk was of Benfica as a far better team. That's the game when our attitude was seen to be in decline.

The celebrations after the draw with the tims was just another example of the drop in expectations

The players celebrated a draw and so did the Manager. They embarrassed themselves and us.

Souness, Walter Smith, Advocaat, Gerrard etc would never celebrate a draw against Celtic.

Clement citing a moral victory was absolutely nonsense as well.

The over celebrating thing was simply media nonsense. The players enjoyed what was a great rescue but I don't think the celebrations were over the top at all.

So many teams all over the world applaud fans and stuff after the game.

My recollection is were still on the pitch 5 - 10 minutes after the game ended and a swell of players gathered infront of the Govan hugging and clapping. They then did a lap of honour.

It was embarrassing and showed an inferiority complex.

Last edited:
We were rubbish in the old firm game and had also lost at home to Motherwell and benfica just before that too.

It partly is the fitness thing but it's been creeping up on us for weeks. Not just after the old firm.
Pre season under Beale playing one way then switching to Clements style of play.

It’s possible we just ran out of gas

Sense on FF you will get banned

For me the rot really set in with the Benfica defeat. That was a very winnable tie we lost to a very soft defensive error. However, we seemed to brush it off as expected, all the talk was of Benfica as a far better team. That's the game when our attitude was seen to be in decline.

The celebrations after the draw with the tims was just another example of the drop in expectations

The way some fans reacted with glee at losing that game because we could now "focus on the league" still rankles with me. Not only achingly tinpot but also a misunderstanding of how it would affect the players' confidence.

Nobody over celebrated.

We scored a last minute goal in a game we all thought was gone.

You expect light applause?

It's football ffs. Goals are celebrated.

I worked for thirty six years and not once did I do a lap of honour at the end of a shift. Clap fans while going up the tunnel. Lap of honour should be a reward for winning a trophy, not three points.
Did you see the Dundee player that got subbed last night? He nearly done a lap of honour himself it took him that long to leave the pitch :)

Some of our fans are too easily sucked in by what the media says. The same media which was virtually silent when the vermin had "The Ronnie Roar" against East Kilbride for fùck sake.

We did what we’ve done all season.
A lap of thanks to the fans.
There was no “over-celebration”.

The fist pumps walking round the stadium at the e d did not sit right with me. Clapping the fans after a draw yes, fist pumps no.
It's a passionate game mate. From their point of view they saved a defeat against a good side. Wouldn't look too deep into it.

What worries me more is nobody took a grip last night.

Not a single one demanded we won 3 points.

Coming back to get a point there should have been the inspiration for going on to win the title. Somehow that positive had been turned into a massive negative by our team.

We’ve been poor for months, or all season tbh.

Warnock’s first game at Ibrox - beat a poor team and no more.
Ross County at Ibrox - win by x amount of goals to go top - we were just happy to win in the end.
Hibs in the cup - only secured the win after they went down to 9.
Killie away - weren’t scoring until Tav’s free kick.
St Johnstone away - secured the win in the last 10 minutes.

There has been exceptions, but generally it’s been distinctly average at best.

We were absolutely awful in the first half against Celtic.

Back