What is your pre game routine? Train, pubs etc

Head into town about 12ish. Go to Auctioneers for a few beers with mates, watch the afternoon game, discuss team selection, have a general catch up

Leave at back of 2 and get subway over

After game get subway back into town (if the queue is massive jump into louden for a beer or two until it dies down)

Back to auctioneers for the evening match and post match analysis along with a few more pints

Didn't realise how much I missed it until I was typing this. Makes me sad a bit. I think its what therapists call "a breakthrough"

Last Feb we went to Mr Singh’s and I have a wonderful photo in my office now of the table with a mixture of some of my oldest friends since primary school days, some very close friends I’ve made along the way, my son & I.
Given that since Covid we haven’t had a chance to meet up like that then it is a precious memory.
Marvellous. I have been going to the games largely with guys I met 45 years ago. Home, away and Europe. One of the proudest moments of my life was Euro away with my boys. Never thought I would be able to afford it for myself but to take my sons was wonderful. My avatar is a pic from my first Euro away which was Bayern in 1989.
My earliest memories would be getting the bus to town about 11am on Sat mornings and hitting Treasure Island on Jamaica St. Then get a roll and sausage or 3. Standing outside the off licence asking a man (probably an 18 year old LOL) to get us cans of Tennents. Bus to the match or walk over half cut.

A lot depends on weather & transport
I don't mind walking fairly long distances - but avoid it in the pouring rain

I rely on public transport for at least part of the journey - so if that's not running properly - I'll consider taxis

Good weather - good transport - the routine to Ibrox is -
Walk to the bus stop - catch bus to the centre from NE of the city
Pint at the Horseshoe - subway to Ibrox - pint at the Louden & over to the ground

I often have more than these 2 pints but unless I stay at 2 - I won't make it to half time without a piss & I hate missing the game & disturbing others

The way back is much more flexible - & the drinking can begin in earnest - although having to again use public transport - I've sometimes planned that journey on where I can stop off for a piss

Old, bladder-challenged bassa loyal

Going back a couple of years it used to be night shift Friday,sneak away early for the 06.05 out of Euston arriving in the Louden just after opening,wee swally head for the game then back to the Central Station for the 17.40 to head back down south,oh happy days ffs.

Connect iPhone to tv

Hate to say I really don’t miss the grind of the waiting for trains, travelling across the country, queuing to get on Subway and doing it all again after the match. Thank feck for RTV

Always go to games with L/COLNEY BEAR, so it's lift to airport, flight to Glasgow. Breakfast in Glasgow Airport taxi to Neptune club. Watch game, then reverse, but fly back to Heathrow.

Connect iPhone to tv

Hate to say I really don’t miss the grind of the waiting for trains, travelling across the country, queuing to get on Subway and doing it all again after the match. Thank feck for RTV
The actual watching of a football match takes up a small part of the day ironically... I think for many, it is the meeting up with their mates, and enjoying a drink or a chat together that makes the day.

I know that when I moved down south, I missed the going to the match with my friends, that I’d been doing every other weekend for the best part of a decade previously, terribly.
The actual games I could see many of on TV but probably watching myself in the house or a pub.
I missed the banter with my mates side of it.

The missus even found the details of the Chelsea Supporters Club in Swindon for me so I could meet a few folk interested in football :D

Routine used to be: Train at 12.30 then subway to Byres Road for a couple of pints. Subway about 2.35ish and at my seat for teams coming out. Back to Byres Road or Town after game and then 7.00 train home.

My son and I get the train to GLQ high level, then get the subway to the game where we meet my bro-in-law and nephew.

Wonderful memories :)

Up shower, breakfast and check FF and listen to H&H.
Get to pub 11.30 as bus departs for all home games at 13.15.
Arrive at Ibrox and depending on traffic and how much time we have will go to pub along PRW or if we are short of time head to Louden.
Used to prefer the old bus as it brought us straight off M8 at Helen street then park at BP, so we used to just get a carry out and stand round back, was always a good laugh.

Breakfast
Cargo started
Pub for couple
Bus at 12:30 with rest of cargo
Neptune
Match
Neptune
Bus
Pub
Possible divorce

Repeat

If im off we usually go to the go urban hotel for a few pints of st mungo then to the game. If I'm nightshift roll out of bed and go to the game like a burst baw then go to work at night.

6am get up shower dress something to eat
7am head to Elgin
7.30am Bus leaves
8am Forres pick ups
9.am Grantown pick ups
10.30am Dunkeld pick up
12.09 Loudan
2.58pm take my seat
4.50pm Loudan
5.30pm bus
10pm arrive Elgin
Pub
Thats a shift and a half mate. I can remember the times travelling up to Elgin thinking f this every week lol.

Back in the old days when I started going (1989) it was:
9am - Up/breakfast etc
10am - Round to my mate’s to watch video of last weeks game, cup of tea and a few cigarettes
11am - Train to Central, meet another mate at Crosshill
Midday to 3pm - Subway over to Ibrox, buy tickets, get a fee cans and then find a quiet spot to sit and drink, smoke & have a laugh. Get a chippy and then into the game
Subway & train back home after the match and home for 6:30pm or so.

Looking back, I can’t believe our parents wee happy for us to be out for that length of time, bouncing around Ibrox before the game and coming home clearly stinking of smoke and probably booze on occasion.

In later years there was a group of 5 of us and we did a driving rota so it was a case of picking everyone up between midday to 1230 and then went to Napoleons until 2pm before the drive over.

Nowadays I get to a couple of games a season and always take my Rangers daft 10yr old so we come up on the Friday night, stay with friends or in a hotel, go for a walk around Glasgow if it’s a hotel and then over for a lap of Ibrox (he is remarkably interested in stuff like this) then meet friends at the Go Hotel - some of them bring their kids and so the wee guys all mess around/sit on tablets and then over for the game.
Afterwards it is the Go Hotels and then usually out for something to eat with folk.

Last Feb we went to Mr Singh’s and I have a wonderful photo in my office now of the table with a mixture of some of my oldest friends since primary school days, some very close friends I’ve made along the way, my son & I.
Given that since Covid we haven’t had a chance to meet up like that then it is a precious memory.
I mind when I was wee I loved walking round the whole stadium prior to going in

Thats a shift and a half mate. I can remember the times travelling up to Elgin thinking f this every week lol.
Brilliant day out with your mates, sometimes the football was just 60 mins of sobering up! A lot of us are close mates, go out as a group. holidays, Euro games, meals. piss up's etc would not change it for a £m

Brilliant day out with your mates, sometimes the football was just 60 mins of sobering up! A lot of us are close mates, go out as a group. holidays, Euro games, meals. piss up's etc would not change it for a £m
Thats it mate. My liver would pack in before I even got to Perth never mind Ibrox if I tried that now.

If it's a Saturday 3pm.....

Meet in Viceroy back of 11 with mates and family.

La Fiorentina for a bite at 12ish.

Head along to the Grapes for about 2.

Leave Grapes about 2.30 and head to the game.

Back in the Grapes after the game.

Don't normally see the bird (no pics) on a matchday, so usually leave the old team in the Grapes about 8.30-9ish and head up the town, with a couple of mates.

I don't drink, so I've got the car with me, which helps to get about later on.
How come you don’t drink, mate?

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion.

In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
Great to hear its not just me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bus leaves at 08.30, have a few on the 4 hour journey. We either head straight to Ibrox pubs, or stop somewhere en route, KP Louden after the game, cargo on board, leave at 17.45, get back around 22.00hrs.

Lunch in the house then me n ma boy get subway from bridge st to Ibrox into the game then after game just walk home along paisley road west as subway queue normally massive sometimes stop off at chippy or at the quey on way home for a bit of scran

Pint at the station
Train
Town
Possibly a pint in the louden
Game
Louden or doctors
Town
Train
Local

Normal 3pm Saturday
Up, showered, healthy breakfast.
Drive to Preston. 11.40 train to Central, read paper and scoff couple of rolls on route, Subway from St Enoch to Ibrox
Get 17.40 or 18.00hrs train back. Drive home from Preston (30mins), quick dance round the shower, stepping out clobber on and in pub for 9pm until closing time.
If Septic, Sheep, Spoonburners I'll stay over. Drive to hotel in Paisley, meet cousin and mates and get to Ibrox. Swalliethon after the game, some form of takeaway food and generally in bed blootered by 10pm
WATP

Woodside 11am
Train from Falkirk
Auctioneers or Drum and Monkey
Subway
CR3
Louden
A few pints in town
Train
Woodside
Take away
Home for Match of the Day

6:35am train from Morpeth (Northumberland). First beer at 6:36am. Change at Edinburgh. Hide beers from the alcohol polis patrolling on scotrail. Spoons breakfast in Glasgow at about 9:30am. Couple of pints waiting for the pubs to open at 11am. Subway to PRW. Meet mates in the Grapes or the District. Argue over whether we're moving onto the Louden or WRC. Move on about 1pm, stay there until half 2, walk over to Ibrox.

Game.

Back to Louden for a couple.

Subway back into the centre.

Dows for a vodka.

Last train home at 7pm.

Stumble through the front door just before 10pm.

Train in to the city about 12.
Few pints and a bite to eat watching the lunchtime kick off.
Subway to Ibrox
Game
Louden for a couple
Dinner in glasgow
Train home

Miss this routine

How come you don’t drink, mate?

Never have mate.

When I was a pro triathlete it just wasn't an option and I've never really had any desire since.

It certainly doesn't stop me joining in, or enjoying myself and the rest of the lads more than make up for me.

They're all steamers. B-)

Leave house about 5.30 and walk to main road and get picked up by bus
Get to Stena terminal for 7.30 sailing
Bus arrives Glasgow about 12.00 or 12.30,
Go to one of a number of places depending on:- If kids, City centre or Springfield Quays for a feed. If no kids, go to District, or Queen Street Club, or get the subway to Partick and go to one of a few bars, depending on who I am meeting.
Get to Ibrox about 2.45 (assuming 3 o'clock k o)
Get bus at Helen Street straight after game and down to Cairnryan, hoping to get the 7. 30 sailing to Belfast (always a bit nervous as it is rushed. Occasionally we miss it and have to stay in Stranraer for the night).
If all goes well, get home at about 10.30, just in time for Match of the Day and have a drink with Winnie Mandela (my pet name for 'she who must be obeyed'). Sometimes I go to the local club until closing time but I am usually too knackered.

I must be a masochist as I can't wait to get back
My routine has been very similar for many years. I don’t think I’ll ever be fit enough again though after I’ll health in the last 18 months. Think I’ll have have to join the flying club out of Belfast City Airport as soon as I feel up to it.

For a Saturday 3pm Kick off

Head to Wee Jimmies Bar for 11.00

A few pre bus beverages with a few of the members.

On the supporters bus at 11.30

Get off at Glenmavis for an hour or so.

Enjoy the beers, soup, pie and peas aswell as the mental banter.

Back on the bus.

Get off at the blue star club. Usually as we get through the doors, the band plays GSTQ. A few tins of red stripe there.

Go outside, wave a taxi down. Gets in the taxi. Give the driver the usual terrible line of "Parkheed mate".

Get out the taxi at the copland steps and into the ground. Teams out and Penny Arcade blastin as a walk up the Copland Rear steps to my seat.

Back