What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
I’m cannot believe I’m saying this, but I’d keep the big man as a second striker. If we had more potent wide options and goal scorers in other other areas of the pitch we would be league champions. Great attitude, never hides, scored against Celtic, scored in Europe and 16 league goals with zero penalty kicks is a decent season.

Sell for anything half decent, I have a lot of time for him hes a likeable guy and he tries hard but we need to be looking at replacing him and having someone new alongside Danilo going into next season. All that said my gut says he'll be here when the new season starts

I think we would be crazy to offload him for anything less than a ridiculously high fee. For me, his stats, in what has been a frustratingly inconsistent season for the team as a whole, have been good enough to earn him a second season to see what improvements can be made to his game. Good strikers are in short supply and competition for those there are is fierce. Add the fact that there is no guarantee that a new striker would fit in quickly.

I also think the manager will fancy Danilo as our No9 and Dessers as back up.

Could use Roofe wages for other areas of the team

The goal scoring stats for the Scottish Premiership are in the link below.

As you can see, Dessers is the 3rd top scorer in the league without scoring any league penalties. Despite this his goals per minute are better than Shankland and much better than Miovski. So why are some people on here desperate to replace him.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
I’m 100% keeping him and I think Clement does too because he clearly rates him. Aye he’s frustrating but so was Morelos. He’s totally won me over in the last few months. 22 goals and 8 assists after having a poor start is a good return. The lack of goals from midfield and out wide bar Sima is why I think he gets even more stick.

Last edited:
Sell at profit, for the 21 goals he's scored it feels like he's missed or fluffed triple that and then some.

If we want to win a title Dessers can't be our main striker.

Keep. I don't think we are getting enough of a fee to make it worthwhile selling, relative to how many goals he scores.

I'll qualify this by saying I don't want us going into next season with him as no. 1 striker either.

With 22 goals this season, Dessers is far from being the biggest problem in Rangers season.

The lack of goals from midfield has badly affected our ability to take control of matches.
Yes, he would be an even better striker if he could hit a chance first time, or more instinctively, but the volume of goals is something we have been crying out for.

For next season, I want goals against Celtic & I want him to take the single chance he gets in a match.
Work to be done but an absolute keep.

Shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot. Misses easier chances and scored the hard ones.

Works his arse off but always looks clumsy with the ball at his feet. 22 goals however is a very good return and I’ve no idea what we do with him to be honest. But I do like him for some reason.

If we get a good offer I would sell, he's absolutely infuriating if we are being honest.

However what if he scores the winner in the cup final?
a lot of people on here will be raging is what will happen

I like the big man, he just needs to be more clinical because nobody else is doing the job

Keep as a squad player. The guy has the right attitude and has a goal or 2 in him, even if it takes a while for hi to get a shot away. Unless of course we get a decent bid but I wouldn’t be rushing to offload him.

If a few more in the team had his mental strength we'd have won the league. He's also one of the few who has kept doing his job the last couple of months. I can't help but like the big guy.

In saying all that I'd still probably sell if we can get back roughly what we paid.

Sell. Neither him nor Danilo are good enough as a first choice striker, and there's no chance we're selling Danilo in the summer after his injury.

We should at least recoup our expenditure on Dessers after his return this season, and we need every penny we can get to rebuild the squad to the extent its required.

With 22 goals this season, Dessers is far from being the biggest problem in Rangers season.

The lack of goals from midfield has badly affected our ability to take control of matches.
Yes, he would be an even better striker if he could hit a chance first time, or more instinctively, but the volume of goals is something we have been crying out for.

For next season, I want goals against Celtic & I want him to take the single chance he gets in a match.
Work to be done but an absolute keep.
I pretty much agree with you but I'd just like to say that in 4 games against Celtic he has scored once, had another goal chopped off for a "foul" that happened well beforehand and had an assist chopped off for no good reason.

I’ve been far more impressed by Dessers since January than I was with Danilo between August and December.

Danilo’s injury seems to have made him better in fans eyes IMO.
Agreed, Danilo had a terrible period before the injury which people seem to have forgotten.

I'm actually much more worried about him than Dessers. Worst case with Dessers, we'll get a decent fee. If Danilo comes back less effective after a serious injury, that could be a big issue. Hopefully he recovers fully and kicks on but let's not pretend he was brilliant pre-injury.

Voted to sell at a profit - The young boy Bher (sp) that plays up top for Motherwell should be signed , bigger , faster and stronger than Dessers and would be slot more prolific

His age means we probably won’t get our money back if we keep him another season as a second or third striker.

Selling him would make sense.

I must admit though - I like the big man

We need a striker who’s natural inclination is to finish, back up next season or move on.

I pretty much agree with you but I'd just like to say that in 4 games against Celtic he has scored once, had another goal chopped off for a "foul" that happened well beforehand and had an assist chopped off for no good reason.
True - I think the hurdle is to be in a place where he expects to score against Celtic, and they fear him.

If we can get him into that territory then we have a great chance of taking this title off them next year… as long as there is more than just Tavernier chipping in with goals.

Dessers positional sense is excellent. He’s always in the right place at the right time, it’s his stats after that which are a concern. I think he’s 1 in 4/5 conversion on real decent chances.

I was thinking sell him for what he cost and wish him well.

But would he benefit from a full pre season under Clement. Better sharpness. Better understanding. Is Danilo who is a predator a better 1st choice option or could the two of them form a partnership for the majority of domestic games?

He's had a good first season any forward who can score 20 plus goals is worth having in the squad.He was never meant to be our sole striker and toughed it out through the critism.He can be a clusterf#ck with close control and sharpness but we also don't half put in alot of dross into that box as a team.

Sell at any price and free up his wages, which will be high. Scored a greater header any No. 9 would be proud of then goes on to back heel the ball to Silva other than take the shot when he’s in front of goal, bizarre decision making and not what we can afford from our No. 9. I was also told tonight he’s on £42k a week, that can’t be right but he’ll be on a fair bit that can be put to better use!

But would he benefit from a full pre season under Clement. Better sharpness. Better understanding. Is Danilo who is a predator a better 1st choice option or could the two of them form a partnership for the majority of domestic games?
we don't play 2 upfront in any games so unlikely to find out

really don't get why we've never played two strikers against teams that are going to sit 10 men behind the ball, a huge mystery which has went through a decent amount of recent managers

Is keep him as a squad player unless a decent offer came in. He’s not worth letting his contract run down at his age

There is a touch of the Kris Boyd about him.

Can look awkward and cumbersome, misses more chances than he scores, and would likely come up a bit short in terms of what we need to score regularly in Europe and against Celtic.

However, 20+ goals a season, plus assists, is hard to argue with, and there is no guarantee a replacement would match those stats. Rarely injured too.

So I am 50/50 on it. I wouldn’t be in a rush to get rid like many other players, but if we could get a £5m or so bid for him then it would be hard to turn down, especially given his age. That amount could bring in 3 players alone, and we need to bring in plenty this summer.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
This is where I am. We paid decent money and no doubt he's on more than a decent wage. If he was an academy kid, or someone we'd picked up on a Bosman and on a low salary, then yes, squad player. But he's not. If we can get money back and free up wages, we can do better.

All of our players are frustrating but he is scoring! Strikers always miss loads of chances he is going to get even better, some of his hold up and finding a man is really good but he seems to gets judged for misses or making wrong decisions!

Imo he is a Duracell battery gets up dusts himself off and away he goes again, good for him! Keep in my humble opinion!

If he’s willing to be a squad option then I’d be very happy to keep him.

Clearly we’ll need reinforcements up front in the summer, but a guy with 20 odd goals, however people want to diminish it, is going to be an asset to any squad

Sell at any price and free up his wages, which will be high. Scored a greater header any No. 9 would be proud of then goes on to back heel the ball to Silva other than take the shot when he’s in front of goal, bizarre decision making and not what we can afford from our No. 9. I was also told tonight he’s on £42k a week, that can’t be right but he’ll be on a fair bit that can be put to better use!
Sell at any price; so if someone offered £1 would you sell him? I can get my head around people saying he should be sold for a decent amount of dosh but that's just nonsense. Also someone told you tonight he's on £42K per week. What if I told you he was on £10K per week? That's right I made that up same as whoever told you.

Back