What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
He’s had to carry the burden of getting the goals every other striker injured everyone focuses on his misses but he scored crucial goals at big games to win them got to remember this is first season there’s strikers had far worse
Agreed mate. People focus too much on the vast amount of misses.
It's like the titanic Everyone focuses on the iceberg and sinking but people forget about the thousands of miles of pleasurable cruising..

Sell whilst his stats are high.

30 this year, will be on a fair wage. Unlikely to get better.

Don’t make the same mistakes with players eventually leaving on a free.
I like the guy and appreciate his numbers. I have never taken part in the pile on, and as ungainly as his play can be, his numbers stand up.

But i think your post is fair, and does bring up a good point re his age.

At a break even point, or close to it, he is someone who could be moved on or probably should be moved on.

Decent big lad though, someone who should always be welcome back.

Get Defoe back at the club to have a word with him. Defoe was one of the best strikers I've seen in terms of that single minded determination to get a shot on goal. If Dessers could add even a little bit of that he'd have another 10 goals a season

The big man is nowhere near as bad as some make out , he is not perfect and next season should not be our starting 9 but I think he's a very decent squad player- let's face it he's been up front on his own for large parts of the season and has a more than decent goal return.

Some players we make up our mind as a support early with and don't change that view until the player leaves regardless of what they do , dessers is one .

Two yards out ball crossed to foot blasted over the bar, ball crossed in perfect position to hit first time shot takes a touch and moves towards 3 defenders. Ball crossed in and scores a superb header.
This is typical dessers.

If he’s our main stricker next season we might as well write next seasons league off now

As much as he's not perfect and should not be our starting 9 next season , he isn't as bad as some make out and I'd keep as a squad player ( I'd also like to see us try him upfront with someone like Danilo ) , his goal tally is more than decent and also let's face it the majority of the season he has been up there on his own

There are some players we as a support make up our mind and write off early doors then don't change our opinion , we then exaggerate any bad touch , miss or game that player has - dessers is one

Prime example - Cantwell - has en embarrassing assist or goal tally for an so called ex epl number 10 , gets nowhere near the frustration or level of criticism dessers gets infact he's hailed by some as some kind of hero

Keep for the simple reason that I don't think we'll get any substantial offers in for him.

Got to give him credit, he's transformed his game and last night I thought he did well at taking the ball and holding it up. He needs to be more selfish and take shots himself rather than look to bring other players into play sometimes.

Double in the Cup Final and see what next season brings. We do need to strengthen up front though. Not killing off games is just giving other teams a chance to get back into the game and far too many times they have managed this

I never thought I would say this but I’d be edging towards keep unless we make profit. If we had another striker we could rely on it would certainly help.

I'm not his biggest fan but he can score goals. I'm not sure he's the type of striker PC likes or wants. I think more like a Myovski type(more mobile and quick) is what is required. If a decent bid came in then it's a no trainer but at same time I wouldn't be unhappy to see him in a rangers shirt next season.

Unless it's good money, keep him.

He needs a good 8 or 10 supporting.
Yip.
He's had a full season to settle.
Sure, he frustrates the fcuk out you with his misses which would have made a difference but without either his goals or Butland's saves the league would have been over in February.
He may not want to stay with these losers anyway.

Shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot. Misses easier chances and scored the hard ones.

Works his arse off but always looks clumsy with the ball at his feet. 22 goals however is a very good return and I’ve no idea what we do with him to be honest. But I do like him for some reason.
Big man scores at least 1 hat trick in his next 3 games

Some of the replies have been shocking, he's scored 22 goals in his first season and he has put in many a good shift for the team, aye ship him out and get another Silva in ,yes he has fluffed a good few chances but if he can be coached to hit most of them first time he could have had nearer 30,we definitely need a new number 9 but I'd definitely keep him ,he's a hard worker with a good attitude, he's not had the greatest service either, not the best striker we've had but definitely not the worst.

If it's for a decent profit then I'd sell but I wouldn't be upset if we kept him, he can be frustrating at times but after a poor start he's became a regular scorer.

I've voted sell if for profit but looking at the bigger picture the size of the rebuild we are going to need to try and carry out. Taking away from the negatives of his game. I don't think getting rid of a possible 25 goal debut season striker is going to be high on the priority list.

I think a bigger problem this season has been our no 10 (Cantwell or Lawrence) not scoring ~15 goals and 10+ assists. As has been said by others, Sima aside, we don’t get enough from elsewhere on the pitch. Perhaps why the spotlight is on Dessers despite his goal tally.

He’s shown himself to be highly available and despite his faults, can actually find the back of the net. For those two reasons, keep, but should be third choice at most behind two genuine quality forwards we need to bring in.

I like the guy and appreciate his numbers. I have never taken part in the pile on, and as ungainly as his play can be, his numbers stand up.

But i think your post is fair, and does bring up a good point re his age.

At a break even point, or close to it, he is someone who could be moved on or probably should be moved on.

Decent big lad though, someone who should always be welcome back.
He’s slowly got better as the season has went on. He had a bad injury towards the end of last season and didn’t get a full pre season.

He’ll now get his rest and a full pre season under his belt, he also knows the league better and will hopefully play with better players next season.

Definitely a keep, him, Danilo and possibly Shankland as the three next season.

From what I can see - this season has been one of the best of Desser's career
I can't argue with his goals scored record & without them this season would have been an absolute nightmare -
So I'm grateful & appreciate his contribution

But please don't tell me he's anywhere near a decent player
Whatever the stats say he's still an incredibly limited, wasteful & ultimately a very flawed player IMO

If we don't improve on him we'll be in for even more frustration

I'd keep him around. New signings don't always work out and and Danilo has a serious injury to show he has recovered from. Dessers is proven. I'd sooner have that card up my sleeve

Keep him.

Our fans are so quick to want to get rid of strikers even when they are delivering. Colak as another exame. Dessers was brought in to score goals, and he's scored 22, after a horrendous start.

Is he infuriating at times? Yes. But does he consistently show up with goals? Yes.

I'm also not buying the idea that Danilo is a far superior striker. He missed some amount of howlers when he was the preferred 9.

I definitely think we need another striker, but I think Dessers has a space in our squad. And if Clement wants to mix it up now and then and play with two up top, I can see that being a fruitful partnership with Danilo.

I think if he plays every game you will get what you got this season - a decent number of goals, probably not as many as we want, a lot of effort and a lot of missed chances.

If he isn’t a regular starter, I’m not sure he is an impact sub, so, if we upgrade in that position, then I would move him on and get something like our money back.

The stats dont always paint the true picture of this guys efforts and skills, hes got the odd good goal but for the most part failed when it matters and for that reason we need to move him on , have a clean slate and bring in a quality striker.
Failed when it mattered? So do we discount the games where his goals have either put us level, in winning positions or won games? Dessers isn’t the problem. Dessers being our only attacking player contributing goals outside of sima is the problem.

Hopefully we recoup what we spent on Lammers , Danilo will be starting a fresh , he may also want away after text 2 major injuries up here - hopefully not
I would only sell Dessers , when we have a no 9 signed and if we recoup what we spent maybe a small profit , qualifiers will come round quickly

We can’t afford to take a £5m player and say “I’d have him as a squad player.”

He’s a goal scorer and he’s got value. If Phil can’t accommodate him in a stronger starting 11, and there is interest in him, then we have to sell.

If Phil thinks he can make Dessers better and have better players around him in a formation that supports the central striker, then he has to stay.

I think it will be option 2.

Sell ... I want a striker where I expect him to score rather than be surprised when he does.

9 Times out of 10 his first touch is shocking and his inability to hold the ball up means hinders us as a team

Keep.

For all he can be frustrating, his goal contribution has been excellent.

It's not Dessers missing chances that cost us, it's wide players/midfielders not chipping in with goals that cost us (Sima an exception).

A lovely likeable guy but so frustrating. A Rangers centre forward should be scoring regularly but unfortunately for me the chances missed are a concern. Should have scored more.

Sell ... I want a striker where I expect him to score rather than be surprised when he does.

9 Times out of 10 his first touch is shocking and his inability to hold the ball up means hinders us as a team
9 out of 10?
Ma sweaty baws.

If we can get our money back we should move him on.

Needs 5 or 6 chances every game to score and even then sometimes doesn't.

Shouldn't be taking a loss on him or Lammers though.

I'd sell if possible. There's no way we should be going into next season with Dessers as our first choice striker. At the very best, he should be there as backup.

Danilo is still an unknown quantity. He didn't get enough game time last season to make an informed judgment.

If we can get a decent price for Lammers, combined with Roofe coming off the wage bill, we can hopefully bring in a decent new main striker.

Old cliche but some foreign players take half/full season to get acclimatised, there is a good chance he is better next season, worth keeping around imo.

Over the first few months of the season the guy was still recovering from his bad injury in Italy, to be fair.

So i'm with you, and expect a fit & acclimatised Dessers to improve next year.

I'll be amazed if we dont sign a new striker, but he can be a good backup, as he's proven this season with Danilo & Roofe mainly unfit.

Back