What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
FFS , it's tongue and cheek hi-lighting the defence. If Dessers was a striker that scored the biggest majority of his chances, he would be absolutely nowhere near Ibrox. He has hit Morelos numbers in his first season. Dessers can't be blamed for the Motherwell, county, Dundee games. How many times did we create numerous chances in games with not just dessers missing but the whole forward line for teams to go up the park with first attempts and score. It's absolutely laughable that the defence didn't matter in this campaign and blame it on Dessers
We ended up conceding 2 goals more than them and scoring 8 less. Up until Easter we had the best defence in the league. Sticking the ball in the net when we have gilt edges chances is as big a problem as any for us and today proved it. Dessers alone could have had a hat trick. He needs moved on.

I have been supportive of him so far but today was enough. Some of the opportunities to score were more or less tap ins.
Nice big guy and his work rate is good but too often he cannot guide a ball towards the net. We need a N9.

I don't want a nice guy as our main striker, i want a fighting win at all costs striker.
Dessers gets a wee shove or slight tug on jersey and he stops and greets to the ref, f uking give it back.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
Keep him - for me he's a kimberley, itten, Stewart type signing ' good for a few goals and always available- keep.
If Danilo was fit I don't think he'd have been a starter and not sure he really thought he would be anyway.

needs to be moved on, we need better, yes scored some goals, but no chance am i putting money on him scoring 1-1, hes worse than fashion.

Simply not good enough.
We cannot afford to have to rely on him,22 goals may seem a decent return but the chances missed throughout the season has cost us.

Good guy, great attitude but nowhere near good enough for us.

It honestly frightens me how many people would keep him in the team next season.

It’s as if some folk are happy not winning leagues.

He’s a great example of why numbers are pretty useless without context. Season tally looks pretty decent. But if you just look at the league, he’s got 16 goals. Same number Miovski scored for a truly pitiful sheep side, and one less than Theo Bair scored for a pitiful Motherwell side. And at the end of the day you’ve always got the eye test, the way we used to judge players, and he fails that to be honest, because we’ve all seen how bad can be in front of goal at times, often in critical games too.

I didn’t really know what to vote, you feel he’d be fine as a second striker, but the problem is he won’t be getting paid like a second striker, he’s pulling in the wage of a first choice centre forward. I suppose in light of that I’d have to say sell. He’s not the only issue though, I think a lot of people trying to pin the season’s failures solely on the attack have ulterior motives and are really just trying to deflect blame from the likes of Tav.

I love his attitude and if he took penalties would probably have scored 30+goals this season that said if we get a decent offer he can go with my best wishes

Could you imagine if we had went into today needing the win and he misses the chances that he did. His numbers look impressive so time to move him on.

I would keep Cyril. Still got a great goal and assist contribution, has the fortitude required to play for our club. He will score goals at any level of football. Which could be vital in Europe .

Having had an understanding of the football environment , with a good pre season , and a quality defence preventing conceding goals, a more dynamic midfield, and better quality competition to compete with in attack , he will be a useful player at the club. We need to win games from the off, I think you can rely on him to be ready to go next season.

I don’t doubt we should recruit a more potent finisher to compliment , the contribution in that department.

A lot of what people are saying in this thread about him not being good enough and you can't rely on him in the big games is fair enough. He's not supposed to be our number 1 striker. I'm assuming that will be Danilo when fit and/or maybe a summer signing, but to have a 2nd or 3rd choice striker who can score 20+ goals in a season (after a bad start) is worth his weight in gold.

We need more goals from midfield and wide. Dessers is the least of our problems and I'd argue he's one of very view who has done what was needed of them this season.

If someone is willing to buy him at the 3-3.5m mark then I would sell him.
A likeable guy who tries but the absolute routine sitters that he’s missed has cost us games.

Yesterday aside, if for example he tucked away that sitter against Ross County we’d have been 2 up in the first half and it’s then a completely different game.

A lot of what people are saying in this thread about him not being good enough and you can't rely on him in the big games is fair enough. He's not supposed to be our number 1 striker. I'm assuming that will be Danilo when fit and/or maybe a summer signing, but to have a 2nd or 3rd choice striker who can score 20+ goals in a season (after a bad start) is worth his weight in gold.

We need more goals from midfield and wide. Dessers is the least of our problems and I'd argue he's one of very view who has done what was needed of them this season.
He won't score 20 goals if he isn't playing every game and getting 4 or 5 high quality chances in those games.

I'd prefer my 3rd choice striker to be a project, not a bang average guy in his late 20s and on big money.

The chance in the first half yesterday is a prime example of where we need improvement.

Yes Dessers could do better, however the pass to him is fucking garbage. McCausland plays it behind him, so Dessers is having to try get his foot round the ball and direct away from the keeper, rather than if its in front of him he gets an easy tap in.

Maybe a better striker would still have scored, but we also need the wide players to use the ball much better in situations like that and not make things difficult.

Why sell our top scorer. We dont know if Danilo will come back looking like the player he was before injuries. I know Dessers misses chances but so does Shankland and any striker.
Just how many games would we have lost without his goals. I also like the way he runs at defenders who have the ball.
Wont be the best we ever have had but good enough for me to be in the squad.

Folk are regurgitating his stats without realising the nature of them.

He’s not made a good enough impact in the games that matter. I’d punt.

Having said that, the focus of this summer needs to be on the back line. Now I might punt him no matter what, but we shouldn’t lose focus of the real issue at hand here - the back four.

Calling him an enigma barely even covers it. His movement is sublime and he has an excellent attitude. But his hold-up play, passing, and obviously finishing, range from the terrific to terrible. It's so much more polarised than any other striker missing some chances but taking others. The sitters he's missed are unfathomable, then he finishes like Defoe. Bizarre.

He can't be our main man. He'd contribute plenty as a squad striker I think, but I expect he's paid far more than you'd want to pay a squad player. And given Danilo's return from injury, I think it's best we move Dessers along. Bring in two strikers, one to start and one for depth if we're playing one up front or two to start if Clement goes back to the 4-4-2 kind of formations he's used before.

He's a nice guy with a commendable attitude, but needs moved on.

Sadly, Cyriel is not proficient enough to be Rangers main striker.

In saying that, Shankland is not the answer either.
I’m not saying Shankland is the answer but statistically, he’s the most “proficient” striker in the league by a distance.

I know xG is sneered at by some on here but it does give an insight into the quality of chances a team creates, or how efficient a striker is.

Dessers has 16 premiership goals from an xG of 19, so he should have 3 extra goals.

Whereas Shankland has 24 goals from an xG of 17 so he’s outperforming his xG by 6 goals.

If you’re looking for a striker who knows the league, is Scottish, is a Rangers fan….

He won't be happy being a "second striker". Some folk speak like he's a pawn to be used in any way they see fit.

I'd keep him but he isn't going to be happy playing 2nd fiddle or playing away in Europe to suit our style.

Happy with money back on him. He gave us a good few memories. Ya big blue eyed ride.

I’m not saying Shankland is the answer but statistically, he’s the most “proficient” striker in the league by a distance.

I know xG is sneered at by some on here but it does give an insight into the quality of chances a team creates, or how efficient a striker is.

Dessers has 16 premiership goals from an xG of 19, so he should have 3 extra goals.

Whereas Shankland has 24 goals from an xG of 17 so he’s outperforming his xG by 6 goals.

If you’re looking for a striker who knows the league, is Scottish, is a Rangers fan….
This isn't a dig or me being snide.

Why or how does xG enhance my enjoyment of the game? I should expect Dessers to score?

Folk are regurgitating his stats without realising the nature of them.

He’s not made a good enough impact in the games that matter. I’d punt.

Having said that, the focus of this summer needs to be on the back line. Now I might punt him no matter what, but we shouldn’t lose focus of the real issue at hand here - the back four.

A lot of words there to say %^*& all.

You punting the 20 goal striker?

He will be a better player with a bit of quality around him another season for me

He missed 4 sitters yesterday. The quality around him has nothing to do with that. It sounds bizarre to say about a 22 goal striker but he simply can't be relied on.

This isn't a dig or me being snide.

Why or how does xG enhance my enjoyment of the game? I should expect Dessers to score?
I’m not sure it enhances your enjoyment but as I explained, xG can give people who care, an insight into the quality of chances a team creates and how efficient a striker is.

Rangers, since Clement came in, tend to outscore their xG which, for me, is concerning because it means we are not creating good chances and tend to score goals from areas of the pitch which are difficult to score from. Eg Cantwell and McCausland scoring from outside the box.

On the other hand, you’ve got Dessers yesterday who missed a tap in from the 6yd box vs Hearts and Ross county a few weeks earlier.

Add these two factors together, we’ve got a team who don’t create many clear cut chances, and when we do, our striker doesn’t take them.

Hindsight but signing Shankland in January and we would’ve won the league given his efficiency in front of goal.

Not a fan, he wastes way too many chances, but also his game overall isn't good enough for us.

He’s clumsy, gets caught offside too often, feigns issues and keeps pointing to the ground, referee or other players when he loses the ball or missed a chance. And yet he has scoted a number of goals this season and missed so many more.

A very frustrating footballer.

Not good enough to be our number 9

I’m not sure it enhances your enjoyment but as I explained, xG can give people who care, an insight into the quality of chances a team creates and how efficient a striker is.

Rangers, since Clement came in, tend to outscore their xG which, for me, is concerning because it means we are not creating good chances and tend to score goals from areas of the pitch which are difficult to score from. Eg Cantwell and McCausland scoring from outside the box.

On the other hand, you’ve got Dessers yesterday who missed a tap in from the 6yd box vs Hearts and Ross county a few weeks earlier.

Add these two factors together, we’ve got a team who don’t create many clear cut chances, and when we do, our striker doesn’t take them.

Hindsight but signing Shankland in January and we would’ve won the league given his efficiency in front of goal.

Again, not being nasty.

Sounds like a good way to polish a turd.

A lot of words there to say %^*& all.

You punting the 20 goal striker?
In principle yes. At the moment he might be our best option in an injury ravaged squad. However, he cannot deliver in big moments. His goals mostly come from games against the lesser teams and we have other folk that can do this in theory.

Our priority for the summer should be on the back line however.

Why sell our top scorer. We dont know if Danilo will come back looking like the player he was before injuries. I know Dessers misses chances but so does Shankland and any striker.
Just how many games would we have lost without his goals. I also like the way he runs at defenders who have the ball.
Wont be the best we ever have had but good enough for me to be in the squad.
But unfortunately for us Shankland level strikers score yesterday and against Ross County. If he was on a small wage I’d keep him as a 3rd choice striker due to the fact he remains fit, but as others have said he is on big wages and for that fact he has to be sold for me. But he goes with my best wishes as he gives 100%.

In principle yes. At the moment he might be our best option in an injury ravaged squad. However, he cannot deliver in big moments. His goals mostly come from games against the lesser teams and we have other folk that can do this in theory.

Our priority for the summer should be on the back line however.

How many did Boyd score against them?

How many did Boyd score against them?
Not many, but he was part of a wider squad which could deliver against them. I doubt we will have a midfield rebuild in the summer so cannot rely on goals there. This, we need a more reliable striker for Dessers for the time being.

What’s the problem with a striker that can score against the dhims and the SPFL teams?

Back