What positions will Clement want to sign players in ?

I don't see us keeping that amount of players on. If we do we'll likely have next to no transfer budget because we'll need to sell to buy.

Butland, Mcrorie
Tav, blank ?
Goldson, Balogun
Souttar, Davies
Yilmaz, blank ?

Sterling, Blank ?
Diomande, Raskin
Cantwell, Lawrence, Hagi

Cortes, Mcausland, Wright
Dessers, Danilo,
Sima, Matondo

Left out - players who's contract is up roofe, jack, lundstram, barisic, Silva.
Along with youth players devine, yfeko, rice, king, fraser, Lovelace, lowry

Maybe the manager will move Sterling to RB or look to sell Davies etc. This isn't about a starting 11 or transfer rumours or who you want to see come or go. We'd all like to see 7 or 8 new players I'm sure.

Looking to see what positions we think Clement is targeting next season ?

The way I've wrote it down it looks like he might be in the market for a LB, RB, DM and maybe a loan ST.
There will be a lot of players leaving and probably a few surprises tbh

There will be a lot of players leaving and probably a few surprises tbh
Of course. But it's more or less 1 in and 1 out. I doubt he's going to bring in what people are suggesting. Be difficult to get 2 CBS when we already have 4.

So I'm staying away from that and focussing on what he will make his early targets

Everywhere really.
Being brutally honest, I'd be keeping Butland (please!), Diomande (who has been a surprise for me) and Sterling.

A few others may yet rescue their futures in the upcoming games.
But all in all, the rest of them are eminently replaceable.

The truth is that this has been needed for several seasons.
If we don't make a start this summer, whenever will we ??

Being brutally honest, I'd be keeping Butland (please!), Diomande (who has been a surprise for me) and Sterling.

A few others may yet rescue their futures in the upcoming games.
But all in all, the rest of them are eminently replaceable.

The truth is that this has been needed for several seasons.
If we don't make a start this summer, whenever will we ??
Genuinely trying to think who could rescue their future.

I wouldn’t rule out every position tbh, especially with murmurings of Tav and Butland possibly being sold

GK (I’d rather this wasn’t the case though)
Right back
Left back (probably x 2)
Centre back x 2
Central midfield x 2
Attacking midfielders / No.10
Right wing
Left wing
Striker x 2

Quiet summer ahead:)

Last edited:
Worth nothing that, in his first season at Club Brugge, he brought in twelve players and shipped twelve players out.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

At Monaco, 5 in, 12 out (inc loans)

He is not afraid to mix things up rather than trying to work with a broken squad
Well this is pretty interesting, and something I never knew. Let's hope he tears this team apart and starts from scratch. I'm sure he'll have every players number, so to speak. Who isn't worth keeping and who he can get a job out of with different players around them.

How long does everyone give him if he gets rid of 9 first team players and a bunch of academy players, and brings in 10 new faces, with a bunch of young players for the future, who will go into the academy? Surely he has to be giving the same time as Gerrard had. Because he's ran that mhob all the way this year, I fear he won't get the time to build his own team and the merry go round will continue.

How long does everyone give him if he gets rid of 9 first team players and a bunch of academy players, and brings in 10 new faces, with a bunch of young players for the future, who will go into the academy? Surely he has to be giving the same time as Gerrard had. Because he's ran that mhob all the way this year, I fear he won't get the time to build his own team and the merry go round will continue.

He’ll get the first half of the first match…

…in pre-season:))

In all seriousness though, next season is going to be extremely difficult if the level of turnover that’s required actually happens.

At least two wingers, two strikers, two midfielders and a centre back is the bare minimum. I’d look to sell dessers, make our money back and use it to bring in a couple of strikers. Make our money back on Lammers as well.

Reactions: cav
Cb, Lb, Cm, St, and we probably need a right mid as well as McCauslands young and we've had to play Sterling there. We might sign Sima depending on fee but after 2 injuries and the AFCON call ups he'll probably get I don't think he'll be worth the fee although I've been delighted with his goal return.

Based on recent history, our likely transfer budget and the need to both sell and buy, I fear those who expect 10 or more incomings will be disappointed.

It's more likely that we'll bring in 6 - 8 and lose the same. The CL money would really help.

Worth nothing that, in his first season at Club Brugge, he brought in twelve players and shipped twelve players out.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

He is not afraid to mix things up rather than trying to work with a broken squad
Probably hard to answer but do you know how the teams performed after the changes?

Right back to challenge Tav.
Centre backs both positions preferably (the Panamanian already rumoured to fill left slot).
Left back to challenge Yilmaz (maybe Jefte).
Centre mid to replace Lundstram and much (much much) less so Jack.
Left winger (likely Cortes).
Right winger (hopefully Sima).
Wouldn’t mind if Matondo left and was replaced by someone that can fill in either side.
Striker.

Assuming all the ooc players go. And taking into account the players likely leaving.....

Gk x1
Lb x1
Cb x2
Cm x2
Am x1
Lw x1
Rw x1
Cf x2

I can't see this summer being anything but a massive rebuild.

What players should the Manager replace

giphy.gif

Maybe keep Butland and Diomande

He’ll get the first half of the first match…

…in pre-season:))

In all seriousness though, next season is going to be extremely difficult if the level of turnover that’s required actually happens.
That is the thing, it is a proper catch 22.

It needs to happen, but if we do what is required, next season will be a tough one.

Very difficult to rip a squad to bits and offer some sort of continuity. I suppose the counter to that is continuity to what? Playing second fiddle? Get it ripped up!

Then it is up to us to show some patience.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

Fair enough but can we fund something similar for him if he's wanting to do it?

he is going to need to look at all the positions

anyone of value is at risk of being sold to fund what we need to buy, which also means we need to buy to replace them

I think an interesting discussion is who will still be in the squad at the start of next season..

yilmaz
souttar

diamonde???? cortes??? (as these are loans these would be seen as additions)
sterling

dessers (but not a starter???)
danilo???
matondo
mcausland
cantwell??

I think now would be the ideal time to sell him. He's scored a good number of goals and if there is interest in him I'd take our money back
Same here,he seems to be one of those players that isn't learning much. Still taking too many touches rather than shooting,still being caught offside way too much.

Right back and captain is definitely the priority for next season. Get that correct and he will keep his job, doesn’t he will follow the rest.

I think now would be the ideal time to sell him. He's scored a good number of goals and if there is interest in him I'd take our money back
It's not upto us to just sell him cause fans want it. We would require a team to offer what we paid and the player to want to leave. We don't hold any cards in regards to any players under contract.

This place continues to amaze me. People keep posting who they somehow think will just be sold even though they are constantly slated on here. So why would any other club just want them or more importantly offer what we pay them.

We will lose the out of contract players and possibly 1 or 2 sold. There won't be anywhere near 11 new signings because we don't have the finances to pay for that. They fact we are spending £4.3m of our budget before the window really starts means we will need out of contract players from elsewhere. However they are mostly just like our own OOC players. They are mostly not valuable enough at their own clubs to get new contracts or even be sold elsewhere.

Ironically I would say GK is the only safe space but it's the one we might end up changing to utilise most ££££

Why would we want to get rid of a striker who's scored 20 goals, has nearly 1 in 2 in the league, and is one of maybe only half a dozen players in our squad who is always fit and available?

Why would we want to get rid of a striker who's scored 20 goals, has nearly 1 in 2 in the league, and is one of maybe only half a dozen players in our squad who is always fit and available?
In order to sign one who perhaps the manager wants rather than inherited and who's value may be close to what we paid having scored 20 goals

I think the following positions will be top 5 priority.

Left back
Left centre back
Number 6 midfielder
Right winger
Left winger

Could go on and name all but the goalkeeper tbh.

Personally, I would sell almost all our attacking midfielders i.e. Lawrence, Cantwell and Hagi. I feel like we never get the most out of them seeing as most teams play a low block and 10 men behind the ball. AM's to me need that pocket of space between midfield and defence to be most effective, and we rarely see it in the SPL. I think we're much better suited with box-to-box CM's. Full backs provide the width and have inside forwards supporting the striker. Or, heaven forbid, actually play 2 strikers, especially against jobbers at Ibrox.

Think whatever happens hinges on whether we win the league or not and get the CL money.
No they don't.

Our summer spending isn't altered up or down by European performance or CL qualification, ever. This summer will be no different.

I think after Clement watching this squad of players for 6 months and dealing with the amount of injuries too we will fairly likely see a much different team on the park next season.

That will depend very much on getting players out the door but with Lundstram, Roofe, Jack, McLaughlin, Borna & Balogun out of contract that’s already a fair chunk off the wage bill for a few bosmans to come in. Silva will leave at end of loan although I think we may try and keep Cortes and Sima.

Then I think we will be trying to sell the likes of Cantwell, Lawrence, Matondo & Davies back to English clubs. Lammers & Cifuentes clearly have no future with us and it will be interesting to see what happens with Ridvan Hagi & Raskin too as they could generate funds through sales.

All in I think it will be a very busy summer of ins and outs

Looking at a massive overhaul. No one disagrees. Finding players who want to come will be easy, finding good ones harder. Finding good Scottish ones harder still.
On that note, the rules on Scottish born players pretty much necessitate our back up goalies being Scottish. Even if mcCrorie stays we still need an experienced 3rd choice just in case. My shout would be Laidlaw at Ross County, who has always done well, would be cheap. He is 31, might well be happy to fill McLaughlin's boots.

I think most of us could make a reasonable case for improvement on all positions - starting eleven and back-up

Just like Wattie used to say - It's going to be the willingness of new recruits to come to us - that's the difficulty - not just identifying them
PC will probably have similar issues & we may end up with additions to less obvious areas of the pitch rather than where our biggest weaknesses might be

I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing
Sometimes the replacement / addition of one or two players in key areas improves previous weaknesses in other areas

I believe PC & Koppen's contacts, overall knowledge & experience of the markets will be the main catalyst to successful recruitment this close season

I really hope PC already knows some hidden gems & good alternatives if his first choices don't come off

The scope of the rebuild all depends on Champions League qualification and what we can recoup in transfer fees for some of the players that need to go. We should have some salary space freed up which is also helpful with those out of contract moving on.

Whatever the size of the task, we have to get the right players in in terms of attitude and comfortable with the style of play PC wants us to adopt.

Back