What type/style of Rangers team do you expect/want under Clement next season ?

I'd like something very different, their dominance in the league suggests we need something very different to compete.

Perhaps 3 at the back.

We want a new squad but obviously reality will kick in.

Out - Wright, Goldson, Davies, Lundstrum, Silva, Cantwell*, Tav, Roofe, Jack. Barasic.

In replacements for all the above.

*Cantwell - if he can't get on with the boss, he has to go.

From what I saw of Clement’s Brugge side they were fast up front and created a lot of chances from wide areas and supporting midfielders. Definitely a direct style of football as we’ve seen in his time here although I don’t think our players are suited to it at all.

Direct and physically imposing. Tough physically, tougher mentally.

That means an absolute clear-out of the plodders, the shitebags and the medically challenged.

I don't want to see the likes of Tavernier, Goldson, Lundstram, Roofe, Lawrence, Jack etc. plod about on the pitch, half-heartedly complaining, whilst wearing our shirt ever again after the cup final.

From what I saw of Clement’s Brugge side they were fast up front and created a lot of chances from wide areas and supporting midfielders. Definitely a direct style of football as we’ve seen in his time here although I don’t think our players are suited to it at all.
Our fastest players - like Wright and Matondo - are fringe players only.

The one slither of encouragement I’m clinging to with Clement is that we were playing some very decent football at one point and it was based on passing, moving and pressing at speed.

As players began to tire and confidence dipped I think we’ve opted to go long more, but it doesn’t work without the correct personnel which we clearly don’t have.

Putting aside the usual unrealistic hysteria about changing the entire squad saving for two or three players, I do feel we need about four or five that go straight into the starting eleven and improve it - a new centre back, central midfielder, winger and striker are essential - certainly a whole new core, but whether we can attract or afford the type of player we need is the big question.

The one slither of encouragement I’m clinging to with Clement is that we were playing some very decent football at one point and it was based on passing, moving and pressing at speed.

As players began to tire and confidence dipped I think we’ve opted to go long more, but it doesn’t work without the correct personnel which we clearly don’t have.

Putting aside the usual unrealistic hysteria about changing the entire squad saving for two or three players, I do feel we need about four or five that go straight into the starting eleven and improve it - a new centre back, central midfielder, winger and striker are essential - certainly a whole new core, but whether we can attract or afford the type of player we need is the big question.
A key element of that was the pace and power of Sima. When we lost that we lost a lot. Cantwell also started well but seemed to get beyond himself and started to overcomplicate matters trying to show off too much.

Our fastest players - like Wright and Matondo - are fringe players only.
Yeah we’ll need a full overhaul to play the way Clement has in the past but I think we all know that’s coming anyway.

I think Sima on a permanent deal is a stick on, fits Clement’s system to a tee.

This lineup and playing with wingers is how he likes to play so I expect more of the same next season, but with his own players doing it, and doing it better

A key element of that was the pace and power of Sima. When we lost that we lost a lot. Cantwell also started well but seemed to get beyond himself and started to overcomplicate matters trying to show off too much.
It looks to me that Clement wants players to perform the specific roles he gives them as part of the team while Cantwell wants to be the star man and play a free role.

I could see him moving on in the summer.

We have no excuse next year not to be fitter and less injury prone. That's a minimum.

We also have an opportunity to recruit to the system - fast, direct and well structured. We were suffocating teams and keeping clean sheets when he first came.

We need to get back to that. The straw I'm clutching at is he's had yo deal with the squad he has and injuries.

I expect us to move the ball faster using the whole pitch. Having players being more direct such as Cortés was starting to show and more energy allround with increased fitness levels.

I suppose one positive of this thread is the presumption that Clement will still be in charge next season.

Which, of course, he will be, must be - even if he loses the Cup Final.

But there are other contributions on this forum complaining that he’s: tactically outsmarted by Rodgers; makes the wrong team selections; makes the wrong substitutions; is tactically inflexible; plays long ball football; is too loyal to the old guard; and probably other criticisms I haven’t spotted. Posters have removed him from their avatars. Some are questioning how long he lasts.

Sadly, the true answer to the OP’s question is: one that beats Celtic.

This lineup and playing with wingers is how he likes to play so I expect more of the same next season, but with his own players doing it, and doing it better

It’ll be players we can afford as opposed to his ideal players though. It’s kinda shown so far he can’t get a tune out of players that don’t fit his system.

A team like our teams of old. Strong, physical players who ground out results and players that do the ugly side of the game to allow more talented players (hopefully Dio, Cotres and Danielle) to do the business.

A team that is not so reliant on the wings, able to play through midfield.

We need aggression, pace and physicality, especially in defense.

Minimum requirement at Rangers - Fittest, Strongest, Hungry to win winners medals.
Start from that point. Add the rest from there. Get men like that and we can beat that lot.

The worrying thing is we’ll have to build a side with less money than the previous two seasons probably.

Our wage bill is also currently £3m higher than that other mobs and that can’t continue either.

I want players who will win every 50-50 ball, every 60-40 against and even 70 -30 against.
To treat the jobby teams like jobbers and to treat that mob with as a piece of shite.

That will do for starters.

Pace, tempo, a bit of guile and playing the ball on the deck.

So basically the opposite of what has been served up for months now.

Needs to be less long balls. I don’t mind ‘direct’ football as in playing forward passes quicker that are riskier and in turn you lose possession more often and need to work hard and press high to win back….as opposed to the tippy tappy stuff under Beale….but there’s far too many long balls being hit into the channels and it’s not a style that potential new signings are going to find attractive.

He needs to have a team that gives more of a effort, cut out the back passing and midfield side to side cautious approach. Let's get at teams with pace and confidence, his teams are coming across as joyless atm, or maybe they are taking the joy out of games for me.

Yeah he seems to like playing with width via direct and pacy wingers, so you can see why the injuries to Sima, Cortes etc have hampered our playing style quite a bit

Players who can run at and beat opposition players from midfield, gamechangers if you will and a smattering of people who can shoot and hit a target from distance.

Strong Athletic Bougherra like Centre Halfs and a bully up front that will smash defences.

Unfortunatly that's a few windows away

Defenders who can defend
Midfielders who can pass
A striker who can score

We have none of the above just now

having a degree of mobility in our team would be a starter for me,a team that are comfortable with a ball at their feet, that can pass crisply and concisely, that can keep possession for spells, that look as if they are working on set pieces , all the basic stuff that we seem to toil with at the moment

Possession based ? Direct ? Pacier ? Fitter ? Younger ? Experienced ? More structured ? Change of formation ?

Right now we're a long ball mob if we're honest. Good players who can pass a ball are being bypassed for defenders to launch long diagonals into the corners or down the throats of opposition centre backs.

I'm not against being a long ball team as long as we're good at it and right now we're not. A centre forward who isn't very good at winning the ball aerially or holding it up, a midfield with not enough movement from players to pick up second balls. It's a slog to watch at times.

So come the summer, what do you want to see from the manager to fix the problems we currently have ?
‘A’ style would be good

Clement is/was keen on re-signing Lundstram. That suggests a style similar to this season - the expectation, though, is better players in the final third, more athleticism and speed.

11 Dujon Sterling's

It's not too much to ask for. Strong, robust players who give their all for the jersey.

The worrying thing is we’ll have to build a side with less money than the previous two seasons probably.

Our wage bill is also currently £3m higher than that other mobs and that can’t continue either.
Getting rid of Lundstram wipes out around half of that if rumoured wage is anything like the truth. Need to shift a good few more than just him though.

Possession based ? Direct ? Pacier ? Fitter ? Younger ? Experienced ? More structured ? Change of formation ?

Right now we're a long ball mob if we're honest. Good players who can pass a ball are being bypassed for defenders to launch long diagonals into the corners or down the throats of opposition centre backs.

I'm not against being a long ball team as long as we're good at it and right now we're not. A centre forward who isn't very good at winning the ball aerially or holding it up, a midfield with not enough movement from players to pick up second balls. It's a slog to watch at times.

So come the summer, what do you want to see from the manager to fix the problems we currently have ?
All of the above

Tactically aware, entertaining, a starting line up that has the best players in their best positions, substitions that positively impact the game, basically the opposite of what we've seen from a Clement team so far

As long as it a team that wins trophies I could not care less mate.

We all knew what was happening today, it’s fucking sickening.

First thing he needs to do is sign;

1. A captain
2. Two or three Snidey bastards who know the dark arts
3. A midfielder who can control the game.
4. A whole new team of players who fucking hate losing so much they won't allow it to happen so often.

Just the basics in modern football. We have no tactics, we don’t play long ball it’s because the defence have no other option. We don’t play any system.

It’s horrific and has been for months. If the manager with new players is back again at this shit after the summer he won’t be here long.

A wining side. My time was the 90s and we won in various styles with top class players who today we'd demand flair every game. Instead in the 90s we got points which led to prizes.

Each season we had players who never bottled a challenge or shirked a tackle, win or lose.

I want winners, not ideology. That's Rangers!

Honestly, all I want is a changing of the guard.

I don't believe that three consecutive managers can be so ineffective against them.
It's very clear nothing will change until there is a sea change in our dressing room and anyone who still can't see that is supporting players, not the club.

Look at Sterling and Butland today, they were absolutely magnificent and we need more players like them and with their attitude. Their commitment and courage put the sacred cows to shame.

Nothing changes no matter who is in charge until these changes are made - Clement has to make those changes before he has any hope of building a championship winning side.

Think before we talk about style of football, we need to have a conversation about mentality and bottle.
This is so important.

This lot of players at Rangers would be superstars if they had a mind to play their own game more often.
We just seem to wait for opponents to take control of a game then react - whether it’s Celtic or Ross County.

Hopefully he shows that he is capable of changing the style up a little for the tougher fixtures. Like for like changes aren't going to always work especially when chasing games.

Old firms are won in midfield the sooner we resort to 3 in the middle the better we will be for it. Gio suffered from his ignorance towards this, hopefully Clement doesn't do the same when he hopefully has his own crop of players to choose from.

Hi tempo, quick football.

I’ll forgive them if they fall short rather than go down not fighting.

Nothing specifically pointed at today but the Motherwell and Ross County games in particular were instances of poor application from highly paid unprofessionals un befitting of the jersey.

Back