What will Tav's legacy be?

Triumph over adversity, is a great way of putting it.

No Rangers captain has achieved what he has, simple as that.

The mental toughness to overcome the humiliations, maulings and so on that he has endured over his time with us - developing into the player he is, from where he started.

He captained us to our first league title since the horror of 2012, which we are still impacted by today and I hope (suspect) that he’ll be viewed far more positively by later generations.

Won every domestic trophy there is, restored European credibility, top scorer in a European competition of which he drove us to within a bawhair of winning it.

Praised to the heavens by two incredibly decorated footballers, one of whom made him captain of our club.

His time is almost up, due to his age and miles on the clock but it’ll be a very sad day when he goes.

Regardless of the lack of trophies
The man will be seen as a legend and rightly so

No doubt about it even if it takes soon dust and red mist to settle from some if we don’t have a successful season, he’s just been in a lot of Rangers teams that sadly have been failures, it’s probably why we’ve been so lucky and nobody has bidded for him his personal contribution over the years on top of the pressure he’s been under has been good, history will be good to him and we won’t realise how good a captain he is until he’s gone.

The mental toughness to overcome the humiliations, maulings and so on that he has endured over his time with us - developing into the player he is, from where he started.

He captained us to our first league title since the horror of 2012, which we are still impacted by today and I hope (suspect) that he’ll be viewed far more positively by later generations.

Won every domestic trophy there is, restored European credibility, top scorer in a European competition of which he drove us to within a bawhair of winning it.

Praised to the heavens by two incredibly decorated footballers, one of whom made him captain of our club.

His time is almost up, due to his age and miles on the clock but it’ll be a very sad day when he goes.

Well said

Agreed. Some will always point to trophy count, but his stats will ensure he is always talked about in the future. Away from football, his family seem really happy here, so even if he does go to Saudi or somewhere else for a final big pay day, think Tav may be involved in and around the club for years to come.

Bears a century from now will look back and marvel at his output in terms of goals and assists from a full back position. It’s likely no one else will ever come close to replicating it.

History will judge Tav very kindly. Both for his spectacular numbers, but also as for his story of being the one player who went from the lower leagues to 55 and Seville.

Depends on what era will be judging his legacy. I suspect history will tend to look quite favourably on him, especially given his attacking output. Right-backs aren't supposed to score the amount of goals he has, penalties or not, and there'll be plenty of times we will miss him when he's gone. He'll always be a Rangers legend.

There'll always be an asterisk that he didn't win enough, though - and I'd be worried if there wasn't, because every generation of Rangers fans should expect their club to win trophies.

Brilliant post. Don't think I have anything to add to that.

Could not have put it any better myself.

Nail on the head.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. He is a Legend of our club and led us to 55. It will be a very sad day when ho leaves and then people will realise what he has did.

Legend. In 20 years time you won’t be watching how he had a mistake away to some diddy team, you will be watching his massive goals in big games. His contribution is immense.

Someone made a good point last week. Everybody gets misty eyed about players from other eras but games weren’t analysed and scrutinised like they are now. A player could have a bad game but nobody seen it other than folk in the stadium and even then things are missed. To play more than 50 games a season at the level he does is fantastic and he should be on the hall of fame ahead of most on it

An absolute freak. A one off.
A man who wouldn't be out of place in any Rangers team of the past, who's been let down badly by those around him from the very top of the club through to his team mates.
Someone who's personal performances have warranted a far larger trophy haul than he has, fate hasn't been kind to Tavernier in the Rangers teams he's had to endure, but history will be kind to him when we talk of the great players of the past when we are grey and old.
After all, he's James Tavernier, he makes defenders fear.

A captain that lead us to our most important title whilst getting into our hall of fame and will be our highest scoring defender. His legacy definitely should be a positive one.

His place is assured in this clubs history.not only as our record goalscoring defender but he’s in a very small club of Rangers players who have captained a rangers team in a European final.

More good than bad

Some great times, some rotten. A Euro Final, some trophies though probably shoukd be more, and spawned 1000s of moaners on here and in the stands.

Goals and assists don't happen by sheer chance.

All round he has been very good player with an unbelievable goalscoring record for a defender.
You also cant ignore the bad though in that he was involved in some of our worst results vs celtic and trophy count is not as good as it should be. A bit like Cooper in that he was here at a time when our team was generally awful.

The most under appreciated and over abused player in my lifetime.
I was at the Kilmarnock game in March last season, I'm pretty sure it was within the same week that Tav had just been inducted into the hall of fame. Anyways he'd bagged a penalty and we were 3-0 up at half time. Easy as it gets. And Tav had been solid as a rock all half. Not a murmur from the fans around me.

Second half Tav gave a couple of pretty cheap balls away. Not great by any stretch, but the reaction of the guys sat around me had to be heard to be believed. Never heard a crowd go from zero to vicious so quickly against their own player. Utter madness. I reckon you'd hear the same shite in the crowd even at his testimonial!

All round he has been very good player with an unbelievable goalscoring record for a defender.
You also cant ignore the bad though in that he was involved in some of our worst results vs celtic and trophy count is not as good as it should be. A bit like Cooper in that he was here at a time when our team was generally awful.
Blows my mind tbh that the number of trophies won by the club is held against him so strongly by some. How many other successful clubs have been overly reliant on a right back as their spearhead to success?

Outstanding post.

Depends on what era will be judging his legacy. I suspect history will tend to look quite favourably on him, especially given his attacking output. Right-backs aren't supposed to score the amount of goals he has, penalties or not, and there'll be plenty of times we will miss him when he's gone. He'll always be a Rangers legend.

There'll always be an asterisk that he didn't win enough, though - and I'd be worried if there wasn't, because every generation of Rangers fans should expect their club to win trophies.

Like Ally Dawson or Craig Paterson?

Both won less, did nothing in europe and still get gigs around the club

He’ll be remembered as a legend.

He’s also served under some legendary people and endured good highs and terrible lows that may set him in good stead as a future manager either at Rangers or elsewhere.

Tav, if you’re looking in I would love to get a “55” shirt that I have signed to get framed. ;):))

Legend

Fact is football is a team game and he can't be blamed for not winning more trophies, he has dragged us through games and scored big goals at important times, if we had a team of 11 Tavs we would have been more successful

Looking at it, I'd say yes he could have and should have won more however there is context to be added.
Year 1
we were in the Championship.
Year 2 and 3 Murty/Caixinha etc, enough said.
Year 4
Gerrard's 1st season. Should have won at least a cup or 2, league was a bridge too far.
Year 5
promised a lot, good half season, fell off a cliff then season abandoned with 9 games left, title awarded to them. Should have been closer when season was abandoned and had at least a cup. We'll never know how that season would have finished.
Year 6
55, undefeated league season. Should have won the treble.
Year 7
Europa league final and Scottish Cup. Threw the league away.
Year 8
Shambolic
Year 9
League Cup so far.....
In 9 season, a league title, a Scottish Cup, a League Cup and an Europa League final, in which he was 1 penalty either way of being immortal.
Doesn't seem enough but given all of the above not too bad.

For those who criticise the lack of trophies won under his captaincy. Paul McStay won one Scottish Cup v Airdrie as captain of Celtic yet is regarded as a "great" by their fans. Tav will rightly be remembered for his outstanding contributions to our great Club.

This.

Also being a high-profile black captain at the Old Firm shouldn't be overlooked.

Imagine peak Tav in the great rangers sides under Souness, Walter or Advocaat. Would never have looked out of place.

For those who criticise the lack of trophies won under his captaincy. Paul McStay won one Scottish Cup v Airdrie as captain of Celtic yet is regarded as a "great" by their fans. Tav will rightly be remembered for his outstanding contributions to our great Club.
not sure that's the greatest argument when they were mercilessly mocked for that small time attitude and lack of winning mentality.

I'm not saying that as a criticism of tav, I just would never use paul mcstay as the marker of a club great. go down that road and we end up happy with mediocrity

Your 2nd paragraph can be translated in many ways.
If it means that he's our best ever captain (which I trust it doesn't) then it's laughable.
Taking a positive from "maulings" and "humiliations" which he was a part of is turd polishing.
Praise from others? Like that's unique?

He has certainly been phenomenal as a goalscorer and I would doubt anyone will ever come close to him on that front.

Fantastic memories when he goes but a
better captain than Richard Gough? Terry Butcher? John Greig? Barry Ferguson?
Not in my book.
And before the mentalists jump in, that doesn't mean I'm a "hater," I just accept his strengths and weaknesses.

Aye and we pissed our troosers laughing at them :)

Nailed it.

Agreed. Some will always point to trophy count, but his stats will ensure he is always talked about in the future. Away from football, his family seem really happy here, so even if he does go to Saudi or somewhere else for a final big pay day, think Tav may be involved in and around the club for years to come.

If you put Richard gough in the same sides tavs played with he would have excactly the same amount of medals as tav. I can understand the criticism he gets why he’s not the best choice for captain. The argument about not winning enough trophy’s is harsh as there comparing him with past players who had Laudrup and Gaza in there teams, while gough had they 2 to rely on, tav had joss windass etc.

Back