What would you change about football?

If the league gets called early for covid. Remaining games should be 'played' by going straight to penalties for results. Twelve players, one ref, two managers. Job done.

Have it an an arena, like a cycling velodrome and the players ran on the track instead of the grass and instead of leather have a steel ball, goals are scored by putting the ball in a wee hole. Also put our midfielders on motorcycles to chase the person who has the steel ball, oh, and put all the players on roller skates. Sounds awesome!

I would introduce VAR to the Scottish game but with a cricket or tennis style Review system where the club captain asks for a review on a refereeing decision. Each team would get one review per half. I think that would improve refereeing standards, knowing that they may be challenged. And likely stop blatant cheating from players diving etc.

People are quick to say get VAR to f*ck, but if we used it in last years league cup final would we have lost? hmmm

Ball should only be deemed out of play if
1. It touches the ground when over the line
2. A player touches the ball when it's over the line

This lets players swing the ball around opposition down the touchline and at corners, imagine the panic in defences as the ball swings back onto the park from behind the goal.
Also stops crap guessing decisions from linesmen who cant keep up with play.
I remember a goal for Scotland where Charlie Adam swung ball in from left wing and we scored only for linesman to chop it off for going out of play. TV cameras showed it clearly didn't.

We have a winner
I hate that scum mate with every bone in my body,prob due to the fact that over here ,its bitter republicans mostly that follow them .Even seeing a hooped horror in town has me grinding my teeth. I can never understand how some so called bears like lego and m c gregor end up in that cult .
Only person that played for them that i ve any respect for is the late great Bertie Peacock .
He was a super stripe and a gentleman around Coleraine Showgrounds

Change CL to league winners, in the hope it leads to greater distribution of wealth & talent amongst a number of European leagues.

The uefa cup & the cup winners cup make a a return in place of the EL & the abysmally named ‘conference league’.

Not sure I’d change anything about the actual in game aspects. I would also do away with academies up until a certain age (say 12).

How would that work realistically though.

Just look at the last 9 years in our league. Can you imagine if Celtic then had CL money (a lot more of it at that) every season. They'd be in a whole other stratosphere.

Teams would dominate domestically until the end of time.

Of all the ills the SFA has visited upon Scottish football one of the worst is the Compliance Officer and retrospective action. It’s a shite idea which they have managed to make even shitier by their complete inability to be fair and even handed.

How would that work realistically though.

Just look at the last 9 years in our league. Can you imagine if Celtic then had CL money (a lot more of it at that) every season. They'd be in a whole other stratosphere.

Teams would dominate domestically until the end of time.
Possibly, to counter your Celtic point though if we had direct access to the CL in 11/12 maybe we never end up where we ended up?.

More emphasis on academies, promising players from second fiddle teams in their league might stay put to challenge domestically rather than hopping to England.

Sporting are top of the Primeira league with no CL income, Porto are in the knock out stages so there is ways around it.

I just don’t like the fact the CL has essentially became a play ground for Bayern, English clubs & Barca/Real.

As the top 5 leagues get better, the others get poorer.

You do make a good point, but most leagues are dominated by a single team already, Juve, Bayern, PSG & Spain is 1/2 clubs.

This year is the exception though as Lyon, Lille, Leipzig, Leverkusen, Milan clubs & Atleti are making a challenge for the title.

The teams that dominate would be doing that regardless due to their fan base & they are the most appealing to investors.

Just feel that if for example player X was playing for a 4th placed team in Spain & they no longer got CL they might head to say Belgium in search of it.

So rather than the top 5 leagues being stock piled with the best players in the world, they are essentially distributed between the ‘better’ leagues.

I like the early 90s CL format better is the best way to put it, nostalgia loyal :))

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I'd dissolve the mechanism which facilitates bias to applicants from an rc background within the governing bodies of the game.......needs to change, must change!

Back